Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - many questions...

Reply to topic
Pius II.
many questions...
Post Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2000 9:19 pm

Hello.
I have a GameGear which seems to have a broken power conversion.
As I don´t know where I could get a new one, I wonder if I could fix it somehow.
When I had got the platine out of the case and tryed a bit with a device to find out the polarity of diodes.
Now I wonder: there are to two grey elements almost in the middle of the circuit, next to one which is obviously
a diode. But when I try my meter on them, it reports that they are passable in both directions, meaning they
can´t be diodes, at least not properly functioning ones. But they can´t be resistors either, cause they don´t have
the color keys, and aren´t the same type as the other resistors on the boards. Condensators also can´t be, cause
they are passable. So what are they? Please help me!

BTW, I´m sorry for my horrible english, I thought I knew it, but I don´t seem to.

I will post a few other questions later.

Falls hier jemand deutsch kann, mit resistors meine ich Widerstände, passable soll leitend heissen.
Sagt mir die richtigen Vokabeln!

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 1:11 am
> Hello.
> I have a GameGear which seems to have a broken power conversion.
> As I don´t know where I could get a new one, I wonder if I could fix it somehow.
> When I had got the platine out of the case and tryed a bit with a device to find out the polarity of diodes.
> Now I wonder: there are to two grey elements almost in the middle of the circuit, next to one which is obviously
> a diode. But when I try my meter on them, it reports that they are passable in both directions, meaning they
> can´t be diodes, at least not properly functioning ones. But they can´t be resistors either, cause they don´t have
> the color keys, and aren´t the same type as the other resistors on the boards. Condensators also can´t be, cause
> they are passable. So what are they? Please help me!

Can you take a picture of them (maybe one zoomed in, and one showing the whole circuit)? I don't have a game gear so I can't see it myself.

> BTW, I´m sorry for my horrible english, I thought I knew it, but I don´t seem to.

Heh. Your grammar is better than most American high school graduates.

> I will post a few other questions later.

> Falls hier jemand deutsch kann, mit resistors meine ich Widerstände, passable soll leitend heissen.
> Sagt mir die richtigen Vokabeln!

"Resistors" is correct. For "passable", I think the right term is uh... conductive? (my electronics vocabulary is limited, I definately know what you're saying though).
I'm not sure what a Condensator is, though. (capacitors?)
Consolemu
I agree :o)
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 3:48 am
You English is very well written. I'm full blooded American (African American actually) and there's some adults that spell the animal cat like this: katt. Hell, some of my cousins don't even know what the fuck a verb or an adjective is.

> > Falls hier jemand deutsch kann, mit resistors meine ich Widerstände, passable soll leitend heissen.
> > Sagt mir die richtigen Vokabeln!

Could you translate this? Is this German or Dutch because of deutsch?

> "Resistors" is correct. For "passable", I think the right term is uh... conductive? (my electronics vocabulary is limited, I definately know what you're saying though).

I think passable simply means it passes or travels through correctly. Or conductive like you said.

> I'm not sure what a Condensator is, though. (capacitors?)

I think so.

Chris :o)

• Site Admin
Re: I agree :o)
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 5:21 am
> > > Falls hier jemand deutsch kann, mit resistors meine ich Widerstände, passable soll leitend heissen.
> > > Sagt mir die richtigen Vokabeln!

> Could you translate this? Is this German or Dutch because of deutsch?

German.
more or less:
"If anyone hear can speak German. I with 'resistors' I mean resistors[in german: Widerstände], 'passable' should be conductive. Tell me the correct vocabulary!"

> I think passable simply means it passes or travels through correctly. Or conductive like you said.

yeah, he was wondering what the proper terminology is, I'm not sure if 'conductive' is quite right for the context but it's close enough.

Pius II.
Picture
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 9:42 am
I have scanned some pictures but I don´t know how to put them into the posting.
I got myself a free homepage to put the pictures on it and link to them, but it seems as if the provider
doesn´t like linking, so they don´t show up.

I try to put the URL into this posting...

Pius II.
Re: Picture
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 9:06 pm
Ok, you seem to have to click on the URL and then hit refresh

I´d appreciate if anyone could tell me where to find a good free
service to store my pics in. I only need 100 kb :-(

• Site Admin
Re: Picture
Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2000 10:59 pm
> Ok, you seem to have to click on the URL and then hit refresh

> I´d appreciate if anyone could tell me where to find a good free
> service to store my pics in. I only need 100 kb :-(

Hmm, I see a lot of people using Geocities to link pictures in.
I don't know what Geocities thinks of that though.

You can always make a small HTML file that's just the basic HTML skeleton with a tag that loads your picture in, that's good enough.

(having looked at the picture I don't have anything to add, but hopefully someone else has some information)
Fuses?
Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2000 2:49 pm
> Hello.
> I have a GameGear which seems to have a broken power conversion.
> As I don´t know where I could get a new one, I wonder if I could fix it somehow.
> When I had got the platine out of the case and tryed a bit with a device to find out the polarity of diodes.
> Now I wonder: there are to two grey elements almost in the middle of the circuit, next to one which is obviously
> a diode. But when I try my meter on them, it reports that they are passable in both directions, meaning they
> can´t be diodes, at least not properly functioning ones. But they can´t be resistors either, cause they don´t have
> the color keys, and aren´t the same type as the other resistors on the boards. Condensators also can´t be, cause
> they are passable. So what are they? Please help me!

I'd say they were fuses - they look similar to the ones inside the SMS and Mega Drive.

Mike
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!