Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Alex Kidd in High Tech World

Reply to topic
Alex Kidd in High Tech World
Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:02 am
[Admin: thread split from here due to topic change and refreshing lack of aqua_hedgehog]

Was I the only one that actually liked Alex Kidd in HighTech World? :(

..I never did make it to the forest stage
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:54 am
My guess is you never found the piece of notepaper behind the slow clock.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:36 am
I liked it, and yes, it was that piece. I think I stopped caring about finishing the game when I read a walkthrough and saw what you have to do to get the town pass.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:04 pm
DMEnduro wrote
I liked it, and yes, it was that piece. I think I stopped caring about finishing the game when I read a walkthrough and saw what you have to do to get the town pass.

Actually there's several way to get the town pass. The cheap one often mentionned is to pray one hundred time but there's other solutions as far as I remember.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:33 pm
It's weird, but am I the only one that likes the Japanese version of this game (Anmitsu Hime) better for some reason? ;P
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:40 pm
Can we discuss that away from this horrible thread?
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:49 am
lol.. awe and here I was thinking this thread was all karma.

you do of course have the devine power to split this topic if you prefer.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:07 am
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yeah, I can :)

The fact that AKHTW was just a lazy sprite hack meant that the vast majority of the game was identical to AH, thus making it as jarring as, for example, that Sonic-Boy in Monster Land hack. If they'd remade all the graphics to actually fit in the Alex Kidd universe it wouldn't have been so bad.

Thus, as a game, and ignoring the fact that it's kind of stupid and annoying, AH wins for at least being somewhat coherent. The only problem is, it's in Japanese and I can't read it.

Interesting old forum posts about Anmitsu Hime/Alex Kidd in High-Tech World:

Anmitsu Hime vs. Alex Kidd: High Tech World
Anmitsu Hime manga
Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:56 am
here's some maps..

http://www.alex-kidd.com/hightechworld/maps.php
Post Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:56 pm
I get a kick on the Alex version with the 6 maids, there are actually two answers. In the Japanese version, they had the same names each play with one set answer every time. The English Alex Kidd version on the other hand, were random with the names, as well as the answer... BUT......

Ever notice that 'sometimes' when you click a name, weather you were right or wrong, you would head a 'ding'? Well here's the trick, since the Japanese version had set answers, they didn't remove the feature in the English version. In fact, if you input the Japese order of answers, you can still get the piece of letter (and it dings with every answer). So the correct order of choises thall will always work is:

2 4 3
6 1 5

Looks as though they were either a little slack in removing some code, or just didn't understand it and left it, adding their own solution as well.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:21 am
I just replayed this game the other night. Still as frustrating as ever, with some of the cheapest deaths imaginable. Like when it asks you if you want to put on armor and you agree (like you would in ANY other game) and then it tells you the armor is too heavy and you can't move. Game over. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. Those two ninja levels are insanely tough as well, not that they are overly complex or challenging, but instead because there are just so many enemies and Alex only gets one hit. It's like the programmers realized that the game is quite short, and to add longevity made it close to impossible. Lame.

Still though, I'm somehow drawn to this game, it's a fun concept and an interesting deviation for the Kidd series. Looking back now, it's interesting to see how Sega saw Alex Kidd as a franchise more than it did a genre. Today we hear a name, like Halo, and immediately think FPS, or Mario and immediately think platformer. But when it came to the Kidd, Sega was pushing creativity by instead using the name to sell a completely different genre. We get a BMX game, a Shinobi hack and slash, a platformer, an arcade game and finally a weird sort of RPG. I'm sure most of us just wanted more platformers, but still, what they did here, at the very least, will always stand out as unique.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:36 am
grolt wrote
Today we hear a name, like Halo, and immediately think FPS, or Mario and immediately think platformer.

That's not true for Mario these days - he's in all kinds of games: beat 'em ups (Smash Bros. series), sports games (that Basketball game on the DS and Mario Strikers -- or something -- on the Wii), puzzles (Dr Mario, Yoshi's Cookie), racing (Mario Kart series), etc.

Not that I'm a Mario fan. :)
me
Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:52 am
I like that game too.
I actually managed to beat it.
Also there are 3 possibilities to get the passport:
1 Pray 100 times
2 Pay 2000 Gp
3 go to the military thing when it is XX:00

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!