Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Fantasy Zone [v0] (SMS/JP), Fantasy Zone [v1] [Proto] (SMS), Summer Games [Proto] (SMS)

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Fantasy Zone [v0] (SMS/JP), Fantasy Zone [v1] [Proto] (SMS), Summer Games [Proto] (SMS)
Post Posted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:37 pm
Sorry for the lack of updates, August was a complete miss. Begging your pardon, Today's releases features everyone's favorite courageous hero!

Long ago, far away in space,
there existed a "Fantasy
Zone" where a courageous
hero called Opa-Opa (the
player) fought in a valiant
cause to rescue the "Fantasy
Zone" from its enemies.

In the space year 6216, the
interplanetary monetary
system collapsed, causing all
of the planets to become
panic-stricken.

According to an official
inquiry made by the space
guild, someone is leading the
Menon planet forces, using
them to steal the foreign
currencies of the other
planets, and with the funds,
construct a huge fortress in
the "Fantasy Zone". To put an
end to their ambitious plans,
Opa-Opa promptly takes off
for the "Fantasy Zone"
where..."

First we have the initial Fantasy Zone [v0] build for the Master System (ファンタジーゾーン [v0]), as released in Japan in the first batch of cartridges. This isn't a particularly rare find, and in fact I think I'm sitting on this one since quite a bit (thanks Enri for first submitting it), but it's the proper initial build with probable subtle bugs or things that were changed afterward. Later cartridges found in Japan used a later v2 build.

A gap?
And there it is of course, Fantasy Zone [v1] [Proto] (ファンタジーゾーン [v1] [Proto]), as far as I know a prototype since I only found this build in an early production run (thanks Raccoon Lad!). I can't confirm being it 100% a prototype, but the bunch of regular Fantasy Zone cartridges I got access to and dumped all contained a [v2] build so I'll assume it is. You should be already playing this.

Don't run yet! We also have a Summer Games [Prototype] for the Master System. Five sports events, unfortunately the gameplay and artwork of Summer Games isn't better in the prototype than in the final version, it's pretty much misery. Oh wait, the scoreboard uses different graphics!
opaopa.jpg (119.71 KB)
opaopa.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:08 am
What you don't mention about the Summer Games-proto here, is that it has FM sound! Since the released version doesn't have it, that must mean they took it out after this build.
Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:03 pm
tommy1983 wrote
What you don't mention about the Summer Games-proto here, is that it has FM sound! Since the released version doesn't have it, that must mean they took it out after this build.

I prefer the PSG. Also, there seems to be some crowd noise during the event intro music (not present in the final version).

Was this prototype dated?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!