SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Unimportant Post

Reply to topic
Consolemu
Unimportant Post
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2000 6:44 pm
I know this has nothing to do with Sega-Dev but has anyone seriously taken the time to look at the quality of the graphics in games today? I know this sounds silly, sure it's obvious to see the new 3D games and stuff but I'm talking about can you catch on to some of the same/old techniques they use in sprite games today? For instance, I rented Marvel VS Capcom for DC last night and before I even played it, I sat still and watched the intros and all the flashy graphics and stuff. It's amazing how they were able to pack so many pictures and graphics into one game! There's some animations that are updated almost every 1/60 of a sec and others that are updated later on and stuff. There's pallete rotations, lots of tiny sprites, lots of huge sprites. And what's amazing is that all of this stuff runs smooth. Without any frameloss. What's also amazing is that they don't use any transparencies, only screen flashes and stuff. Even little things, like the screen scrolling is so much more advanced now. Most games back in the day only scrolled at a constant speed. In this one, the game scrolls depending on player positions and speeds and stuff. If one player does a huge jump, the camera will follow the player as fast as it could all the way to the top of the screen, even when you move side to side the screen scrolls left and right at the speed of the player, and vise versa. There's little animations in the background and everything. And when I read through the credits, it took damn there 100 or so people to code that game.

But anyway, now that I'm out of summer school I'm going to consider some things. I don't want to say what they are or plan to have them done or anything because like Zoop said, they rarely work out and people loose patience with you. I'm just going to work on it at my pace and see how things work out.

Chris :o)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!