SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega 8-bit based / SMS Power T-Shirts

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  • Site Admin
Sega 8-bit based / SMS Power T-Shirts
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:38 am
Manest sent me a message suggesting that we could do some SMS Power-labelled merchandising, showing me test pictures he made from a french website offering tshirt services (http://www.comboutique.com/shop/homepage.php):

Several worldwide sites have similar offers, often even with calendars, posters, mugs, underwears, whatever you can think of. Can anyone recommend a particular one?

Of course the above are quick tests. Maybe some talented artist can make dedicated designs that would be stunning, wonderful, and make everyone jaelous. I mean, make every geek jaelous. I don't mind wearing a geek t-shirt showing big pixels in answer to all those ugly NES controllers t-shirts. Do you?
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:19 pm
Nice idea, but I think the images on those two are a bit large - I'd personally prefer one with a smaller pic, and both the SMS Power logo & 'In pixels we trust'.
It'd be pretty cool if you could get them in "SMS Power blue" aswell ;)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:29 pm
Cafepress is the "big" one that I've seen most often, and they offer a huge range of items (basically, they just make them to order with computerised systems so there's no need to pay up-front for 500 items or whatever). I did try it out once (to see what's available) but I was disappointed that there's nothing even close to the gloroius #006699 blue of SMS Power. They have a reputation for being a bit expensive and not very good quality. But we would be able to make Alex Kidd underwear and dog T-shirts.

I think they also had a warning about using copyrighted images. Then again, see here for something approaching what we might do. I would personally prefer something a little more subtle, with small images instead of huge visible-from-space sprites. Cafepress supports "pocket" locations but charges the same as for a full-size full-colour image.

There's a list of alternatives here. Some offer more colour choices; here's one I quickly mocked up:

They all seem to be quite expensive...
Post Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:24 am
id steer clear of anything made with heat transfers like cafepress, the quality and durability is poor compared to silk screened prints and it will probably cost more especially if youre going with a single color logo. also in regards to the size of the print you might consider that huge prints sometimes make the shirt uncomfortable as it creates a big stiff area and can lead to chafing. personally i thought the diagram of the sms from the manual would be a cool thing to have on the back of a shirt, and then a smspower logo with some characters surrounding it on the front, thatd be my idea.
Steve
Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:54 pm
I recommend Zazzle.com

Only 10 bucks a T if you buy a 100 of them.
IMO they will be sold immediatly.

Grtz

Steve

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:30 am
I don't know that they would - we probably don't have 100 fully regular visitors, and $1000 is a lot to spend on the possibility that they'll sell well. Problem is, on-demand printing is thermal transfer = not very good; silk-screening demands bulk production which we don't really have the scale for.
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:20 am
Last edited by Galak6 on Mon May 09, 2005 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
It could be very cool for this summer to wear one smspower shirt !

here is my idea (much more alex kidd related than sms stuff)

sms t-shirt
Steve
Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:01 pm
I like it!

Post Posted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:02 pm
Great idea. I like Skillionaire's idea the most!
Post Posted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:28 am
I bought a hat from Cafepress once, and after paying through the nose for it, and after it getting lost in the mail and having to get another one sent, I was extremely disappointed in the quality of it.
The hat itself was fine, and the logo/badge was fine too (although not what I had expected), but the badge was glued on with fabric glue, so that after two months, it just fell off and I had to get somebody to sew it on properly.

:thumbsdown:
Post Posted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:50 am
I dont care how you do it, just make me some shirts. Ones with Alex Kidd on them. Do it now!

Seiously though, I would not think twice about buying an SMS T-Shirt, and I dont think it would be too hard to sell 100 or so shirts.

And that rock paper sissors t-shirt owns, man.
Post Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 11:01 pm
Last edited by Galak6 on Mon May 09, 2005 5:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
I have made one prototype of my "janken" smspower shirt

here and a zoom of the logo
Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 10:47 am
That looks pretty smooth man.
marvinrules
Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:27 pm
Yes, that rock-paper-scissors shirt is the best idea IMO.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:56 am
Let's resume this topic.
We need t-shirt designs for 2006 competitors. Please submit ideas and mockups!

Galak6: your files are offlines now.. please upload the pictures on this forum.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:27 am
ok i just threw this together, pretty much what i was thinking of before, i like something like this because its simple (2 colors) so it can be easily silk screened also i think it looks good on a black shirt.
smspowertshirtfront3qk.jpg (76.15 KB)
Front
smspowertshirtfront3qk.jpg
smspowertshirtback6tj.jpg (76.46 KB)
Back
smspowertshirtback6tj.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:09 am
I think it should be obvious that designs need to be high-res, so vector artwork is probably the best idea, and any designs should be at about 200dpi or more.

Personally, I want to see something properly 8-bit, no Mega Drive Alex Kidd artwork!
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:05 am
I have that instructive digram done in vector, traced from a Transbot Manual.
Did it in Inkscape, so its SVG. If you have Firefox 1.5 or the Adobe plugin you should be able to see it.
Damn, can't attach svg, so i zipped it.
sms1tb.zip (17.38 KB)
zipped up svg

• Site Admin
SVG attachments
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:21 am
Last edited by Maxim on Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
SVG is not well supported so for now it's treated the same as if you wanted to add an EPS, PDF, AI, etc file. It's somewhat annoying, requiring <embed> tags to display it, so it's not simple to add it here without writing support into the forum code. Plus, when not using .svgz, the files are horribly bloated piles of XML.

---- end of SVG discussion in this thread ----
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:13 am
that alex kidd is from the alex kidd in miracle world markIII box/manual, i just liked it cause its a simple line drawing, and imo looks alot better than the art from the US manual , i just thought id put an idea out there so i didnt include a hi res copy
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:23 am
Yeah, that wasn't a criticism of your design - more aimed at Galak6's design which relies heavily on Enchanted Castle artwork. The high-res warning was for more people wanting to submit designs, to make sure they bear the practicalities in mind.

I made a high-res alpha-blended icon of that Alex Kidd image from the Japanese box and have it associated with .sms files - I quite like it even if it's somewhat obscure.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:50 am
Not much of a complicated design, but I think some Japanese boxes could be good choices:

http://www.smspower.org/scans/showimg.shtml?sms&a/aleste-front1.jpg&Fron...
http://www.smspower.org/scans/showimg.shtml?sms&n/nazca88-front1.jpg&Fro...
http://www.smspower.org/scans/showimg.shtml?sms&s/superwonderboymonsterworld...
http://www.smspower.org/scans/showimg.shtml?sms&y/ys-front3.jpg&Front&am...
http://www.smspower.org/scans/showimg.shtml?gg&m/monsterworldii-front1.jpg&a...

Maxim: YS picture has incorrect size.
Most of the above are of high enough quality, but I can make proper scans on request.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:52 pm
My thoughts on the SMS Power contest shirts:

- I personally would prefer black or a solid color (SMS blue) to white, as I just don't think I look good in white t-shirts. Maybe we should take a poll among potential recipients as to which they would prefer, assuming non-white tshirts are not a great deal more expensive. Or pick a design that would look good on white or black, I imagine we're not printing enough of these to get bulk discounts, so perhaps these could be tailored to the individual recipient, if we want to make life complicated for ourselves.
- Whatever the design, I think the t-shirts should be unique to competition entrants. Even if the design is reused for t-shirts available for general purchase, there ought to be something on it, perhaps some text, to indicate that it's the competition prize. That way we'll know it's irreplacable and we'll know to run into a burning building to retrieve it if necessary.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 pm
here it is my "smspower" shirt :

My tshirt
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:21 am
Heliophobe wrote
My thoughts on the SMS Power contest shirts:

- I personally would prefer black or a solid color (SMS blue) to white, as I just don't think I look good in white t-shirts. Maybe we should take a poll among potential recipients as to which they would prefer, assuming non-white tshirts are not a great deal more expensive. Or pick a design that would look good on white or black, I imagine we're not printing enough of these to get bulk discounts, so perhaps these could be tailored to the individual recipient, if we want to make life complicated for ourselves.
- Whatever the design, I think the t-shirts should be unique to competition entrants. Even if the design is reused for t-shirts available for general purchase, there ought to be something on it, perhaps some text, to indicate that it's the competition prize. That way we'll know it's irreplacable and we'll know to run into a burning building to retrieve it if necessary.

I fully agree with you on that Heliophobe.

Keep logos small as I would not wear a shirt that has a big opa opa or something on it people would look at me like I am weird or something. I would prefer like a nice cool blue colour. I would not also be a fan of a long sleeved shirt. Our summers are just too hot here in Australia so I want to keep cool.

And yes the T-Shirts should be unique to cometition entrants eg have a logo, the SMSPower! logo and then have for example "2006 Music Competition Entrant" or "2006 Coding Competition Entrant", I dunno if we should have competition rankings on the shirts or something??

Anyways I would prefer a nice small SMSPower logo maybe with a nice sized opa opa or something, not something with a huge thing on the front of it.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:18 pm
I think that most of us have the same idea about how the t-shirt must be.
I've made a very basic prototype of how I suppose we want the t-shirt, with a front and a back side:

http://inicia.es/de/miraroms/images/smshirt.png

It's just an approach, but that's the idea, or not?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:36 pm
That's the idea. I like keeping it simple at least on the front side. If there is a design on the back I don't mind it being a little more elaborate, but keep in mind dual-sided printing on colored shirts might cost more than the prize fund will allow (but if it's not a lot more than the prize fund, I wouldn't mind pitching in a couple more bucks to cover it).
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:13 pm
Galak6 wrote
here it is my "smspower" shirt :

My tshirt

I liked that !
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:46 pm
I looked at a couple of options besides CafePress, listed on the site that Maxim linked to earlier in the thread:

www.customink.com claims to do screen printing (same as silk screening?) in low volumes and has a variety of colors, including a 'teal' that looks to be in the ballpark of SMSPower blue. Higher quality print methods are good because it means you can wash your t-shirt more than a couple of times before the image dissolves. This one seems to let you mix and match various sizes in the same design. I couldn't get a quote as I their shirtmaker applet wasn't working for me.

www.zazzle.com - Offers light and dark colored shirts in separate categories, though the lights are too light and the darks too dark to approach SMSPower blue. Black or Navy might be an option, though. Offers quantity discounts but only if the size and design don't change. I put together a quote for around $270 for 13 shirts with mixed sizes - which is sort of pushing it since we still need to pay shipping and -then- mail them out to the participants. Not sure what printing method they use, if they don't say I suspect it's thermal transfer, which is not the best.

Additional concerns might be that the printer may assert some sort of ownership or rights to your design after you upload it (I've heard such things about cafepress) and if printing more than one kind of shirt is expensive or a hassle. We may want to condense into a single 2006 Competitions shirt for both musicians and coders.

Also there's the matter of where they're located and who's in charge of shipping them out. As US printer might charge an arm and a leg for shipping to Europe, and shipping them to someone in the US and having them forward them on to the contestants isn't such a great idea since I think I might be the only one who entered who's in the US. So picking a printer in Europe might be smarter.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:10 am
http://www.customink.com seems very good. Their applet works surprisingly well here (except for weird handling of transparency in pictures) and generally they seems trustable with the look of their text.

When you upload a picture you get the manually select the palette matching colors on your picture. Which is tedious but honnest and the best way not to get a bad surprise when the t-shirt shows up.

I did a simple test with a small SMS Power! logo on the front and a big pixellated Opa Opa on the back. First thing to note: if using more than 5 colors for printing, you have to order at least 48 t-shirts.

Some quotes I got, for L-sized:
Front 1 color, Back 10 colors, 48 shirts: $18.37 each
Front 1 color, Back 7 colors, 48 shirts: $15.68 each
Front 1 color, Back 6 colors, 48 shirts: $15.68 each
Front 1 color, Back 5 colors, 48 shirts: $13.76 each
Front 1 color, Back 5 colors, 13 shirts: $21.87 each (we have 13 winners)
Front 1 color, Back 3 colors, 13 shirts: $18.48 each

So if we want to stick art either it'll have to be 5 colors max, either we have to produce 48 shirts. Note that I don't mind paying for 35 additionnals shirts to resell them to users here but in this case they should be generic SMS Power! tshirts and may not be tied to the competition event (maybe we can stick a 2006) because I'll never be able to resell 35 tshirts marked "Competition Winner".

13 shirts at $21.87 is $284, shipping seems free, I suppose to USA (thanks Heliophobe!). Shipping 12 shirts in various location, possibly combining by country (2 in France, 2 in Australia) would cost, say, 12*6=$72, means we're $52 over our pool. I can cover that unless someone (EXCEPT Heliophobe) wants to donate.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:39 am
Bock wrote

13 shirts at $21.87 is $284, shipping seems free, I suppose to USA (thanks Heliophobe!).

If you're implying that I'd be the on receiving and sending out the shirts, it's surprising that you'd trust me with such a task considering my track record.

You can always punch me in the stomach at E3 if I don't follow through, though.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:27 am
How about something like this then?
smspower-shirt.png (28.7 KB)
smspower-shirt.png

Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 am
Thats good but I would prefer a SMS Power blue shirt with white writing. Very good DMEnduro. This is also what I was thinking more of.
Post Posted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm
I really like Skillionaire's idea of using the system diagram on the back. That'd look really nice.

Mentioning the 9th Anniversary like DMEnduro's design is a good idea, too, I think.

Then, of course, I'm always partial to Opa Opa, so getting the ship on there somewhere would be nice.

But if you're only planning on making 13 shirts just for the competition contributors, the I guess my opinion on the matter is moot.

Going back to the earlier part of this discussion, though, I don't think it would be that hard to sell 100 shirts. If we all spread the word around, I think people would be interested assuming it was a nice design and priced under or around $20US. I know quite a few SMS fans that don't come around here. Hell, *I* don't come around here all that often. Maybe for the 10th Anniversary a larger run of shirts could be made. And perhaps the proper shade of blue could even be tracked down for that, too.

...word is bondage...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:24 am
I'd favor the blue shirt with an SMSPower logo in the front on the front in the pocket area (not that the shirt should have a pocket, you know what I mean) or across the chest, with some small text below it mentioning the contest (Just a simple "2006 Music and Coding Competition"). On the back, a nice SMS themed design would be good, I'm open to anything*. I'd rather not have the shirt scream "Look at me I won some obscure contest!" because then everyone would ask me about it and I'd feel silly.

(*Within reason, I'm not so sure I want to wear a shirt with Alex Kidd in bondage gear bending Mario over a chair, even if it was in 5 vivid colors).
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:52 am
So have we decided on a final design so the competition contributors can get their T-Shirts??
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:42 am
I haven't heard any more about it that has been mentioned in this thread, so I'd say no.

If any of the contestants have any input, now would be the time to share it. Ideally we should be able to settle on a design and wrap it up by the end of the week.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:27 am
OK but be aware easter is coming up so we will all be busy eating brownies and chocolate but yes that would be good.

Where do we go to design them?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:47 pm
Heliophobe wrote
If any of the contestants have any input, now would be the time to share it. Ideally we should be able to settle on a design and wrap it up by the end of the week.

I'd prefer a black shirt, but would be happy with some shade of blue - not so much white, but I wouldn't hate it.

"Skillionaire"'s white on black line drawing of the SMS was pretty cool, I thought. Maybe have that on the front, with the SMS Power! logo on the back, with something like "2006 coding and music competitions" underneath it.

Apart from that, I don't mind. I don't even mind if it's completely different to what I described above... That's just my "ideal" shirt, I guess.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:21 pm
I think Bock is busy...

If anyone else wants to post a design for the back of the shirt, go ahead and maybe we'll all vote on the possibilities. Remember that the designs should be of sufficiently high resolution and be in no more than five colors over a colored (probably blue) background. I still haven't gotten that shirtmaker applet to run for me but I imagine that if it's screen printing then you should use solid color areas only. Don't use dithering to blend colors.

Of course if you only have a low-res mockup, you can post that but you should be able to generate a high-res version if it's selected for the design. Of course if it's a big blocky pixel design I guess we can scale it up ourselves.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:11 pm
Here's a non-anti aliasing render of text to fit on the front. Would that be OK?

SMS diagram is nice but I'm not sure it'll look right on a blue tshirt, would fit better on black.
smspower_shirts_2006_front.gif (11.4 KB)
SMS Power logo
smspower_shirts_2006_front.gif

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:26 pm
Please post suggested back design. Must be 5 colors max.
WB3.gif (1.35 KB)
WB3.gif

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:35 pm
SMS BIOS logo on the back?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:57 pm
I'm cool with a black shirt --- actually, I'd prefer it.

The bios logo or diagram are both nice and can be done with 3 colors or 1 color, so that would save a bit of money and offset the shipping cost, or even let us order an extra shirt or two in case somebody's gets lost in the mail. Which is not to say I'd have anything against a really awesome 5 color design if it came up.

The other nice thing about the diagram and bios logo is that they are quintessentially Sega without being too much of a tribute to a particular game. Some games are also so classically a part of the SMS world that elements from them would work too, such as Alex Kidd, Fantasy Zone, and maybe WBIII. Or the snail race snail, but there's not a lot you can do with a character that small.

Of what I've seen so far I think I'd have a slight preference for the BIOS logo on a black shirt, but I don't feel too passionate about it so speak up if you disagree.

Another thought, sticking with thing's quintessentially sega, is to make a fake SMS Box design for a (nonexistant) cartridge containing the entries. Something could be done in the minimal style of early US SMS box design that wouldn't use too many colors. I am too lame to do anything with that idea myself, but if someone wants to take it and run with it, then go for it.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:54 pm
just to be your black sheep... you can't use copyrighted stuff for T-shirts, unless you ask (and pay) for a permission. this means, no Alex Kidd, no Sonic, and so on.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:06 pm
Tommaso, I'm not sure that SMS Power is the most respectful site in term of copyright issues (hint). And I think it's fair use to do a few dozen shirts.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:23 pm
oh ok lol.

{ot: do you know that the list you linked uses two different date formats? up to "Doraemon Waku Waku Pocket Paradise", dates are like 2004/08/28 (yyyy/mm/dd), then, starting from "Pinball Dreams", dates are like 07/07/04 (mm/dd/yy).}
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:36 pm
Tommaso.Accinelli wrote
{ot: do you know that the list you linked uses two different date formats? up to "Doraemon Waku Waku Pocket Paradise", dates are like 2004/08/28 (yyyy/mm/dd), then, starting from "Pinball Dreams", dates are like 07/07/04 (mm/dd/yy).}

Yes. Good old, out-of-date HTML pages.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:31 pm
Just throwing an idea out here guys but embroidered patches could be an option and might be cheaper (and easier) to have made and distributed.

I had a run of 50 made for a company promotion, they were 2 USD a piece and I believe there was a setup fee but it was no more than 25-50 USD. These patches were later sewn onto polo shirts I acquired cheaply in bulk but I'm sure a decent embroidery company would offer to take care of this as well.

An SMS Power logo done in the Master System font would look good sewn over one breast of a shirt, imo. Embroidery is a whole lot more durable than silk screen.
Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:46 am
hmm good poing bratwurst

That is definitely worth a look
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!