6 50% 50%
7 37% 37%
8 12% 12%
9 - Excellent 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2019] The Coastal Town of Baraboro by Immo
Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:12 pm
This is my remix of the "Coastal Town of Baraboro" theme from Wonder Boy in Monster Land. This theme plays in most of the towns in the SMS version of the game. I've made this remix in Cubase Elements 9, with a somewhat dubious attempt at mastering using Audacity.

http://www.smspower.org/Music/TheCoastalTownOfBaraboro-Homebrew

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm
I'll say this with all the love in my comment, please, please lower your crash cymbals.
They are more than overpowering at this point, they are distracting from enjoy what is a cool, upbeat arrangement of a great song.

that said, i think you might want more velocity variation on your drums, especially the snare.
And you'd need some very skilled musicians to perform this arrangement like, especially the 2nd half with the lead instrument being a woodwind, fast phrasing like that ends up sounding unnatural because not everyone can do that. :)

Like i said, i really love the arrangement, and if you fix the crash cymbal, i can even give you a higher score. :)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:19 am
tibone wrote
I'll say this with all the love in my comment, please, please lower your crash cymbals.
They are more than overpowering at this point, they are distracting from enjoy what is a cool, upbeat arrangement of a great song.

Thanks for the advice. You know what? I think I've listened to this so many times now that I kind of tuned it out. You're right of course and now that it's been pointed out I can hear exactly what you mean.

tibone wrote
Like i said, i really love the arrangement, and if you fix the crash cymbal, i can even give you a higher score. :)

Surely I can't submit an updated version now that the deadline has passed... can I? :-)

I'll be updating it in any case. It's being used in my monsterland re-imagining, and I'll be releasing the first video demo of this project in a few months :-)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:13 pm
I enjoyed listening to this tune :)
Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am
The coastal town of Baraboro - and its tune - is my favorite part of Wonder Boy in Monster Land! I like the cheerful and upbeat approach you haven taken here, and could not help rocking a little in my chair as I listened :)
Post Posted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:09 am
I've finally gotten around tor updating my Barabaro theme song well after the comp has ended haha

If you have any thoughts I'd love to hear them. I'm still a beginner when it comes to this stuff and feel I could use all the help I could get :-)
WBiML-Baraboro2.mp3 (6.78 MB)

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!