Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Whodunit: Lee Sanghun?

Reply to topic
Whodunit: Lee Sanghun?
Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:45 am
Was GP Rider for the Game Gear developed in South Korea?

I was looking through some ROMs and noticed this in GP Rider - text from the title screen/menus...

ONE PLAYER
TWO PLAYERS
1994 SEGA
1994 LEE SANGHUN=
TOURNAMENT
GRAND PRIX
ARCADE   
WORLD TOUR

That "Lee Sanghun" mention is not shown on-screen.

JOHN    JIMMY   MICHAEL LUCA    KENJI   MIGUEL  WAYNE   ALEX    KENNY   DOUG    FREDDIE NIALL   EDDIE   KEVIN   RANDY   PLAYER1 PLAYER2 MR=SHIM MISS=N= K=ONOGI DR=JUNG INCHON  BANGBAE SEPHIA  H=Y=K=  KIM=M=Y D=LINE= KAPIN   J=Y=Y=  ILOVEYK SEXYMAN OZZY=   SANGHUN YUNKI

"JOHN"-"PLAYER2" are rider names. Are the rest staff names? Or perhaps this is all just replacement text for when you play the game on a Korean Game Gear. Does this game have credits?

I think the sign below says "LEE SA" on the bottom.
GP Rider000.png (12.95 KB)
GP Rider000.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:12 pm
It says LEE SH which matches even better.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:30 pm
Turns out Lee Sanghun was the programmer and director on the unlicensed SMS fighting game Sangokushi III.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:06 am
Last edited by derboo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Are there any more known games the guy did?

I know:
Legendly Knight (MSX)
Double Dragon (MSX)
Three Dragon Story (MSX, SMS)

Anything else?

Games that could be:
Cyborg Z (MSX) and Wonsiin (MSX, SMS) look like they run on the same engine as Three Dragon Story. However, I think none of those is dumped yet, right?

(from http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12147): Jang Pung 3 has strong similarities to Sangokushi 3.

Dodgeball King: Published by the same company as Jang Pung 3 and Sangokushi 3, no credits.

Edit: Any Mention of Lee Kyu Hwan in GP Rider and/or Sangokushi 3? The two used to be a team on many of their games.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:00 pm
Had no idea he did all that. I'm reading that SangYoun Lee also worked on some arcade game called FireBall.

Outside of the names I noted above, I don't know if GP Rider has credits. Lee Eunhee is credited with "background and visual design" on Sangokushi III.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:40 pm
Last edited by derboo on Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
I've got to correct myself:

Lee Sangyoun und Lee Sanghun are not the same person! Most Korean sources only mention Sangyoun, I could only find a single source that mentions both.

The source claims that all three (Lee Sangyoun, Lee Sanghun and Lee Kyuhwan) formed a team as which they developed their first games. However, why Lee Sangyoun isn't credited in a single pre-Phantagram game remains a mystery.

Lee Sanghun is said to have split from the team early, which would explain why the later games, like Sangokushi-3 and GP Racer only list him in the credits. What he's doing nowadays: http://comeonbaby.com2us.com/

Another interference:

Sankokushi 3:
Music Composer: Hwang Gyudae

Metal Force (Famicom):
B.G.M. Composer: G.D. Hwang

Seems to be the same person.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:46 pm
I guess you're right. Legendly Knight credits both "Lee Sang Hun" and "Lee Sang Youn."

derboo wrote
Lee Sanghun is said to have split from the team early, which would explain why the later games, like Sangokushi-3 and GP Racer only list him in the credits. What he's doing nowadays is kinda embarassing: http://comeonbaby.com2us.com/

What is that? And where are you finding out about Lee Sanghun?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:06 pm
There's an interview with him (in Korean):
http://www.thisisgame.com/board/view.php?id=12454&board=0&page=15&ca...

It has quite a bit of cool info, but I'm not satisfied. I'm totally going to try to get a few questions through to the man.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:48 pm
The Google translation is confusing and contains swearing...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 am
The Babel Fish translation is confusing and contains no swearing...
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:09 am
Hmm, there's absolutely nothing in the original to justify the swearing... I almost want to think that some moron programmer at google tried to be funny.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:25 am
Google uses statistical translation and also allows people to suggest improved translations that get some statistical weighting. So it's probably a moron on the internet - and there are plenty of those.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:38 pm
For added fun, use Yahoo! Honyaku to translate the Korean into Japanese. Then translate the Japanese into English.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm
Derboo: What is Sanghun's position with Expotato? I'd like to write a post on the GDRI blog about all this stuff. Any more info on Sanghun, et al. would be appreciated.
Post Posted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm
Last edited by derboo on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
He's running the joint. CEO, I guess. In the interview he also briefly mentions his cooperation with SEGA for GP Rider (though he doesn't name the game).

There's also a 1996 PC RPG called EXP: The Excellent Potato by Open, but I don't know if he had anything to do with it.

Lee Sangyoun is CEO of Phantagram, I dunno what he did in between Legendly Knight and the founding of Phantagram.

Lee Kyuhwan is credited on the Zemina games Lee Sanghun did (Double Dragon and The Three Dragon Story). He co-founded Phantagram, currently he's with a company called Nemonix.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:55 am
Were these guys were some of Korea's first game developers?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:36 pm
Yeah, not the very first, but close.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:31 am
I read another article confirming Lee Sanghun for some of the games that were suspected. Here's my current list of confirmed games by him:

Legendly Knight - MSX (1988)
Double Dragon - MSX, probably Master System (1989)
The Three Dragon Story - MSX, Master System (1989)
Samgukji / Sankokuji 3 - Master System (1994) [btw. I find it odd to use a Japanese transcription for a Korean program based on a Chinese series]
Jang Pung 3 - Master System (1994)
GP Rider - Game Gear (1994)
EXP - The Excellent Potato - PC (1996) [was originally planned as a Mega Drive game]
Come on Baby series - Arcade, PC, PS2 (2000-2010)

He did also that arcade game called Fireball, but if I'm not mistaken, that's not a video game. There has been an arcade machine by that title in 1992, and it was a machine where you shoot balls up a ramp to hit through opening and closing doors. Of course the name "Fireball" isn't very distinctive, so I can't be 100% sure about that yet.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 am
derboo wrote
I read another article

Could you post that source please?
Post Posted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 am
OK, but it is a print article in Korean.

It is a report about the development of EXP - The Excellent Potato, introducing Lee Sanghun as staff member. I also added a closeup of his profile, with Jang Pung (it actually says Jang Pung series, but I wouldn't take Jang Pung II as confirmed just yet) and Samgukji/Sankokuji (although he's confirmed by the credits for that anyway) marked red.
gamecom96-02p60.jpg (150.29 KB)
gamecom96-02p60.jpg
gamecom96-02p61.jpg (180.97 KB)
gamecom96-02p61.jpg
leesanghun.jpg (33.25 KB)
leesanghun.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:08 am
Wow that's really cool, Phantagram is one of my favorite developers.
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 1:11 pm
Wrote a new blog post on GDRI about Sanghun Lee, plugging Derboo's research:
http://gdri.smspower.org/wiki/index.php/Blog:Seoul_Train
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 2:10 pm
Great post. There's one small fact I didn't know before that need correction, though. Lee Sanghun split with Lee Sangyoun and Lee Kyuhwan before the founding of Phantagram, or actually it seems the other two were the ones that split. All three were shown in a 1992 article featuring the founding of Open, but the latter two don't appear in any known Open game credits (the credits for the two 1992 games, Wonder Kid and Red Wiz, are unknown, though), and of course they founded Phantagram by 1994.

There also seems to have been some kind of relationship going on between Open, Sieco and Gameline. Jang Pung 3 is copyright by both Open and Sieco, and Dodgeball King by Gameline is full of signs reading "Open" in game. Samgukji 3 is mostly by the same people as Jang Pung 3 save for the artists, and it doesn't have any mention of Open whatsoever. I sent an email to Expotato asking for an interview, but I haven't got any reply at all, so far (sent it on monday).

Oh, and btw., Jang Pung 3 was released before Samgukji 3, if you care about the exact order.
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:02 pm
Were there more people involved with New Age than just Sanghun, Sangyoun, and Kyuhwan? Were Sangyoun and Kyuhwan the only co-founders of Phantagram?
Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:33 pm
For the people from the credits of Legendly Knight, aside from the three known guys:

Choe Ji Young -> Worked on the 2000 RTS Kingdom under Fire (credited as JiYoung Choe) and maybe Zyclunt, I don't know

Kim Kwon You -> Never saw that name elsewhere

Choi Kyu Chul -> Never saw that name elsewhere

Lee Gil Ho -> Worked on Zyclunt/Blade Warrior, Kingdom under Fire and Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders (credited as GilHo Lee)

Doo Jin -> Was managing the games publishing at Topia, so he wasn't really part of the actual team. Later became president (and maybe was the founder) of Softry, a PC game developer and school active from 1994-1998.

So Choe Jiyoung and Lee Gilho were also involved with Phantagram, but Lee Kyuhwan and Lee Sangyoun were the bosses.

Also never saw Choe Jiyoung and Lee Gilho assossiated with Open, so it is likely they were "called back" by the other two for Phantagram. Wish I had the full credits for Zyclunt, though...

Double Dragon was done by just Lee Sanghun and Lee Kyuhwan, Three Dragon Story by the two and musician Kwon Daeyong, who later also worked for Open (and even later did the music for Astonishia Story on Sonnori team).
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!