Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Korean Games

Reply to topic
Korean Games
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:09 pm
I've just posted a message but it seems to of dissapeared. Anyway - what i was saying was that I like the new forum. Plus I'm going to Korea soon. Is it worth getting any SMS stuff and if so are they worth anything do you think? Sounds a bit ruthless but I'm curious!

Cheers

Ken Dood
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:20 pm
From what others have said, it's far from easy to find *any* old videogames stuff in Korea. If you know some locals, they might be able to help.

Certainly, official (Samsung) games will be in demand from collectors, and pretty much anything will be in demand because there's virtually no Korean games/hardware outside Korea, so that will make it all pretty valuable; but caveat ebayor: there's nothing to stop anything selling for the starting price.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:45 pm
cheers Maxim. Are only the Samsung titles collectable then? Any titles to look out for? Has there been precedent of these games being available to collectors before that you know of?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:57 pm
A lot of collectors won't touch pirated or unofficial games, but the Samsung ones should satisfy them since they are "official"; other collectors don't really care. Others may have seen more on eBay to know what kind of attention these games get. You might expect the "Korea-only" (KO) games on gemer's list to be more desirable, but who knows? The knock-offs might be of interest to collectors of the original, for example.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:03 pm
Hi!
I´m searching Super Boy and Tetris for Korean SMS.
If you would getting one of this games, please email me.
Thank you.
Post Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm
If anyone can provide me of information of where to go I would be happy to pick a few things up BUT i will be buying things for me to and items to sell. Plus I am expecting things to be cheap so if more than few US dollars per cart then forget it. Any information would be gratefully received.
I'm Korean, but...
Post Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:05 pm
ken dood wrote
If anyone can provide me of information of where to go I would be happy to pick a few things up BUT i will be buying things for me to and items to sell. Plus I am expecting things to be cheap so if more than few US dollars per cart then forget it. Any information would be gratefully received.

I'm sorry that I can't provide the exact information, or guide you to the market. because I'm now studying abroad in Japan...

If I was stayed in Korea, I would help you to seek.

In Korea, Yongsan electronic market in city of Seoul is the biggest one, but I think you can't find SMS games easily. Yongsan is a very wide market so you have to going deep inside to find some old ones... If you have a Korean friend who knows well about Yongsan, it will help. But remember, most of sellers in Yongsan will try to cheat on you(price and more) because you're a foreigner and don't know well about Yongsan.

In my hometown Suwon(about an hour from Seoul by bus), I know a toy shop which have some old SMS, Mega Drive, Neo-Geo games and etc... But the direction is VERY hard to explain(it's inside of the complexed marketplace), and the owner can't speak English at all.

And please check my Korean/Translated SMS games' information.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7892
Many Thanks
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:35 am
Thanks for taking the time out to reply Leadkun and yes, it is a shame you are not in Korea to show me the various shops etc. I've checked out Yongsan in the guide book (line 1!) but it seems a vast and it is daunting knowing where to go.

You say the sellers will attempt to overcharge but how many Won would you expect to pay as a Korean and how much would you expect a foreigner to pay?

I'm going to do my research over here and take pictures of the carts with me. It will be easier to show the shop owners.

Thanks for your link to the pictures of the various gold carts. Are these the standard Samsung 'official' carts to look out for? Have you any experience of the 25 in 1 carts?

I was also thinking that it might be nice to compile a short report and some pictures of what SMS things I can find in Korea? Maxim, Bock, anyone interested?

Thanks again Leadkun.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:26 pm
When I was last in China, foreigner prices were anywhere from 2 to 10 times higher than the real prices, and those are before haggling. Hopefully Korea isn't quite so blatant about it.

If you do find interesting SMS stuff, there's always a place for it here.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!