Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Strange question........

Reply to topic
Author Message
  • Joined: 12 Jul 1999
  • Posts: 871
Reply with quote
Strange question........
Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 4:45 am
Is it possible to remove the Alex Kidd ROM from my SMS and swap it for another one?
What I mean is, can I put the Alex Kidd ROM in a cartridge?
If so, then what would be the best game to swap it for? Each cartridge has different capacitors in different places on the PCB.
Also, which ROM is the Alex Kidd one?

The reason I want to know this is because I really want to play Alex Kidd on my Gamegear, for when I can't get to my SMS :)

Thanks heaps,

~unfnknblvbl
  View user's profile Send private message
Limbs a Flyin'
  • Guest
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 10:23 am

Quote
> If so, then what would be the best game to swap it for? Each cartridge has different capacitors in different places on the PCB.

try listing those values and see if they are related to the game size. i dont know if you will find a relationship tho, but it will keep you busy for a while ;)

Quote
> Also, which ROM is the Alex Kidd one?

hmm.. if you assume it uses the same paging scheme as most of the carts, then perhaps look for the chip that looks like one in a cart? but again it might not come to a usefull conclusion

Quote
> The reason I want to know this is because I really want to play Alex Kidd on my Gamegear, for when I can't get to my SMS :)

thats an idea. also it means you can play the hamburger version on a sms that doesnt have ak built in. also it makes it dumpable via a 'regular' cart dumper

Quote
> Thanks heaps,

> ~unfnknblvbl
 
  • Joined: 12 Jul 1999
  • Posts: 871
Reply with quote
In other words.......
Post Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2000 11:56 pm
You don't really know? :P
I will try all this when I can get my hands on a spare SMS and a soldering iron :)

Quote
>
> > If so, then what would be the best game to swap it for? Each cartridge has different capacitors in different places on the PCB.

> try listing those values and see if they are related to the game size. i dont know if you will find a relationship tho, but it will keep you busy for a while ;)

> > Also, which ROM is the Alex Kidd one?

> hmm.. if you assume it uses the same paging scheme as most of the carts, then perhaps look for the chip that looks like one in a cart? but again it might not come to a usefull conclusion

> > The reason I want to know this is because I really want to play Alex Kidd on my Gamegear, for when I can't get to my SMS :)

> thats an idea. also it means you can play the hamburger version on a sms that doesnt have ak built in. also it makes it dumpable via a 'regular' cart dumper

> > Thanks heaps,

> > ~unfnknblvbl
  View user's profile Send private message
  • Joined: 28 Sep 1999
  • Posts: 1156
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2000 7:29 pm

Quote
> Is it possible to remove the Alex Kidd ROM from my SMS and swap it for another one?
> What I mean is, can I put the Alex Kidd ROM in a cartridge?
> If so, then what would be the best game to swap it for? Each cartridge has different capacitors in different places on the PCB.
> Also, which ROM is the Alex Kidd one?

I'm presuming you're talking about the SMS 2 :)

To the right of the Z80, which is the largest IC on the board in
the upper left corner, there are two smaller chips of equal size.
The middle one marked 'SEGA MPRxxx' is the Alex Kidd ROM, and to the
right of it is the 8K RAM chip that says 'NEC' on it.

What you'd probably want to do is desolder the ROM, and maybe
put a socket in it's place to make it easier to reattach the ROM,
or to try other ROM's, later.

Theoretically, you can put the Alex Kidd ROM into any cartridge that
also uses one ROM chip and is of the same size (256k). I don't think you
have to worry about the capacitor type, it looks like the same kind is in all carts.

What I would do is look through a list of ROMs and find the ones that
are 256k, and are ones I also have real carts of, then open them up and
find one that would ideally suit Alex Kidd. If you've never looked
at the inside of an SMS cart before, you'll see that they are all
pretty much identical.

I noticed that the Alex Kidd ROM looks physically smaller than
most other ROMs. Same pin count, but they are closer together.
This could be a problem when trying to mount it in a normal cart...

Good luck! :)
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  • Joined: 12 Jul 1999
  • Posts: 871
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2000 7:06 am
Quote
>
> > Is it possible to remove the Alex Kidd ROM from my SMS and swap it for another one?
> > What I mean is, can I put the Alex Kidd ROM in a cartridge?
> > If so, then what would be the best game to swap it for? Each cartridge has different capacitors in different places on the PCB.
> > Also, which ROM is the Alex Kidd one?

> I'm presuming you're talking about the SMS 2 :)

> To the right of the Z80, which is the largest IC on the board in
> the upper left corner, there are two smaller chips of equal size.
> The middle one marked 'SEGA MPRxxx' is the Alex Kidd ROM, and to the
> right of it is the 8K RAM chip that says 'NEC' on it.

> What you'd probably want to do is desolder the ROM, and maybe
> put a socket in it's place to make it easier to reattach the ROM,
> or to try other ROM's, later.

> Theoretically, you can put the Alex Kidd ROM into any cartridge that
> also uses one ROM chip and is of the same size (256k). I don't think you
> have to worry about the capacitor type, it looks like the same kind is in all carts.

> What I would do is look through a list of ROMs and find the ones that
> are 256k, and are ones I also have real carts of, then open them up and
> find one that would ideally suit Alex Kidd. If you've never looked
> at the inside of an SMS cart before, you'll see that they are all
> pretty much identical.

> I noticed that the Alex Kidd ROM looks physically smaller than
> most other ROMs. Same pin count, but they are closer together.
> This could be a problem when trying to mount it in a normal cart...

> Good luck! :)

Thanks for that information, it shall be a great help to me, when I can get around to it :)

~unfnknblvbl
  View user's profile Send private message
  • Joined: 24 Jun 1999
  • Posts: 1732
  • Location: Paris, France
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2000 11:01 am
Please tell me if you can find any cartridges board meeting the requirements.
That would be an easy way for me to dump the hamburger version of Alex Kidd.
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
  • Joined: 12 Jul 1999
  • Posts: 871
Reply with quote
WTF *does* he eat in the ROM version? *nt*
Post Posted: Sun Jan 16, 2000 1:16 pm
Quote
> Please tell me if you can find any cartridges board meeting the requirements.
> That would be an easy way for me to dump the hamburger version of Alex Kidd.
  View user's profile Send private message
Limbs a Flyin'
  • Guest
Reply with quote
Re: WTF *does* he eat in the ROM version?
Post Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2000 6:54 am
sushi or rice (or both?) in seaweed perhaps? i saw the same thing being eaten in a pokemon episode ;) (same shape etc). but they decided to translate them to 'donuts' (of course they dont look like donuts..)
 
  • Site Admin
  • Joined: 25 Oct 1999
  • Posts: 2029
  • Location: Monterey, California
Reply with quote
Re: WTF *does* he eat in the ROM version? - (i -think- I know)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 18, 2000 9:43 pm
I think it's supposed to be one of those confections made of red bean paste wrapped in some confection made with rice flour(?). I don't remember where I heard this, but it's always seemed right to me since.

Most oriental markets sell those. I hear they're better eaten warm. I hope so. They're horrible* at room temperature.

I don't remember what they're called.


*horrible, but in the way that one might get to like it after eating about 500 or so of them
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic



Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!