Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Asian Sega Master System II !

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
Asian Sega Master System II !
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 6:47 pm
Won that recently...

SMS II, same box as US version, except for some Chinese printing.
What's interesting is that the console and Alex Kidd in Miracle World manuals are in four languages: English, Chinese traditionnal, Chinese simplified and Japanese.

So we have an Alex Kidd manual in European format, with Japanese instructions:

Notice the serial number, B00003830:

Suggesting that few were produced.

All pictures:
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/

All items - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-01.jpg
Manuals - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-02.jpg
Close-up - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-03.jpg
Serial Number - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-04.jpg
System manual in Japanese - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-05.jpg
System manual in Japanese - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-06.jpg
System manual in Chinese - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-07.jpg
Alex Kidd manual in Japanese - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-08.jpg
Alex Kidd manual in Japanese - http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms2_asian/sms2_asian-09.jpg
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:56 pm
Why does it say PAL-B on the box yet PAL-D on the console?
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:43 pm
Nice! Does it have an FM chip?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 10:47 pm
B wrote
Nice! Does it have an FM chip?

No. The hardware is a standard SMS II.
Post Posted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:44 pm
benryves wrote

According to this site, PAL-B is the standard used in many European, Middle Eastern, African, and Southeast Asian countries, while PAL-D is only used in Romania and China. Make of that what you will.
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 12:48 am
CRV wrote
benryves wrote

According to this site, PAL-B is the standard used in many European, Middle Eastern, African, and Southeast Asian countries, while PAL-D is only used in Romania and China. Make of that what you will.
There doesn't seem to be much difference (my GG TV tuner has PAL I on the box yet will work with the PAL B up to PAL L settings offered by my video card when used as a second monitor), I was just curious as to why it'd have a different type on the console to the box.
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 2:05 am
And next to SEGA on the box is.... tada! 世嘉

It is read as "SEKA" or "SEGA", meaning "World Luck" or "World Auspicious" (or so my dictionary tells me.)
Post Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:17 am
benryves wrote
CRV wrote
benryves wrote

There doesn't seem to be much difference (my GG TV tuner has PAL I on the box yet will work with the PAL B up to PAL L settings offered by my video card when used as a second monitor), I was just curious as to why it'd have a different type on the console to the box.

Does your video card output RF, or have you connected it by composite? Apart from the Brazilian PAL variant, broadcast frequencies are the only differences between PAL versions, and unless you use RF, there is no broadcast involved.
Ian Covelli
Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:57 pm
in the back of the picture there appears to be a blue light gun, is that uncommon, or do i just not know what im talking about once again

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:41 am
Ian Covelli wrote
in the back of the picture there appears to be a blue light gun, is that uncommon, or do i just not know what im talking about once again

It's a version TecToy (Brasil) released at some point. I heard there was some kind of law preventing gun toy from being "too realistic black" so they may have changed it for this reason. Or maybe this was in USA, where they added a blue tip on late produced guns. I'm confused.
It's an uncommon species anyway.Most guns in Brasil are regular black/gray Sega Light Phaser.
Ian Covelli
Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:04 am
thats really interesting, ive never heard any of that before, i also wasnt around long in the eighties, since i was born in 1989, so i didnt learn much about games until the past few years when i got interested in them again, which is mostly why i joined this group, to learn more about the system i loved as a child, and still love today

Post Posted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:51 pm
Bock wrote

It's a version TecToy (Brasil) released at some point. I heard there was some kind of law preventing gun toy from being "too realistic black" so they may have changed it for this reason. Or maybe this was in USA, where they added a blue tip on late produced guns. I'm confused.
It's an uncommon species anyway.Most guns in Brasil are regular black/gray Sega Light Phaser.

Some pics:

I think I can make a shameless plug here :-)
I'm trying to create a catalog of all TecToy box/console variations, you can check it here:
http://www.sega-brasil.com.br/especiais/catalogos/

Some magazine ADs:
http://www.sega-brasil.com.br/especiais/anuncios/anuncios.html
Post Posted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:42 pm
ccovell wrote
And next to SEGA on the box is.... tada! 世嘉

It is read as "SEKA" or "SEGA", meaning "World Luck" or "World Auspicious" (or so my dictionary tells me.)

That's not correct, it's actually just a sound version using Chinese of Sega to approximate it. It's pronounced Shi4 Jia1.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:20 am
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
You shouldn't go performing thread necromancy and also be wrong...

世嘉 is indeed a pseudo-phonetic transliteration of "SEGA", much as Coca-Cola becomes 可口可樂. And similarly, they had a vast range of characters that they could pick from that gave an acceptable sound, so they were very careful to choose ones with good meanings.

Almost no Chinese characters are used alone as words, instead you generally have two characters together to form a specific word. However, characters all have specific meanings, so you can munge characters together to form new words (or names) that convey some of the meaning of the other words those characters are found in.

In Mandarin Chinese, generally means "world, generation, era"; it is used in the word "世界" to mean "the world", for example. The pinyin "shí" "shì" is pronounced somewhat like "shrrrr" with a rising falling tone.

generally means "excellent, joyful, auspicious"; it is used in the word "嘉賓" to mean "honoured guest". The pinyin "jiā" is pronounced somewhat like "jeeya" with a high tone.

Together they do not make any existing word; they're not supposed to, they are making a new, unique name which, due to the underlying meanings of the characters, implies a sense of joy and auspiciousness to the whole world or "this generation". Pretty good overtones if you ask me,; it's be a bit like having an English name like "WorldJoy", only it sounds a lot more lame in English.

Incidentally, the name seems to have been re-used by a car maker in China selling Citroëns.
sega-citroen.jpg (64.8 KB)
Sega Citroën car
sega-citroen.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm
Ummm, okay, so you just said what I said but wrote more about it. Thanks. All I was saying was that his pronunciation was incorrect. If you knew it as well as you say you do, you would know, first off, that I provided the pinyin tone numbers, which is exactly the pronunciation you explain through 'shrrr' etc. Shi by itself is not pinyin, there are no tones indicated there, unless you mean fifth tone, which you don't in this case. I'm not sure where you got your explanation of the characters, either. It's just to approximate the sounds. It has nothing to do with their implicit meaning, at least as far as my Chinese friends and teachers have told me when we talked about it. Unless you have something from Hong Kong or what not showing that 'this is what Sega means in Chinese', all you're doing is literally translating the characters. There may be a little thought in character selection, in fact there are several combinations of these same sounds they could have picked that would have had more meaning, but that's not what's important in this case, it's just a cognate.

By that rationale, what would you say 'Coca Cola' means? Would it be 'Worthy Mouth Worthy Happy'. Yeah, I'm sure that's what they think about when they say that word. It's just a sound approximation. Just like pizza in Chinese. I'd like to hear your logic for the meaning behind that one. Or how about hamburger? 'Han Fortress Bag'. Ha, yeah, good one, that really makes a bit of sense. Just sound approximation, like how they approximate many city names like Pittsburgh, or states like Virginia. If you actually went by the meaning of the characters, you'd be wondering what in the world they were talking about. And almost no characters used alone as words? Umm, how about: 我, 它, 台, 甜, 扫, 累, 汤, 米, and about a quadrillion other words? What did you take, one week of Chinese? All I was saying was the pronunciation was incorrect, and, like usual, you have to go spouting off a ton of other stuff that I pretty much said in a sentence.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm
Chris was providing Japanese readings as Kanji, I think. The characters are correct, the "translation" is correct, and I'm pretty sure he got the Japanese pronunciation right, given that he speaks the language pretty well. So which part was "not correct"?

What you said wrong was that it's "just a sound version using Chinese". Companies do make a lot of effort on character choice when transliterating their names, even to the point of having a worse phonetic match to get better characters. Other words, like pizza, are borrowed in spoken language first and often don't have the greatest characters. Sega's name is definitely in the first category.

Notice I typed in characters with tone lines instead of digits, and I recognised that Pinyin is basically impossible to pronounce until you learn it so I provided approximations for people who don't know it, so they can judge the phonetic closeness for themselves.

My point was that most complex concepts - what usually translates in English to a non-Anglo-Saxon word - are multiple-character words, whereas day-to-day words are more likely to be single characters, for practical reasons. Thus, "世" and "嘉" are not words that mean anything in isolation, but they are commonly used in multi-character words that have meanings based on the meanings of the characters. The zhongwen.com links I provided demonstrate that pretty well.

Try showing those characters to a native speaker and ask them "is this a dump transliteration or did they choose these characters carefully".

</flame>
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:43 pm
<ultraflameage>

Yeah, I figured you've been using some site for your 'data'. I would have guessed xuezhongwen.net since it's probably the best one out there, but oh well. If they were making an effort to pick good characters, there are two characters with those same exact tones that would have made a lot more sense and are pretty well known in the language. What was wrong was that the pronunciation he gave was not Chinese.

And the characters that are used for 'Sega' in Mandarin DO have meaning by themselves. Shi4, in fact, has about six meanings, and jia1 has one major one, and a few minor ones. Ha, and good one you sneak, what I notice is that you CHANGED what you wrote and added tone lines once you realized what I said. That's not how they were written before. You give the wrong tone for shi, by the way. I'm on to you...

And, if you read what I said, you would see that I did in fact talk to native speakers. I spoke with my friend from Hong Kong, some other students I know around here, and my teachers as well. Why? Well, it's a way to practice my Chinese, and they asked what my Sega jacket was too, so it just went from there. All of them said the same thing, it's just a cognate. So now it's 'most' complex concepts, huh? Perhaps I should post more examples for you, but there really isn't a point now, I said what I had to. I notice you didn't argue the point that you studied Chinese for a week, so I guess that answers that.

</ultraflameage>
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:06 pm
Stan wrote
I notice you didn't argue the point that you studied Chinese for a week, so I guess that answers that.

No, actually what he did in one week was coding a top-notch entry competition, which was 2nd by a couple of votes. You should try that one if you hadn't already.

Ah, and also writing worthy tutorials which several members of this community used for their first, SOLID steps in SMS programming.

Even if you have the strongest argument regarding the debated topic, show some manners.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:12 pm
I didn't go back and edit the tones in, but thanks for pointing out my mistake (I have a bad habit to get my 2nd and 4th tones mixed up). As you can see, the forum shows when I edit. Anyway, I grow tired of the flames, so I'll moderate any more of this nonsense, including from myself.
Post Posted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:40 pm
rrgh!!! Rn!!! Th Chns nrds r cmng t f th wdwrk...

lthgh Stn ws rght tht gt th prnnctn wrng, bcs knw Jpns, nd nt lck f Chns, n nphyt f ny lngg s gng t b bl t rd th strm f chrctrs nd nmbrs tht h typd. Mxm's s f lns thrgh/bv th wrds t lst cn b fgrd t by th vrg prsn.

nd lt's vd gttng prsnl, tht's ll 'm gnn sy.

[Admin: disemvowelled; rules is rules.]
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:24 am
Niloct wrote

No, actually what he did in one week was coding a top-notch entry competition, which was 2nd by a couple of votes. You should try that one if you hadn't already.

Ah, and also writing worthy tutorials which several members of this community used for their first, SOLID steps in SMS programming.

Even if you have the strongest argument regarding the debated topic, show some manners.

h hh hh! SLD MN. Bd stn mn, g try wrt tht y bd mn. My ssmbly sctn wll dmnt! nly tw mr pgs t wrt! Hy, cvl, qstn, s tht hw ths chrctrs r thn prnncd n Jpns s y wrt? f s, ntrstng. Ds nyn knw f ths wld b th ctl chrctrs sd n Jpns fr Sg?

[Admin: disemvowelled]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:10 am
Ds nyn knw f ths wld b th ctl chrctrs sd n Jpns fr Sg?

They went with セガ, Katakana instead of Kanji, in Japan. The pronunciation is "Se Ga". As a foreign company (originally), especially one with a name based on English, Katakana would be expected.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:26 pm
Hahha, you disemboweled my message! Okay, thanks, was curious about that. I assumed not, but since there is a good bit of character borrowing it would have been an interesting coincidence.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:17 pm
Pictures from a new auction (in bad condition)
http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h247776537

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:31 am
Good excuse to bug Bock for part numbers, Does any of the box, manuals, paperwork have 671-xxxx numbers?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:38 am
Sorry the console has been in storage, and stupidly I didn't take pictures of the back of the box (just checked the original photos now). The only notes I took are:
- Power Base PAL-D
- Model 3006-15, Serial B00003830
Which is exactly what's shown in the picture above.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!