Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Space Harrier

Reply to topic
Author Message
Toog
  • Guest
Reply with quote
[VGM Pack] Space Harrier
Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 7:27 pm
VGM pack: http://www.smspower.org/Music/SpaceHarrier-SMS
-------------------------

Hi, I've started making a Space Harrier package. All is going fine, except for the Wiwi Jumbo boss music. It never seems to repeat completely. After examining it for awhile, I noticed that the 4 channels appear to each have different lengths.
Tone 1 repeats about every 27.7 sec
Tone 2 repeats about every 43.9 sec
Tone 3 repeats about every 8.5 sec
Noise repeats about every 89.2 sec
From what I can tell, this song won't repeat itself for a VERY long time. What should I do about this? I figure I will just try to loop it in a place that seems reasonable. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
 
  • Site Admin
  • Joined: 08 Jul 2001
  • Posts: 8184
  • Location: Paris, France
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 9:44 pm
Ahah, interesting case.

Quote
> What should I do about this?
> I figure I will just try to loop it in a place that seems reasonable.
> Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't remember the exact song, but I would suggest looping whenever the main channel (leading the music) loops, if possible. Is there one ?
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toog
  • Guest
Reply with quote
Post Posted: Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:23 am
Quote
> I don't remember the exact song, but I would suggest looping whenever the main channel (leading the music) loops, if possible. Is there one ?

Yeah, the 1st channel is the main one. The others are used to make various crashing and whining sounds, apparently to give it a chaotic feel.
The tricky part is looping it without cutting off one of the other channels in the middle of a sound, but I think I've just about got it.
 
Toog
  • Guest
Reply with quote
One more question. Voices?
Post Posted: Thu Mar 07, 2002 11:38 pm
I've finished ripping and trimming all of the tracks. Then I decided I would add the voices from the game as a bonus. However, when I played them back they didn't sound right. I recorded them with sample accuracy with both Meka and Dega. I also tried recording them in both 50Hz and 60Hz mode, but still no luck. Just for the heck of it I even tried recording the voices from the game gear version of Space Harrier (Which are very similar if not identicle to the SMS voices), but got the same result. To make sure it wasn't just a problem with recording voices in general, I tried recording voices from several other games, and they worked fine.
I figure the Space Harrier voices are either not being recorded correctly for some reason, or the winamp plugin is just not playing them correctly. Should I just assume they are being recorded correcly and include them in hopes that a future version of the plugin will be able to play them, or should I leave them out? Any other ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanx. :)
 
  • Site Admin
  • Joined: 25 Oct 1999
  • Posts: 2029
  • Location: Monterey, California
Reply with quote
Re: One more question. Voices?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 4:19 am
What other games did you try recording voices in, and how would you say they were incorrect? Do they break up, or are the pitches incorrect?
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toog
  • Guest
Reply with quote
Re: One more question. Voices?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 12:24 pm
Quote
> What other games did you try recording voices in, and how would you say they were incorrect? Do they break up, or are the pitches incorrect?

I tried recording voices in both Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars and After Burner. Both of those worked fine.
The voices in Space Harrier basically come out as a static hiss. You can tell that there are three syllables to the 'Get Ready' voice, but that's about it.
Also, I have tried recording at both 44100Hz and 12000Hz quality, just to see if it would make a difference for some strange reason (It did not).
 
  • Site Admin
  • Joined: 19 Oct 1999
  • Posts: 13154
  • Location: London
Reply with quote
I tried it and...
Post Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2002 3:10 pm
Quote
> I tried recording voices in both Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars and After Burner. Both of those worked fine.
> The voices in Space Harrier basically come out as a static hiss. You can tell that there are three syllables to the 'Get Ready' voice, but that's about it.
> Also, I have tried recording at both 44100Hz and 12000Hz quality, just to see if it would make a difference for some strange reason (It did not).

Dega's 12000Hz thing won't have any effect - VGMs are all 44100Hz (the same as Meka makes 44100Hz VGMs while outputting to my soundcard at 21739Hz).

Anyway... I recorded the two easiest-to-get voices from Space Harrier to VGM, then recorded them from the real game. Here's what I got:

Aargh!: VGM, WAV
Get Ready! VGM, WAV

Now, there's going to be a difference because of the not-very-famous PSG voltage decay effect, but apart from that, they sound very similar to me. Also, thanks go to Sega for making them have the same pitch and speed when played on an emulated NTSC system and a real PAL system.

It did show a problem with the plugin, though... it doesn't like very short VGMs, I had to manually add a bit of silence to the end of the Get Ready! VGM to make it play. I'll see about fixing that...

Maxim
  View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toog
  • Guest
Reply with quote
Space Harrier package
Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 2:30 am
Well, for anyone that may be wondering, I finished the Space Harrier package and it sounds pretty good. I submitted it quite awhile ago, but it hasn't been posted yet. Well, I'm posting a link to it so that all you hard core Space Harrier fans don't have to keep waiting. ;-)

I hope the link works. If not I'll just try again. :-)


 
Reply to topic



Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!