Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear|
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew
24th anniversary: 5 prototypes & competition entries!Posted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:39 pm
Today is SMS Power! 24th Anniversary!
(Unfamiliar with this site? Check our previous releases in the News Forums and of course the many sections linked above. Last year for our 23rd anniversary we released Not-for-sale "Game de Check! Koutsuu Anzen" from 1987 complete with a full English translation.)
Today we have 5 prototypes to share!
Today is also the day all entries for the Coding, Hacks and Music competitions are made available in the Competitions Forums (read below)
Release wise, we first have a Zillion II: Tri Formation prototype for the Master System!
The sequel to Zillion (赤い光弾 ジリオン) may have left players surprised, perhaps underwhelmed at first, as Zillion was a long and labyrinthic adventure, while Zillion II turned to be more classic action game combining fast-scrolling shooting/racing and platforming sequences. If we forgive the comparison to its predecessor, Zillion II is actually quite a fine game which lends itself to quick replays. The fast-paced shooting sequences sometimes may almost feel like a rhythm game, and the on-foot sequence have their share of exploration.
The most visible difference in this version is the earlier title screen:
(Left: prototype, Right: retail version)
Actual game appears to be mostly the same, can you find any difference?
Our second release is A prototype of Basketball Nightmare for the Master System. This basketball game developed by Aicom is best known for its highly detailed shots of performing a dunk:
This prototype version appears nearly complete. Among other things, we noticed that the Credits Sequences bears a different title for the programming role:
(Left: prototype, Right: retail)
Our third release is A prototype of Rastan for the Master System.
This appears to be a much earlier build than we typically find prototypes of. Among other things, this build of Rastan
- is missing title screens
- has different enemies and palette (e.g medusa on stage 1)
- trap sprites are visible above the wall (incorrect sprite vs bg priority)
- water is black white and its palette not animated
- lava are not animated
- life automatically refill, and there's no game over screen
- bosses are differently
- level 2 has no enemies
- level 4 missing sky color
- there's no pause/inventory screen
See more screenshots for Rastan.
Our fourth release is A prototype of Taito Chase H.Q. for the Master System.
Some of the differences spotted (courtesy of Maxim):
- High score is 2972900 at startup - much higher than 50000 in final version
- Different pitch music on title screen
- Steering "quick" option, no BGM option
- Options screen select with 2, start with 1 reversed in final version
- Radio screen shows "TAITO MONITALING SYSTEM SP-OIA" - Engrish mistake
- Road seems to glitch out a lot
In the code:
- Proto hard-codes the port $3E controls to the cartridge slot, retail version correctly reads from $c000
- Retail version adds a delay in the VBlank, for an unknown reason (immediately before reading player controls)
- Prototype has some code removed (replaced with return) relating to clearing state when you reset
Our fifth and final release for today is A prototype of Tengen World Cup Soccer for the Game Gear.
Entries are being posted in the Competitions Forum, with a few more expected later today. We will start voting on entries from tomorrow.
A peak at some of the entries... Check the forums for more!
Some photos of the sample/prototypes cartridges:
AttachmentsPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:38 am
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
||Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:27 am|
What a Birthday... New photos... The community received amazing birthday gifts. :)
I must say: You guys are like the Indiana Jones of the video-games, finding these lost treasures... :D
||Posted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:42 am|
|Happy Birthday SMS Power, thanks for the great time we have for so long!|
||Posted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:22 pm|
|Just: thank you so much !!|
||Posted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:20 am|
|Great new proto releases. Thanks for sharing. Happy birthday to the site as well.|
||Posted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am|
Great stuff! I love when prototypes get discovered. Rastan is one of my favorites on the system, so I'm looking forward to checking this out.
Here's hoping Shinobi Kid turns up one day.