Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear|
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew
Competitions 2021 - deadline is March 27Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:43 pm
We will celebrate SMS Power 24th Anniversary on March 2021 and run the usual competition!
People have been particularly prolific in the homebrew space this year, and we hope that some of you will want to engage in working on entries for the competition.
The same as every year :)
Please read below for details.
Slightly longer rules:
Deadline is 27th March 2021. You may choose to interpret that in any reasonable way. We expect people to submit patches/fixes in the following days, but try to get your entry submitted by March 27.
There are three main competitions: coding, hacks and music.
Write something that runs on a Sega 8-bit home system which isn't a hack. A game, a demo, a tool!
(See our Homebrew section for an idea of past work done by the community.)
Make a hack of a game for a Sega 8-bit home system.
(See our Hacks section for an idea of past work done by the community.).
System conversion hacks (such as GG2SMS, MSX2SG hacks are not valid for the competition). Please post them through regular non-competition means.
Make some music that either uses the sound chip(s) from an Sega 8-bit home system, or is an arrangement of music from commercial software for that system.
(See our Music section for an idea of past work done by the community.)
Rules / The small print
* Entries should be either made for this competition, or substantially different to any earlier release. This means you can’t take something you released before and enter it with minimal or no changes; it also means you shouldn’t release it yourself elsewhere before the deadline.
* If you have a project that don't clearly fit in the Coding/Hacks/Music criteria and you think would be a good fit in the competition, please message us and we may work something out together (e.g. enter the project in Coding competition if that seems reasonable).
* Super-offensive or overly illegal content will get your entry rejected. Be nice.
* Coding entries must be in a format that works with a wide variety of emulators, i.e. raw ROM image or disk images. Tape images and wacky custom formats are no good unless you are genuinely making something related to those formats.
* Hack entries must be either in a format like for coding entries, or in the form of an IPS or BPS patch. You must give details of the original file(s) your hack is based on.
* Music entries can be in any format you like, provided it's VGM or MP3. You are welcome to also provide the same music in some other format alongside it.
How to enter
E-mail: competition AT smspower.org
PLEASE BE EXTRA CAREFUL TO SUBMIT ALL INFORMATION. Every year it takes us a long time to sort through entries for which we can't associate a real name to a forum people, can't tell the proper entry name, etc.
Coding Competition 2021 Entry: XXXXXXX
Music Competition 2021 Entry: XXXXXXX
Hacks Competition 2021 Entry: XXXXXXX
Form to copy and fill in your e-mail:
* Forum user name:
* Competition type:
* Title of your entry:
* (please provide a clear, official title we are going to use everywhere, not just "here's my rom.sms")
* (we will copy whatever in your e-mail looks like a description to the corresponding pages)
* (list of files links, or filenames attached to the e-mail. Please ZIP everything so we can preserve your build timesamp)
Please do make sure to:
* Attach the file(s) preferably, however our gmail account will filter .ZIP files (even renamed) if they contains executables or batch files. If you have them, upload your file to Google Drive / Drop Box / etc. and send us a link.
* Mention the word "competition" in your subject line
* If it's a hack, specify in the description which game/version/CRC.
* If it's a music, specify in the description if it's an original track or a cover (specify which game, which track).
* Including screenshots will be helpful. Please make lossless screenshot (e.g. 256x192 resolution, no filter, PNG format).
* Including cover art makes you 20% more awesome :)
* Including sources (for both music and code) makes you 256% more awesome. :)
* If you have multiple entries, please send multiple e-mails.
You should receive an automatic response when it is received.
After the entries are revealed
* If you want to update your entry, please post your update to the forum thread along with attachments.
* You may also directly edit the Wiki page of your entry and add the new files if you have Wiki writing access (you can request it). Otherwise someone will update the Wiki with your latest attachment.
||Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:03 pm|
We know that GG2SMS hacks are not allow, personally I love this kind of hacks.
Right now there are not new GG2SMS hacks since long time ago and probably if you accept it, some people will work on it, maybe in a different section of the competition.
||Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:38 pm|
|Basic GG2SMS hacks lack creativity, but an extended hack (eg redrawing full screen art, removing scrolling glitches, basically making a perfect SMS game) could be considered.|
||Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:54 pm|
|Okay, I sent my entry.|