Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear|
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew
Phantasy Star French retranslation updatePosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:11 pm
I've been working on making the Phantasy Star retranslation more friendly for re-retranslation to other languages, including support for non-ASCII text. As a test I have ported ichigobankai's French translation (thanks to him providing the source). I am only partially able to understand French, though, so this topic is to ask for help with some of those issues. French speakers, please help!
1. Carbunckle Eye is a gem, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbuncle_(gemstone) . Should the French be "Œil de Carboucle" or "Œil d'escarboucle"?
2. Here is the frequency of non-ASCII characters in the script:
é x 445
à x 121
è x 92
ê x 91
ô x 9
î x 8
ù x 8
â x 7
ç x 7
œ x 5
û x 5
ï x 1
I have added support for the first four. I could add two more fairly easily - what should I prioritise? On the chat I was advised that an un-accented "garcon" is kind of rude, for example. You can view the script here: https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/blob/master/psrp/script.yaml
3. Should item names be Title Case like in English, e.g. "Épée Titane", or "Épée titane", or something else? This text is used both in the inventory and in the dialogue, eg. when using an item.
4. Should I drop any letters from the name entry screen, e.g. W and K? Removing them will free more space for accented characters.
5. I will need some play-testers - builds are at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/maxim-zhao/psrp/build/artifacts . Feel free to comment in here or open issues at https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/issues .
I'm interested to hear of other translations with source. I suspect some languages will be very hard work, though, e.g. if there are gendered verbs...
||Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:33 pm|
Thank you so much for working on a French version!
1. Œil d'escarboucle, because escarboucle is the French translation for carbuncle.
2. I would prioritise " ç " first like it's the only one making the pronunciation of a word change. "œ" is difficult to place you said. Then " ù " 'cause " ` "are more important than " ^ ".
3; That I don't mind.
||Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:36 pm|
|I should say, thanks to ichigobankai for writing the translation in the first place. It has some nice effort on localisation and customisation from Frank Cifaldi’s 1.0 English localisation.|
||Posted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:40 pm|
|6. I’m told capital letters don’t need accents in French, but the spell checker told me that’s wrong. They certainly look bad in 8x8 fonts. Do I need to care about them?|
||Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:35 am|
Wil76 and Vingazole also worked on the translation.
6. No, accent on caps are not needed.
||Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:51 am|
|I’ll add the missing names to the credits.|
||Posted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 pm|
|Added ç just now. It required making quotes and commas a bit uglier, also ç is a bit ugly as I squashed it to allow two pixels for the cedilla. For ù my plan is to replace : with – in the script.|