Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear|
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew
Sprite Editor: SPReD-SMS (win/linux)Posted: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:12 pm
I want to share with you the sprite editor - SPReD-SMS, I developed for myself. Maybe someone will find it useful.
The tool can be run on Windows and Linux.
- handy drawing mode
- group operations on sprites
- sprites data packing and optimization
- 8x16 mode support
- images import/export
- export to WLA-DX ( 1/2/3/4 bpp modes )
- built-in Python script editor for writing custom data export scripts
- NES <=> SMS data conversion*
* You can load a NES project into SMS editor and vice versa.
Actually the SPReD-SMS is a part of a MAPeD-SPReD toolset ( game maps and sprite editors ) I developed for the NES. It was easy to adapt the NES version to the SMS one. There are some controls that were useless and disabled in the SMS version. You can see some of them at the screenshot below.
Example projects and WLA-DX samples are also available.
As for WLA-DX samples, you can find:
- simple show sprite demo
- two character controller demos (idle, running, ducking, shooting, jumping)
- test program for testing the same image with different exported BPP values
The tool sources you can find here:
Compiled executables & samples:
[The latest development build can be found here]
For now I recommend to use the development build (v0.59), because it has additional data export options which are missing in the latest release.
||Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:19 am|
Just taking a look at the editor and it looks amazing!! although I had a hard time starting using it!
Are you also planing to adapt the mapping tool?
||Posted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:13 am|
Thanks! Try to read Quick Guide (F1). I hope it will help to understand all conceptions.
Yes, I do. But due to lack of free time I don't know how long it will take.