Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Phantasy Star retranslation 2.00 released

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post Posted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:23 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
boff wrote
Post a picture, man.

There are red block artifacts in battle mode or if you press pause. Just fight a monster fly or scorpion right outside the residential wall.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:17 pm
I think this problem may be unique to you...
Post Posted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:43 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maxim wrote
I think this problem may be unique to you...

I'm using real hardware, Master System RGB bypass fm with everdrive (old ver) not x7.
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:05 am
playing at 50 or 60 Hz?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:10 pm
Last edited by nategamrdude on Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
sverx wrote
playing at 50 or 60 Hz?

I have 60hrz NTSC. I've tried 2 different consoles, the other is totally stock never modded and one is modded with rgb bypass and fm.

Same result with both Master Systems. Has anyone else got this? Fight a few battles at beginning out in open by residential area with fly or scorpion. You should see a flickering block if you watch the enemy name box at start of battle. May take a couple battles.

Otherwise it could be my Everdrive, I have old version not x7.
Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:16 am
Maxim, the only known bugs so far in version 2.0 are text errors when trying to buy the cake for the governor with little money and wrong attack value for myau at the maximum level?
Have you corrected anything else?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:49 am
You can see the open issues and commits in Github to see what’s pending or done. There were a few minor script errors (eg spelling inconsistencies) and the item renaming mentioned above.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:39 pm
Maxim wrote
You can see the open issues and commits in Github to see what’s pending or done. There were a few minor script errors (eg spelling inconsistencies) and the item renaming mentioned above.

I was wondering, have you tested on real hardware? I have old Everdrive v9 and I'm still getting artifact during battle (it's very fast). I tested using 2 Master Systems one was stock.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:29 pm
Can you make a video or photo?
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:48 am
Maxim wrote

I've been watching this process for months and frankly it's been amazing to see the entire translation rewritten. It's a lot of work to finish up a project like this. In support of nategamrdude's observation, I see the glitch in the upper right corner during battles on a 1 chip Game Gear as well. (2 chip Game Gears seem to have glitches all over the place starting from the intro scene even in the original Phantasy Star without patches.) It has a McWill display installed and has been recapped, but is otherwise stock. I observe the same behavior on a Japanese Game Gear (MK Rayearth edition), also recapped and McWill modded.

As you can (hopefully, codecs allowing) see in the attached video starting at 2 seconds, the glitching doesn't usually last long. It's overwritten not long after it shows up. I'm using an Everdrive GG to play it, but I have the prior translation sitting in my SMS Phantasy Star cart (the original ROM chip's safely tucked away.) I could re-write the EPROM with this new translation to try on my Beeshu SMS to GG adapter to verify that it's not an EverDrive issue, in case you think that both SMS and GG Everdrives might be the cause.
MOV_20201007_0134036~2.mp4 (3.96 MB)
PS Retranslation glitch

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:56 am
That looks like a VDP access speed issue, I’ll look into it, thanks for the video.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:23 pm
nyandeyanen wrote
Maxim wrote

I've been watching this process for months and frankly it's been amazing to see the entire translation rewritten. It's a lot of work to finish up a project like this. In support of nategamrdude's observation, I see the glitch in the upper right corner during battles on a 1 chip Game Gear as well. (2 chip Game Gears seem to have glitches all over the place starting from the intro scene even in the original Phantasy Star without patches.) It has a McWill display installed and has been recapped, but is otherwise stock. I observe the same behavior on a Japanese Game Gear (MK Rayearth edition), also recapped and McWill modded.

As you can (hopefully, codecs allowing) see in the attached video starting at 2 seconds, the glitching doesn't usually last long. It's overwritten not long after it shows up. I'm using an Everdrive GG to play it, but I have the prior translation sitting in my SMS Phantasy Star cart (the original ROM chip's safely tucked away.) I could re-write the EPROM with this new translation to try on my Beeshu SMS to GG adapter to verify that it's not an EverDrive issue, in case you think that both SMS and GG Everdrives might be the cause.

You found it! Awesome lol. Sorry to everyone and Maxim, I've been too busy to make a video. At least you guys got it and people won't think I'm crazy.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:15 am
I think I have (belatedly) fixed this enemy name top border issue. Can you try the latest build at https://ci.appveyor.com/project/maxim-zhao/psrp/builds/36127817/artifacts and confirm it's good now?
Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:53 am
Maxim wrote
I think I have (belatedly) fixed this enemy name top border issue. Can you try the latest build at [link removed by nyandeyanen because I'm recent and spammers force the forum to do this] and confirm it's good now?

It looks good here, I haven't been able to reproduce the bug with this version after several battles.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:53 am
Great :) I have a little more I’d like to do and then I’ll make an official 2.01 release.
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:50 am
Hi, Maxim.

I went to the GitHub you created for PS (https://github.com/maxim-zhao/psrp/issues) and saw that you are going to add a Shop QOL improvement. I thought it was very good.

I have a small suggestion: make PelorieMate recover MP. In addition to making this item useful (an item that recovers MP is what is missing in PS!), It would give a nice change in the gameplay.

What do you think? Consider my proposal with affection!
Big hug.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:36 am
I’m trying not to mess with the gameplay (anti-grinding aside). I guess the designers didn’t want a way to replenish MP.
Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:26 am
I will argue just one more time, Maxim. After all, the project is yours.
Recover MP is also present in the Sega Ages 2500 (PSG1).

What do you think about making this optional, just like you did brown hair for Alis?

Anyway, thanks for listening. : D

And, look at this:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5248/
Really good, right?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:45 am
It would be good to understand the changes in some of the later releases, I’m going off some YouTube video descriptions for some of these. Certainly the anti-grinding measures are nice to have, but only if they remain optional.

I don’t like the sprite changes. I know I did the brown hair thing - which seems like it was one of the most interesting things for the flurry of publicity when we released 2.00 - but overall I don’t want to mess with the artwork. The brown hair hack was just to make the in-game sprite match the cutscene and title artwork.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:50 pm
Maxim wrote
It would be good to understand the changes in some of the later releases, I’m going off some YouTube video descriptions for some of these. Certainly the anti-grinding measures are nice to have, but only if they remain optional.

I don’t like the sprite changes. I know I did the brown hair thing - which seems like it was one of the most interesting things for the flurry of publicity when we released 2.00 - but overall I don’t want to mess with the artwork. The brown hair hack was just to make the in-game sprite match the cutscene and title artwork.

Hey Guys,

Wonderful Job on PS to all of you. I wanted to say one last thing...When healing the text says " STAMINA increased" I just feel like it should be HP, it is hp right? stamina is like endurance.
Post Posted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm
nategamrdude wrote
Maxim wrote

Hey Guys,

Wonderful Job on PS to all of you. I wanted to say one last thing...When healing the text says " STAMINA increased" I just feel like it should be HP, it is hp right? stamina is like endurance.

One more thing, I tested new update noticed pause is broken again. Probably be fixed in official 2.1.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!