Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Taking Pixel Art Commissions! :D

Reply to topic
Taking Pixel Art Commissions! :D
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:39 pm
Hi there! My day job is really taking it's toll on my mental and physical health.

BUT YOU DON'T WANT TO HEAR MY SOB STORY

I'm going to be taking some experimental commissions to see if there is any kind of market for pixel assets. It's my favorite part of the game making process (and the only part I'm good at) and can get them done in a week or so, depending on the amount of tiles.

I really don't know how to price it, but I'm thinking like 50 cents to a dollar per 16x16 tile?? It's negotiable in any case.

I'm most practiced with Sega Master System compatable graphics, but I have played around with Ni****do Gameboy and others. Sprites and animations are a little more complicated, but talk to me and I can probably work something out! I'm attaching an example of a room made from tiles that I have designed for the SMS.

Forgive me if this post is in the wrong board, but thanks for looking!
WSUpgradeRoom.png (23.62 KB)
WSUpgradeRoom.png

Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:15 pm
The example you posted looks really great man, keep up the good work! ;)
Post Posted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:41 pm
Strahssis wrote
The example you posted looks really great man, keep up the good work! ;)

Thanks! I've had this tile set and some like it floating around for an idea that never really got off the ground. I'm going to upload them to itch.io in a moment as a pay what you want kind of thing. It seems a shame to let it go, but I have plenty more ideas and I'm kind of at my wit's end here. I need to something, even if it's small to move foreward.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 am
Phano wrote
Hi there! My day job is really taking it's toll on my mental and physical health.

God how I know what you mean. 16 years next Monday :|
Post Posted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:26 pm
Nice graphics.

Pixeling (and coding) is my therapy to relief from my Job.

Hope it's OK to give some feedback:
- Perhaps by adding shade on the floors next to the walls will give the example more depth.
- As walls are 3 tiles high, the doors could be the same height. Now they are 2 tiles high.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38 pm
I welcome feedback! I've added shadows around walls and corners in other tile sets. I can't remember why I didn't do it here... but I will definitely play around with doors a little more. They seem to be an unrealistic challenge to get looking right. I'll have to play some more games for research!

I'm planning to quit before summer to focus on creative projects. I'll probably need to get another job anyway, but I just need to get out of this environment.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 pm
Whilst this isn't my exact sort of style, your use of the colours available is very good!

I've been having an interesting time with the palette myself. It seems you've got a much firmer grasp on colour management. I'm impressed.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:25 pm
Flygon wrote
Whilst this isn't my exact sort of style, your use of the colours available is very good!

I've been having an interesting time with the palette myself. It seems you've got a much firmer grasp on colour management. I'm impressed.

Thanks! While I could ask for more browns, I really enjoy working with this palette. A sort of freedom through limitation kind of thing?? I also like coming up wirh clever ways of making Gameboy graphics look nice. Although most of the C64's 16 whole colors are kind of wierd, so that is still a challenge.
annabelleC.png (2.37 KB)
annabelleC.png

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:34 am
I've always kind of wanted a general Master System artwork topic to be able to post into on these forums.

Perhaps you could get the ball rolling? :)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:04 am
Flygon wrote
I've always kind of wanted a general Master System artwork topic to be able to post into on these forums.

Perhaps you could get the ball rolling? :)

That's not a bad idea at all!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!