Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Post Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:21 pm
Stokes wrote
Here's one game I manage to get on the SG-1000, no RAM changes.

The Gonnies MSX2SG conversion has flaws like music doesn't sound right and the game restarts after few seconds in Meka (It seems because of the sound) on Emulicious doesn't restart but is in backward compatible mode? Nice try Stokes btw!

Revo wrote
I may start MSX2GG soon as I bought a Chinese everdrive for GG.

Good news Revo!, could you try conversions to Game Gear for Stone of Wisdom and Yokai Yashiki (whatever original or graphics patched), I find these games worth playing and about Stone of Wisdom the backgrounds are too dark to be played as SMS conversion.
Revo
Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:23 am
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
New conversion with Do The Same, new entry of 21' MSXDev.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:21 am
FeRcHuLeS wrote
Stokes wrote
Here's one game I manage to get on the SG-1000, no RAM changes.

The Gonnies MSX2SG conversion has flaws like music doesn't sound right and the game restarts after few seconds in Meka (It seems because of the sound) on Emulicious doesn't restart but is in backward compatible mode? Nice try Stokes btw!

Revo wrote
I may start MSX2GG soon as I bought a Chinese everdrive for GG.

Good news Revo!, could you try conversions to Game Gear for Stone of Wisdom and Yokai Yashiki (whatever original or graphics patched), I find these games worth playing and about Stone of Wisdom the backgrounds are too dark to be played as SMS conversion.

Thanks. I tried my best on this conversion. Also, I might do these GG conversions, tho you asked Revo to do it.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:22 am
Here's Hyper Rally, I recommended running this on the SG-1000 II and the Mark III / SMS.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:56 pm
Here's some new Konami games on the SG-1000 II. They use the Jumbo extension, I also might use the DahJee / Jumbo RAM sometime soon.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:48 pm
Glad you made Hyper Rally @Stokes, now the sound issue (thunder sound) on your conversion to GG is fixed for this MSX2SG conversion now. I suggest you to create a thread for these conversions though, in order not to mix conversions up.

I'm surprised how Hyper Rally simulates an analog controller for driving, it feels like playing Outrun with an analog controller.
Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:29 pm
FeRcHuLeS wrote
Glad you made Hyper Rally @Stokes, now the sound issue (thunder sound) on your conversion to GG is fixed for this MSX2SG conversion now. I suggest you to create a thread for these conversions though, in order not to mix conversions up.

I'm surprised how Hyper Rally simulates an analog controller for driving, it feels like playing Outrun with an analog controller.

I might start a MSX2SG thread, also thanks.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:00 pm
Last edited by Revo on Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Making a MSX2SG thread and a MSX2GG thread is probably a good idea.

Followed 2 new games for the MSX Dev', Fly Guy (no sound but probably easy to hack) and SD Sniper.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:12 pm
https://www.smspower.org/forums/18634-MSXToSG1000Conversions#117484
Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:18 pm
I also updated C-BIOS for the SMS.
Godzilla Kun.zip (24.8 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 3:30 pm
https://www.smspower.org/forums/18635-MSXToGameGearConversions#117487
Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:00 am
A new MSX2SG conversion just came in.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:56 am
New game from the MSX Dev' with Pippo Lascopa Ficcanaso.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:06 am

Followed update of Fly Guy, sound is now working.

Revo
Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am
New games from the MSX Dev' with Arya and Heart Stealer 2 (need controls hack).

Post Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:08 pm
Decided to play the Pitfall II port a bit, and it looks like the balloon segment doesn't work, the balloon always pops too early. Anyone else can reproduce this?
Revo
Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:26 am
Balloon? Please try with this version attached ;)

Revo
Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:31 am
I'm please to announce my MSX2SMS Megapack, more info in the facebook group "Passion Cartmod/Homebrew Sega MS/GG Master System-GG".
MSX2SMS Megapack.JPG (667.48 KB)
MSX2SMS Megapack.JPG

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:43 am
Revo wrote
I'm please to announce my MSX2SMS Megapack, more info in the facebook group "Passion Cartmod/Homebrew Sega MS/GG Master System-GG".

pog[/img]
Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:55 pm
Revo wrote
Balloon? Please try with this version attached ;)

Nope, the balloon still goes up about one screen and then pops :(

The balloon segment isn't until a ways through the lost caverns, unfortunately. You have to make it down the first shaft (the one furthest to the right) and then across, and then when on the ledge overhanging the water wait for the first bat to leave the screen. (The SG-1000 version is at least kind enough to not make you wait... but it's basically a completely different game)
Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:31 pm
IDK if anyone did this, but...................................
Slenderman.........................................

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:43 am
This is supposing to work?

Revo
Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:47 am

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:31 am
Revo wrote
This is supposing to work?

Yes, IDK why the developer didn't add controller support.
Revo
Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:10 pm
I deleted all rom that I posted in this thread, 99% of them were out of date. Almost all of them are present in my rom fullset v1.2 (3 rom are not present 'cause not working on real hardware: Peek-A-Boo, Shougi, Shougi Sinan 1).

Strangely this thread become a nightmare to read starting page 3.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:27 pm
For those who wanted to create programs on their SMS, now is the time to do it with Garry Kitchen's The Designer's Pencil. Also, this will be ported to the SG-1000 and Game Gear soon.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:42 pm
Does anyone, and I mean anyone want this Pac-Man type game to be converted to the SMS?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:06 pm
Revo wrote

Hi Revo

I wish you had asked me before doing the conversion because I'm working on the SMS version (great exercice)

Ricco59 (creator of Where Is it ? and DoTheSame both for the Msxdev'21)
Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:12 pm
Ricco59 wrote
Revo wrote

Hi Revo

I wish you had asked me before doing the conversion because I'm working on the SMS version (great exercice)

Ricco59 (creator of Where Is it ? and DoTheSame both for the Msxdev'21)

Hi Ricco, nice to see you and your successful games. Though I'm not Revo, but sorry for the inconvenience, hopefully he will do something.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:19 am
Hello,

Revo, I see that you are selling conversions of MSX games. Even if they are freeware, you should at least contact the authors and tell them about it. I think it's disrespectful (to say the least) to sell games which you did not develop.

I have developed "No Back Down" for MSXdev21, and I hereby do not give you my permission to sell it under any form.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:59 am
@Ricco59: I told you on Gamopat and Youtube that I was gonna to convert your game. I don't think you ever answer. But thank you for creating an account here to complain.

@Metalion: I'm not selling any MSX2SMS conversion (few years ago I may have sold some Sky Jaguar, Road Fighter, Mopi Ranger, Mini Xevious, Gun SMoke, Dr Hello). Today I'm selling the MSX2SMS Megapack that you can see above. But I never said that it was including rom. I never sold any homebrew that's not mine, but thank you for creating an account here to complain.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:40 am
@Revo: What are the exact contents then? I really am curious?
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:45 am
Revo wrote
I'm selling the MSX2SMS Megapack that you can see above. But I never said that it was including rom.

Let's see ...

So you are posting here information about the fact that you converted MSXdev games to SMS. You post only pictures of them, but never the file itself (which you could, since they are freeware - again with permission of the authors). But you do maintain a rom "fullset", as you explain a few messages back. Again, no link to the file, or a free distribution.

Then you advertize the fact that you are selling a cartridge to play those games. With the picture of a memory card that goes with it.

And we are supposed to believe that you are not selling the games with the cartridge ?

And even if we set the cartridge problem aside, as I said, you should at least have the decence to ask the authors for their permission to convert the homebrew games. In your answer, I see nowhere that you are acknowledging that, not that you are going to do it.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:38 am
@Zipper: Like you see in the picture, box, everdrive (with hacked menu), sd card, manual.

@Metalion: I deleted all rom presented here yesterday, reason above.

The link of my fullset is in the video description as Maxim is not ok for me to put it here, it will also be soon on file-hunter.

About the SD card being empty, believe me or not I don't care.

I converted more than 100 homebrew, all of them were public and free. No time to contact every author one by one. But when you put something public I don't see why peoples should not play with it (if they don't intend to make money with it)?

And here a quote from the readme of my MSX2SMS fullset:

Thanks to all persons who have been working on these conversions: haroldoop, BKK, bsittler, Stokes, Calindro, Alex1975Br and myself Révo.
Thanks to all developers of original and homebrew games.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:44 am
We don’t like to have the copyrighted stuff attached directly. Patches are fine. I think for homebrew it is difficult to manage licensing, credit and permissions - and as you are already ignoring that for commercial, but much older, stuff then it’s easy to apply the same logic to homebrew. However, it would also be good to make some effort there to avoid causing offence where it is not intended. Maybe work together with certain less technically skilled MSX2SMS enthusiasts?

Also, I think SMS is a terrible MSX-ish platform if only because of the crappy colour mapping. Thus I generally keep out of this thread.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:24 am
creating an account here to complain

These are not just “people who complain”, these are the MAKERS of the content you’re ripping off and selling for €60, making good money off of their work that they published for free. Without them, you would not have modern retro games to port at all.

They put in many many hours developing their games, and then you spend such a minimal effort on porting that you don’t even have time to contact them? This is not a problem of time but a lack of will and respect. The makers get no opportunity to even do some quality checks or to suggest improvements, let alone the opportunity to object or do the port themselves because they are interested in SMS development as well (maybe not anymore thanks to you!). You tell them off when they complain about it, and you expect that to go over well with the MSX community?

Revo wrote
I converted more than 100 homebrew, all of them were public and free. No time to contact every author one by one. But when you put something public I don't see why peoples should not play with it (if they don't intend to make money with it)?

But you should ask for permission. Though I can imagine by now it will be hard for you to get that permission. This disregard and disrespect, and the terrible attitude, is putting you and SMSPower in a very bad light for the MSX community.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:59 am
I think for homebrew it is difficult to manage licensing, credit and permissions - and as you are already ignoring that for commercial, but much older, stuff then it’s easy to apply the same logic to homebrew.

I think it's a good idea to remove at least those homebrew ports where the original authors want them removed - to show you didn't want to disregard their work

then, you (as anyone) are still free to distribute patches (IPS) as that doesn't involve distribution of any of the original contents

my 2 cents
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:47 pm
..................................Ehhhhhhhhh.
I'm sticking with making patches for now on. So much talented MSX workers are getting their work pirated, or taken, or..... Whatever you name it.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:06 pm
Wow the MSX community landing here seems really nice.

Again, the everdrive I'm selling will have no rom in it. You can found all the conversions for free on internet, I don't see why selling them.

As I don't want to put SMSPower in "a very bad light", even if I'm just a member like you here, I'll stop answering your complains. If you want to sue me, please send me a private message so I can send you my personal information.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 1:11 pm
Last edited by Micha on Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Revo wrote

I see some incorrect conversions on this cart (also one of my games), and I would recommend to either fix the problems or leave the troubled games out of this pack.
I also believe that contacting the developers before making a conversion might be a good idea; the MSX community is quite helpfull and it might save you a lot of work (and angry posts)
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:50 pm
In an other world:
Micha.png (96.08 KB)
Micha.png

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:52 pm
Revo wrote
In an other world:

GODFRICCIN DAMMIT
I KNEW PAC-01 WAS DIFFICULT
I tried to even change the AY sounds to SN just manually!
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 6:59 pm
@Stokes, you were in charge of updating Raven sound! Now all the MSX community is against us (me?), happy?

@MSX enthusiasts: 'member that your system is NOTHING without piracy ;) Make love instead of war! And 'member that I'm French, so I'll never listen to you. Sorry, not really.
Oh and again: the everdrive I'm selling will have no rom in it. You can found all the conversions for free on internet, I don't see why selling them.
And thank you for contacting Arnaud from file-hunter, nice shitty move there.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:02 pm
Revo wrote
@Stokes, you were in charge of updating Raven sound! Now all the MSX community is against us (me?), happy?

@MSX enthusiasts: 'member that your system is NOTHING without piracy ;) Make love instead of war! And 'member that I'm French, so I'll never listen to you. Sorry, not really.
Oh and again: the everdrive I'm selling will have no rom in it. You can found all the conversions for free on internet, I don't see why selling them.
And thank you for contacting Arnaud from file-hunter, nice shitty move there.

WAIYE! I was??? IDEK- God- Y'know what, I'm not being in any of this MSX attack drama, for all of those new creators that started to make these good games and hacks, good job and sorry that this whole thing happened. I'm out, peace!
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:06 pm
I'm out too, please Maxim delete my account, until further notice, I'll only post my work on Master System France forum.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:34 pm
Last edited by Ricco59 on Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
You're wrong Revo. The only reason I signed up for smspower is that I'm working on the sms version and I'm always looking for answers by going to the 'dev' section (I also really like the homebrews section).

Reading the forum, I saw that you had adapted DoTheSame and it surprised me because I didn't read anything on gamopat that would suggest you were going to convert it to SMS... In the future, please contact me directly by email (I do not always go on gamopat or youtube)

Peace
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:36 pm
Ricco59 wrote
You're wrong Revo. The only reason I signed up for smspower is that I'm working on the sms version and I'm always looking for answers by going to the 'dev' section (I also really like the homebrews section).

Reading the forum, I saw that you had adapted DoTheSame and it surprised me because I didn't read anything on gamopat that would suggest you were going to convert it to SMS... In the future, please contact me directly by email (I do not always go on gamopat or youtube)

I'm back, also good luck with the SMS port.
Revo
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:08 pm
In an other world:

Sources: https://www.gamopat-forum.com/t111594-wip-msx-where-is-it-inscrit-au-msxdev-21

And youtube video BFIU71B9jK4
Ricco59.png (133.98 KB)
Ricco59.png
Ricco59-2.png (36.67 KB)
Ricco59-2.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:20 pm
Jeebus, there’s too much drama here. @Stokes, you have uploaded 25MB, we can’t host unlimited amounts so please consider replacing some of your >1MB zips because they presumably have more in them than needed. @Revo, please respect others. You are a free spirit but please don’t let your opinions be taken as those of the community. Go ahead and piss people off in your own context but we won’t host stuff that people object to. @everyone else, PM me anything on this site that is a problem for you and we can sort it out, slowly because I don’t have much time.
Post Posted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:52 pm
As I said, I'm not often on Gamopat and I've just red your comment

For your "where is it" gamopat comment :
-----------------------------------------------------
Hi, Great game, I've done the SMS conversion

For your "where is it" youtube comment :
----------------------------------------------------
You wrote : " Super cool I hope the game will be easily adaptable on Master System! I do MSX2SMS conversions;)"

My answer : "Thank you 👍 However, I am thinking of making a sms adaptation with new graphs"

Peace amigo
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!