Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - MSX to SMS Hacks

Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Taylor Stokes' MSX2SMS Ports
Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:16 pm
Here are the updated MSX2SMS tools, enjoy! :-)
Tools (v3).zip (147.24 KB)

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:41 pm
Revo wrote
Update for 4 Casio games: Koneko no Daibouken, Sinbad, The Stone of Wisdom, Yokai Yasiki.

Glitch on text fixed. Only Sinbad is working on real hardware, the others requires DahJee RAM extension adapter.

BTW, you can make games with DahJee screen working on Emulicious by changing the extension to .sg

Sorry if I made this question again, I just needed to know which DahJee RAM extension works for the Aaronix SG-1000 II / Mark III in Taiwan. The pictures I've taken are right here using RetroArch. These are all running on SG-1000 II hardware emulation. (Rally-X (TW) uses a different loader in the file, loader doesn't work for all MSX games, and Road Fighter is the Aaronix Loader 1 in this case. As you look at the top of Aaronix 2 and 3, you will see the Aaronix logo text. Real logo is there just for comparison. DahJee title's here too.)
Aaronix.png (955 B)
Aaronix.png

Post Posted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Here is four Konami games that would be great as ports. Circus Charlie, Comic Bakery and Pooyan work good on SG-1000 II hardware emulation. Magical Tree has a problem because it shows chunky white or light gray lines while being played on SG-1000 II.
Pooyan (MSX2SMS).zip (144.71 KB)

Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:08 pm
dink wrote
Maybe this will inspire some people to add an msx to their collection :) or at least an MSX emulator (for proper sound and colors) ;)

I did actually try out American Truck. Only the truck goes right, and you can stop it by using left I'm supposing.

Joy Soft's loader makes me think of an MSX emulator because it runs the codes of almost every 8, 16, or 32 kilobyte game, plus, it even changes the Yamaha's YM2149 / AY-3-8910 noise sound into the Texas Instruments' SN76489 noise and fixed music. As an example, merge David 2 with the loader, and you'll see what I mean. :-)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:06 pm
Stokes wrote
Well, I use Taiwanese (Aaronix) and Korean (Clover, Hi-Com and Joy Soft) loaders to play these working MSX games. I also know for a fact that they already done some stuff. I'm just demonstrating and testing if they work correctly on the loaders. Master Everdrive is not what I'm using, I use the RetroArch Genesis Plus GX because it's emulation is pretty good and decent as a emulator.

I still don't quite understand the reasoning for the loaders? Especially in an emulator, given there are already MSX emus.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:41 am
Greg2600 wrote
Stokes wrote
Well, I use Taiwanese (Aaronix) and Korean (Clover, Hi-Com and Joy Soft) loaders to play these working MSX games. I also know for a fact that they already done some stuff. I'm just demonstrating and testing if they work correctly on the loaders. Master Everdrive is not what I'm using, I use the RetroArch Genesis Plus GX because it's emulation is pretty good and decent as a emulator.

I still don't quite understand the reasoning for the loaders? Especially in an emulator, given there are already MSX emus.

Yeah, but they're just thoughts of playing them from the Microsoft system to the Sega system to play.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:10 pm
Stokes wrote
I did actually try out American Truck. Only the truck goes right, and you can stop it by using left I'm supposing.

There is a bad rom-dump of of American Truck that exhibits this behavior, here's a proper dump, attached.
amtrucka.zip (14.18 KB)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:05 pm
Greg2600 wrote

I agree to an extent. Using the loader to run on an emulator for a different system seems self-serving, but getting the games running on hardware is kinda cool. I really ought to get my Game Gear working so that I can have a crack at getting some headers fixed and stuff.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:30 pm
You guys, keep our lovely Sega Master System alive,
thank you very much one more time!!!
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:57 pm
law81 wrote

You're very welcome! :-)
Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:11 pm
law81 wrote

BTW of this saying, are you leaving this site?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:15 am
I just want to tell you all just a shoutout to RetroRGB for featuring me in the MSX2SMS update article. You can go on the website and see. :-)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:33 pm
bsittler wrote
Nice work! I attempted to incorporate a subset of these games into the SG2GG package in its latest update, though it requires using the Makefile, installing z80asm & Python 3, etc., since these aren't simple IPS patches due to (a) combining parts from two input files, and (b) changing the file offsets as compared to the original MSX ROM dumps. In any case, they do at least run on the Game Gear hardware using an EverDrive

https://www.smspower.org/forums/16912#103058

BTW bsittler, is there any way you can create a SG2GG version of the Joy Soft Loader for Game Gear with both start and ending files?
Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:34 pm
I just figured out a way to get 32kB MSX games on Game Gear, I will soon publish these.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:30 pm
bsittler wrote
Nice work! I attempted to incorporate a subset of these games into the SG2GG package in its latest update, though it requires using the Makefile, installing z80asm & Python 3, etc., since these aren't simple IPS patches due to (a) combining parts from two input files, and (b) changing the file offsets as compared to the original MSX ROM dumps. In any case, they do at least run on the Game Gear hardware using an EverDrive

The Joy Soft comes from C-SO (Korea).
Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:13 am
Here are 32kB MSX games on Game Gear. Some games don't work, but here you go. Enjoy! :-)

Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:44 am
Stokes wrote
bsittler wrote

BTW bsittler, is there any way you can create a SG2GG version of the Joy Soft Loader for Game Gear with both start and ending files?

I don't yet know how to do this in a way that works on real hardware for C_So! [MSX] (KR). The Joy Soft/근우교역 conversion of C_So! doesn't seem to run correctly on the Game Gear with an EverDrive even unpatched, it just resets the game each time a button is pressed. I suspect there is a Sega mapper register write somewhere in the game initialization code. In any case I have attached a patch here that can be applied to C_So! [MSX] KR, and perhaps it will help somehow.

edit: the SG2GG patches are updated to include this, and also the Makefile there knows how to apply this "Joy Soft" MSX-to-SG BIOS replacement to other games: https://www.smspower.org/forums/16912-SG1000SC3000MarkIIIJPSMSRArrExportSMSRArrG...
C_So! [MSX] (KR) SG2GG.ips (534 B)
non-functional! C_So! [MSX] (KR) SG2GG.ips

Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:37 pm
bsittler wrote
Stokes wrote
bsittler wrote

I don't yet know how to do this in a way that works on real hardware for C_So! [MSX] (KR). The Joy Soft/근우교역 conversion of C_So! doesn't seem to run correctly on the Game Gear with an EverDrive even unpatched, it just resets the game each time a button is pressed. I suspect there is a Sega mapper register write somewhere in the game initialization code. In any case I have attached a patch here that can be applied to C_So! [MSX] KR, and perhaps it will help somehow.

edit: the SG2GG patches are updated to include this, and also the Makefile there knows how to apply this "Joy Soft" MSX-to-SG BIOS replacement to other games: https://www.smspower.org/forums/16912-SG1000SC3000MarkIIIJPSMSRArrExportSMSRArrG...

Just got the zip file, included Gyruss (ColecoVision) too, I will see if it works on Q-Bert's Qubes (My ColecoVision port), thanks. :-)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:43 pm
bsittler wrote
Stokes wrote
bsittler wrote

Once again, both work great, thanks! :-)
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm
bsittler wrote
Stokes wrote
bsittler wrote

I also wanted to know what is GalaxFix. Was it a MSX to SMS conversion?
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:13 pm
GalaxFix modifies MSX1 Galaxian to be able to run on MSX2. I didn't invent the technique, but I couldn't find an IPS for it, only manual hex editing instructions, so I made a patch for it. Apologies, it ended up not making a real difference on SMS although it does remove a stay write to 0xFFFF (or was it 0000?) if I recall correctly
Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:16 pm
bsittler wrote
GalaxFix modifies MSX1 Galaxian to be able to run on MSX2. I didn't invent the technique, but I couldn't find an IPS for it, only manual hex editing instructions, so I made a patch for it. Apologies, it ended up not making a real difference on SMS although it does remove a stay write to 0xFFFF (or was it 0000?) if I recall correctly

Alright then, thanks for the response.
Reply to topic Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!