Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - A cartridge case for my Master EverDrive

Reply to topic
A cartridge case for my Master EverDrive
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:53 am
I finally got around to putting my Master EverDrive into a case and it got me thinking. How many of you guys have your Everdrives in a case? And if you do, what game did you use as the donor cartridge case.

I'm using After Burner. :)

Here's a pic of my dev SMS1 setup.
everdrive_case.jpg (312.12 KB)
everdrive_case.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:02 pm
I don't have a picture atm, but my everdrive is in a case.
The donor was a labelless Altered Beast.
I'll try to remember to get a picture tonight.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm
should I get the Master System everdrive or the Game Gear Everdrive. I have the TV out on my Game Gear, but I also have the FM on my SMS.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:28 pm
I had to put mine in a case in a hurry and had to kill one of my favourite games (one of the few I had in the house rather than in distant storage), which was a tough call to make. The loser was Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which I've owned since the 90s. There are many much more deserving games...

I also didn't have a suitable tool to open it, so it got pretty gouged up by pliers that were not narrow nosed enough. I did sacrifice several Bic pens failing to open it before doing that...
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:07 am
Maxim wrote
I had to put mine in a case in a hurry and had to kill one of my favourite games (one of the few I had in the house rather than in distant storage), which was a tough call to make. The loser was Wonder Boy in Monster Land, which I've owned since the 90s. There are many much more deserving games...

I also didn't have a suitable tool to open it, so it got pretty gouged up by pliers that were not narrow nosed enough. I did sacrifice several Bic pens failing to open it before doing that...

Your patience needs more patience=P
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 am
I kept my EverDrive naked. So sexy ;)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 am
Before I had the case on my everdrive I was tring to remove the card from the cart slot and It wasn't moving. I pulled and pulled before realising that the little surface mount resistors were catching on the dust cover. Hopefully I haven't weakened the solder joints with the excessive force I was using. ;-)

I got my donor case from ebay.

Unfortunately I sold off all my original carts (back in the day) to the kids next door so I could upgrade to a mega drive. I regret that now ;-)
Post Posted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:04 pm
I bought a sealed SEGA CHESS to use as a donor for my SMS Everdrive. Didn't want to sacrifice any of the games in my modest collection, but I also didn't want to use a beaten up, scratched, cracked cartridge, I wanted the ED to look good.

I did make a proper label for it, and a cover for the universal cartridge case I got for it.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:51 am
tokumaru wrote

I did make a proper label for it, and a cover for the universal cartridge case I got for it.

Cool.

Any pictures of your cart/case?
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:02 pm
efry wrote

Just took these, sorry if they're not very clear! =)

I did this kind of work for all of my Flash carts (the SMS one is the only that got a brand new case, though). I usually put iconic characters on the back, like Sonic, Mario or a Space Invader, but that silly robot somehow seemed very representative of the early SMS box art, so I used it even though I never played that game.

BTW: I'm posting from my phone and I have to submit my posts/edits like 5 times or so before it finally works... Is this just me or is it a known issue?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:43 pm
If you are moving around then your IP keeps changing and that seems to trigger some suspicion.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:08 pm
tokumaru wrote
BTW: I'm posting from my phone and I have to submit my posts/edits like 5 times or so before it finally works... Is this just me or is it a known issue?

I'm sometimes having the same issue using my pc.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:53 pm
tokumaru wrote
I did this kind of work for all of my Flash carts (the SMS one is the only that got a brand new case, though). I usually put iconic characters on the back, like Sonic, Mario or a Space Invader, but that silly robot somehow seemed very representative of the early SMS box art, so I used it even though I never played that game.

I think it looks great! And the Transbot seems to be comfortable in there :)
Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:22 pm
I like the little SD card details you have included on the top of the label. :)
Post Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:35 pm
I've just ordered the PCB from Krikzz. Much to my chagrin, the cased version at Retro Towers is out of stock. I was tempted to get one of these beauties but money is a bit tight and I didn't want to run the risk of getting stung by customs:
http://www.stoneagegamer.com/master-everdrive-deluxe.html

I have a mint CIB copy of Jurassic Park that fits the bill. The game sucks so it's going to have to take one for the team.

I have a Maplin kit full of security screw bits so opening the cart up isn't an issue - the only thing I'm unsure about is how to make a hole in the cartridge case for the SD card. How do people do that and what do they use?

Edit: Just got round this act of desecration by ordering an MMC card that fits inside the case. The trade off is that you have to unscrew the cart whenever you want to add games to the card but I can live with that.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:10 am
In my experience, the most effective tools to mod cartridge cases for EverDrives are nail files (this kind, specifically, which is almost the width of an SD card).

Just line up the EverDrive PCB with the SD card inserted and mark the edges of the hole you need to make, and start filing that plastic. Start slow, because in the beginning it's hard to stay between the marks, but once the file sinks a bit and you have walls to prevent it from slipping to the sides, you can do it more vigorously.

Stop every once in a while to make sure that the whole is properly aligned to the card, so you can make small adjustments as needed. Also check if the hole looks straight, and file more off one side or the other as necessary to keep it straight.

The whole process takes a while if you're careful (about 20 minutes), but the results pay off! You can hardly tell the hole was hacked in, especially if you use the fine side of the file for finishing. It really looks like the case was manufactured that way.

It's such a cheap and easy way to make good looking flash cart cases, that it saddens me when I see people clumsily breaking off pieces of plastic, or even melting it, with atrocious results.
Post Posted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:43 pm
tokumaru wrote
efry wrote

Just took these, sorry if they're not very clear! =)

Which case is that? Did you bought it or hacked a plastic case like, say, a VHS cassette case? Looks very neat!
Post Posted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:35 am
It's an "Universal Game Case". They used to be quite easy to find online, not sure if they still are. Due to them supporting many types of cartridges, they don't have a tight grip like original cases do, just a few tabs keeping the cartridges more or less centered.
Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:45 am
mine was a blank cart but on the back it has "world grand prix for product display-working unit only, not for sale"...hmmm..maybe I shouldn't have cut out that slot for the SD card lol. Made a custom case and label for it.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!