Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Master Kiosk any info on turning of timer?

Reply to topic
Sega Master Kiosk any info on turning of timer?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:44 am
Hi, I'm new to this froum. I had just just purchased a Sega Master kiosk. It has a built in timer only allows two to three minuets of game play. I would like to know if you have anyone who would help me out. I also have five other Sega video game kiosk.

Thanks! Segacdi
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:38 pm
Do you have 5 Master System kiosks or are they for other Sega systems?

I have a kiosk and have not been able to get mine to play for any longer than 1 min 40 sec (I timed it) it ranges from 40 sec to 1 min to 1 min 40 sec.

I've played with dip switches quite abit but there are many combinations and i've just not had time to test all combos.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm
james costello wrote

I have a kiosk and have not been able to get mine to play for any longer than 1 min 40 sec (I timed it) it ranges from 40 sec to 1 min to 1 min 40 sec.

I've played with dip switches quite abit but there are many combinations and i've just not had time to test all combos.

The other 4 Sega kiosk are 2 Geneis, Game gear, Dreamcast, Saturn.
On the Sega Master kiosk there some numbers from 1 to 8 what are these used for?
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:20 pm
segacdi wrote
james costello wrote

The other 4 Sega kiosk are 2 Geneis, Game gear, Dreamcast, Saturn.
On the Sega Master kiosk there some numbers from 1 to 8 what are these used for?

Well aparently those are the dip switches.. I think you need to select the correct combination to make it play longer. I assume it would have come with a manual when new :(

Bock has a diagram of the board somwhere but i'm not sure that will clear things up anyway as he cant get his to play longer either.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:29 pm
here..
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms_store_display_unit/sms_store_display_units-schematic-v05.gif
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:56 pm
james costello wrote
here..
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms_store_display_unit/sms_store_display_units-schematic-v05.gif

What would be the chance to email Sega and see if any one has any idea what I'm talking about. Where could I find the email to Sega?

Thanks
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:00 pm
segacdi wrote
james costello wrote
here..

What would be the chance to email Sega and see if any one has any idea what I'm talking about. Where could I find the email to Sega?

Thanks

erm.. well I want to work this out as much as you but the chances of getting to a person in Sega who can help with a 20+ year old peice of (pretty rare) hardware is pretty much zero.

Maybe sombody good with electronics is able to help? or is there more to it than that... really i would like to be able to just totally bypass the timer, best result would be a switch to turn the timer either on or off though.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:08 pm
The DIP switches will either be enabling/disabling some features or setting some time interval. I recommend you note the current position, then try them all up and then all down. If neither is good, you can then go back to the original.

You'd expect there to be an "unlimited play" option in there.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:56 am
I did not find an unlimited play setting with the dipswitches (not that I tried for too long).

But with no doubt it should be possible to hack the BIOS and rewrite an EPROM without a timer.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:00 pm
In the drawing James has given the link to, I see a few condensators and a black rectangle with no name nearby the dip switches. It could be that a common 555 chip counts the time according to the combination of these condensators and (maybe) the resistance of that not-named black rectangle? The combination of a certain dipswitch setting selects a different resistance which alters the lenght of the countdown by that 555 timer chip.

A short explanation on timer cirquits is given at http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#4

Or I could be very very wrong here :-) ..
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:26 pm
Brt wrote
In the drawing James has given the link to, I see a few condensators and a black rectangle with no name nearby the dip switches. It could be that a common 555 chip counts the time according to the combination of these condensators and (maybe) the resistance of that not-named black rectangle? The combination of a certain dipswitch setting selects a different resistance which alters the lenght of the countdown by that 555 timer chip.

A short explanation on timer cirquits is given at http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/LM555.html#4

Interesting link, thanks.

I note from the table shown that 100seconds is noted as the largest figure in the X axis which ties in with what I said above that the longest time I could get it to play was 1 min 40 sec.

Somebody with more skills than me needs to persue this more.

There is also this picture which may help somebody to help us..
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms_store_display_unit/sms_store_display_units-03-big-annoted.jpg
Post Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:52 pm
james costello wrote
Brt wrote

Interesting link, thanks.

I note from the table shown that 100seconds is noted as the largest figure in the X axis which ties in with what I said above that the longest time I could get it to play was 1 min 40 sec.

Somebody with more skills than me needs to persue this more.

There is also this picture which may help somebody to help us..
http://www.smspower.org/misc/sms_store_display_unit/sms_store_display_units-03-big-annoted.jpg

Hi, Would anybody know the model of the dip switch in the Sega Master Kiosk?
Thanks Segacdi
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:26 am
I don't think dip switches have models, they're just switches. The pin spacing is all that matters.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:05 am
We seem to be assuming a lot since we don't know where the traces from the dip switch are connecting too.

Going purely off location alone it would appear the dipswitch is connected to a resistor pack above it which may or may not be connected to the octal bus transceiver above that (SN74LS245N). Though 8 switches / 8 address lines, maybe it has some effect on bus addressing.

What is that IDE connector going to? (I'm assuming the front display panel)
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!