Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS European Demo Unit II

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
SMS European Demo Unit II
Post Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:30 pm
Last edited by Bock on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
http://cgi.ebay.de/Sega-Master-System-with-5-Slot-Kiosk-Demo-Unit-II_W0QQitemZ18...

(Of course the price is a total joke.)

The cartridge are soldered ROM so they are not prototypes.

Original Sega Japan 5-Slot Kiosk Demo Unit II w/ 5 Demo Carts, Power Base & Accessories

Now, this is an auction for one of a rare collectors item. Here we go for a multiregion Sega Master System Powerbase I with a 5-Slot original Sega Kiosk Demo Unit II. Along with that you get 5 Sega Japan Demo Carts. All made around 1986/87. Consider this very rare collectors items, this set is 21+ Years old and in *like new* condition. Ok, what you will get exactly for your bid? First of all, of course, the "Sega Demo Unit II". This little box was designed for shop-windows or demonstration cabinets, so shopowners just can put the system in the shops street-window or the demonstration-cabinet without need to touch it again and people passing by can see 5 different games without the seller has to change carts. What more? Ok, with this box 5 demo carts are included, they were in the box when i got it, so i can't tell if they are specially made just for the demo unit, but i tested normal carts as well, they work also. Installed in the box there is a timer (that little yellow pot), depending on the setting of that timer the demo box automatically switches to the next cart when the demo time is up. No manual cart change is needed. The time can be set from several seconds up to several minutes, maybe an hour, that i nver have tested. Note that this is not just a watch only demo playback, the carts can actually be played with the controller. Ok, what more? Of course you get the Power Base with it, it is modified to playback carts PAL and NTSC and will work all around the globe. The "Powerbase I" has a special cartridge expansion connector not found on any of the later models just to connect the demo box on. Note: To access this special connector you have to break out a little plastic piece out of the Power Base's casing. I have NOT performed that because once the piece is broken out you cannot set it back. This is why i had to open the Power Base to show the box operating properly for the pictures shown below. I have not done this because the value may go down if the casing is broken! You can do this yourself, if you feel like to do this, no problem. Ok, ok, what more? With the console and the demo box you'll get everything shown on the first picture as there is one controller, a videocable and a powersupply. Please consider this PSU is only for usage in 220V regions and wallplugs like they are in Germany, if you are from an other country you have to replace the PSU with one fitting to your envoirment. The Demo box will be feed with power through the console, no 2nd PSU is needed. OK THATS IT!

What do i get?

# Sega Master System I Multiregion (PAL/NTSC)
# Original Sega 5-Slot Demo Unit II Serial-No.: 1769
# 5 DemoCarts: Altered Beast, Bomber Raid, Double Dragon, Vigilante, World Grand Prix
# PowerSupplyUnit 220Volts / Videocable / Controller

boxloadedwc9.jpg (132 KB)
boxloadedwc9.jpg
boxserialhu3.jpg (85.08 KB)
boxserialhu3.jpg
completepackss0.jpg (95.28 KB)
completepackss0.jpg
connectorym1.jpg (196.81 KB)
connectorym1.jpg
demoboxopentl7.jpg (102.69 KB)
demoboxopentl7.jpg
democartsbackos3.jpg (112.74 KB)
democartsbackos3.jpg
democartsfrontxm4.jpg (105.44 KB)
democartsfrontxm4.jpg
systembacklf1.jpg (68.93 KB)
systembacklf1.jpg
systemserialai5.jpg (97.91 KB)
systemserialai5.jpg

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:04 am
Yeah, not even that cool of an item really. It's kind of neat, but doesn't have the flair of the regular model, which you can set a nice TV on top of. Plus, that looks like some weak plastic. The price is totally off the wall, I don't think he realizes the cost of some countries to do a bank transfer too. If I actually paid for it, it would be an extra $200 JUST for the transfer to occur. Screw that. Won't even work here.
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:50 am
the question with 'regards james' is mine by the way... Plus we have communicated quite a few other times.

sombody on Assembler forums has this same unit, not sure if its the same person though.
kenneth bis
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:38 am
nope, not the same person: it's kaori30, a french collector. But his unit hasn't got the black plastic box around it.

Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:52 pm
kenneth bis wrote
nope, not the same person: it's kaori30, a french collector. But his unit hasn't got the black plastic box around it.

I see, so it's note quite as rare a I thought.Has anyone seen any others?

I don't think this guy is going to part with this one for less cash. I'd really like one of these for my collection.. theres always somthing!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:27 pm
I think Wilson also has one of those unit.

I also recall an auction from Germany around 2000 that had the same unit. I'm not exactly sure it was this one or another, I think the auction got pulled off or something, i haven't saved pictures of it.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:11 am
So, Bock, where did your demos come from? I got mine here and I believe you got yours from Britain, is that correct? Is this II model from Germany mainly or elsewhere in Europe?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:22 am
Stan wrote
So, Bock, where did your demos come from? I got mine here and I believe you got yours from Britain, is that correct? Is this II model from Germany mainly or elsewhere in Europe?

What are you talking about Stan? The big display units? I got all from US.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:40 pm
Yeah, those. So is this the model they used in Europe or did you guys get the big ones as well?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:05 pm
I don't recall seeing anything of this kind back in the days myself. But surely I haven't went to all shops and those hardware are usually not accessible by the public then.

There is an "outer" Master System cabinet that I own, I don't know how it was meant to be used (with a single game or not).
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:44 pm
I never saw any multi-cart SMS demo units where I lived. The closest I saw was some kind of glass cabinet with the TV and console inside, but it may have been a generic thing rather than from Sega. The TV was black and white so it could have been ancient.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:56 pm
I'm going to upload that thing I keep telling you guys about, sounds similar to what Maxim just mentioned. I never saw one, but it's in my store catalog. It has the demo unit and a TV on this big stand thing.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:40 pm
Not sure if anyone here has seen these pics but schlingle just posted the link over on sega8bit..

http://kaori30.com/index.php?action=fiche&address=90&CodeJeux=72220
72220.1.jpg (312.57 KB)
72220.1.jpg
72220.2.jpg (290.06 KB)
72220.2.jpg
72220.3.jpg (288.84 KB)
72220.3.jpg
72220.4.jpg (654.46 KB)
72220.4.jpg

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:08 pm
Doesn't want to pop the plastic out (may lower value) but will drill a hole for a toggle switch?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:07 pm
The instructions are interesting; I've never seen that style of "card catcher", and presumably the list of games (just Out Run actually) that "can not be demonstrated" means games that don't work from the expansion slot?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:41 pm
Note the time adjustment screw. I wish the US kiosk had this, even so 120 seconds isnt really long enough to get a good go on a game :/

Edit: I just read that you cannot actually play the games that run through the demo unit.. I wonder why this would be?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:19 am
You'd have to hobble the host SMS to do that. This is just a multi-game switch box connected to the expansion port, so long as the game can run from there (most games support it) it ought to be the same as plugging the cart into the slot.
Post Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:49 pm
There was another one of those for sale on ebay germany this week (someone sent me the link to the ended auction)

http://www.ebay.de/itm/180913947990
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:48 am
Attaching pictures from that auction.
cimg0221u.jpg (173.56 KB)
cimg0221u.jpg
cimg0222z.jpg (144.44 KB)
cimg0222z.jpg
cimg0223k.jpg (188.56 KB)
cimg0223k.jpg
cimg0224do.jpg (304.91 KB)
cimg0224do.jpg