[hier toc gefressen]
HANDLING THE MEGA CARTRIDGE™
The Mega Cartridge is intended for use exclusively on the Sega System™.
Do not bend, get wet, disfigure or subject to thinners, benzine or violent impact.
Do not expose to direct sunlight or heat source.
If it becomes wet, dry it completely before using.
When dirty, carefully wipe only with a soft cloth dipped in soapy water.
After each use, put cartridge back in case.
Original game created by Robert P. Jaeger. ©1984 Utopia Software, Inc.
Instructions © 1989 Parker Brothers, Division of Tonka Corporation, Beverly, MA 01915. Printed in Japan.
- MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE® Mega Cartridge
- User's Manual
How to Load Your Cartridge
- Make sure the power switch is on OFF.
- Following the instructions in your Sega System manual, insert the MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE cartridge in the Power Base as shown.
- Turn the power switch to ON. (If nothing appears on screen, recheck how the cartridge is inserted.)
IMPORTANT: Always make sure the power base is turned OFF when inserting or removing your Sega cartridge.
Taking the Controls
- To Select Play Level
- Move Direction Button Up or Down to select which level of gameplay you'll start on.
- To start game
- Press Button 1.
- To move PANAMA JOE™
- Use the Directional (D) Button to move him up and down or left and right by pressing it in the desired direction.
- To make Joe jump
- Press Button 1 to make PANAMA JOE jump up or down. If he is moving left or right at the time, he will jump in that direction.
- Button 2
- Press any time you want to use the power of the Amulet. When this is active, no creature can hurt PANAMA JOE. So make sure to pick up Amulets when you find them, and use them wisely.
Quick Reference Summary
- To Start
- Read SETUP to learn how to insert the cartridge and operate the hand-held controller. To Check Tool Supply: See Inventory Window in upper left-hand corner of screen.
- To Check Score
- See Score Box in upper right-hand corner.
- To Save PANAMA JOE'S Life
- He's got a total of six, but any one of the following can cost him a life: Laser Gates, Conveyor Belts, Disappearing Floors and Fire Pits, jumping for a Pole but missing it, Snakes, Spiders, Bats, Mummies, Rolling Boulders, and the special Treasure Room defense system.
- Earning Points
- See the points list on page 14.
MEET PANAMA JOE
That's what they call him 'round these parts, though no one knows his real name or where he comes from. But one thing's for sure, PANAMA JOE's a daredevil from the word "go"! No risk's too great if the reward's large enough. Winning. That's what's most important to him. And more times than not, that's what he does. Because he's tough, clever, and resourceful. But sometimes he's downright pig-headed, and occasionally he's been known to get in over his head. Luckily, he's got a knack for getting himself out of hot water as quickly as he gets in! Let's hope that, with your help, MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE is one of those times!
To help PANAMA JOE safely reach Montezuma's fantastic treasures by guiding him through mazes of 100 death-dealing chambers within the emperor's pyramids. Along the way, Joe must avoid a host of deadly creatures while he collects valuables and other tools which can help him master the evils of the pyramids — and escape with the loot and his life!
Once you start this game, you are PANAMA JOE, winding your way through Montezuma's pyramids. This means you've got to be ready to handle lots of action. Like climbing ladders and ropes. Sliding down poles. Jumping over (and under!) deadly creatures. And grabbing precious jewels and special tools along the way. No sweat, right? You'll be ready for anything because, PANAMA JOE, you thrive on the spirit of adventure and exploration. Maybe you'll need to backtrack through certain chambers. Or perhaps forge ahead blindly. Even test your memory to remember the location of a room you fought through earlier. Just be sure to keep a cool head, and use your special tools wisely. And, please — try not to let your greed blind you as you snatch up Montezuma's fabulous treasures!
Happy hunting, PANAMA JOE!
In the upper left-hand corner of the screen is the INVENTORY WINDOW. Each time PANAMA JOE collects a special tool (e.g. a sword, torch, or a key), that tool is displayed in the Inventory Window until he's through using it. (See SPECIAL TOOLS & REWARDS, page 12.)
At the bottom of the Inventory Window are five hats representing PANAMA JOE's additional lives. Each time you lose a life, one hat disappears from the Inventory Window. You'll begin the game with five hats — these are in addition to Joe's "original" life!
If you accumulate more than five extras, you'll see additional hats below your score.
The number to the immediate right of the Inventory Window indicates the game level currently being played.
In the upper right-hand corner of the screen is the SCORE BOX. Throughout the game, you will accumulate points and your score will be displayed here. (See SCORING, page 14.)
INSIDE MONTEZUMA'S PYRAMIDS
As you guide PANAMA JOE through Montezuma's pyramids, you'll encounter three major groups of elements in various combinations in all the chambers of the pyramids. They are:
- Room Fixtures
- Killer Creatures
- Special Tools & Rewards
- Laser Gates
- Destructive laser gates intermittently appear and disappear in various parts of a chamber. PANAMA JOE must avoid these laser gates and pass through ONLY when they disappear. IF PANAMA JOE HITS A LASER GATE, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Conveyor Belts
- These force PANAMA JOE to speed up or slow down, depending on the direction he's moving in. In general, if you move the D Button in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION to the way the conveyor is moving, PANAMA JOE will slow down while moving against the conveyor. If he is headed in the SAME DIRECTION as the conveyor, he will speed across to the other side where, at times, you must safely jump him off. IF PANAMA JOE MISSES JUMPING ONTO OR OFF AN ELEVATED CONVEYOR BELT AND FALLS TOO FAR, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Disappearing Floors
- In some chambers, there are certain sections of the floor which look different from the rest. These sections intermittently appear and disappear. You must time PANAMA JOE's crossing of these sections just right, because IF HE FALLS TOO FAR, OR THERE'S A FIRE PIT BELOW HIM, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- All through the pyramids, you'll encounter three different colored doors - red, blue and grey. These doors can ONLY be opened when PANAMA JOE approaches them with the corresponding color key (displayed in the Inventory Window). YOU GAIN 300 POINTS FOR OPENING ANY DOOR.
- Fire Pits
- Occasionally PANAMA JOE will come across a blazing fire pit as he maneuvers through a chamber. Fire pits must be avoided at all cost! Guide PANAMA JOE around them, or jump him over them whenever possible. IF PANAMA JOE FALLS INTO THE FLAMES, HE GOES UP IN A CLOUD OF SMOKE AND LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Ladders allow PANAMA JOE to travel up to or down from one level to the next. Simply move the D Button in the appropriate direction. PANAMA JOE CANNOT JUMP ONTO OR OFF A LADDER.
- These allow PANAMA JOE to slide DOWN ONLY from one level to the next. Simply jump PANAMA JOE onto a pole - he'll handle the rest. BUT IF HE MISSES THE POLE AND FALLS, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Much like ladders, ropes offer PANAMA JOE a way to travel from one level to the next. Simply jump him onto a rope and guide him up or down using the Directional Button.
- In his travels, PANAMA JOE will come across bouncing and rolling skulls. He must jump OVER the rolling skulls, and walk UNDER the bouncing ones. IF PANAMA JOE IS HIT BY A SKULL, HE LOSES ONE LIFE. But if he has a sword (check the Inventory Window), he can eliminate a skull by simply walking through it. YOU GAIN 2000 POINTS FOR ELIMINATING A SKULL.
- Watch out for the snakes! Though they don't move, they have a deadly bite. Whenever PANAMA JOE meets up with one, he must jump over it. Not even a sword will eliminate a snake. IF PANAMA JOE IS BITTEN, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Unlike snakes, spiders do get around. They even climb up ladders. IF ONE BITES PANAMA JOE, HE LOSES ONE LIFE. So he must either jump over them, or slay them with a sword (displayed in the Inventory Window). YOU GAIN 3000 POINTS FOR SLAYING A SPIDER.
- Don't stay in a room too long, or one of the giant bats will awaken and take you away. Quite nasty, really, and PANAMA JOE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- This lurching creature will go from room to room. He may be slow, but he's too tall to jump over. IF HE CATCHES PANAMA JOE, HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
- Rolling Boulder
- When you hear rumbling in the distance, PANAMA JOE had better move quickly or he'll be flatter than a tortilla - AND HE LOSES ONE LIFE.
Special Tools & Rewards
As PANAMA JOE works his way through the pyramids, he'll encounter special tools and rewards, all there for the taking. When possible, PANAMA JOE should jump up and grab a special item, which will then be displayed in the Inventory Window until it's used.
The Inventory Window can hold only 5 items at a time. Once it is filled, PANAMA JOE cannot collect any more special items.
The five special tools and rewards are:
- Press Button 2 to activate these hammer-shaped objects, which help PANAMA JOE evade killer creatures. Whenever he uses an amulet, all killer creatures turn grey and are disabled for several seconds - allowing PANAMA JOE to safely walk through them. He can even travel into another chamber during this time. But once this time is up, the amulet will disappear from the Inventory Window and the killer creatures will return to their nasty, normal-colored selves. COLLECTING AN AMULET IS WORTH 100 POINTS.
- These dazzling beauties are worth between 1000 and 5000 points apiece! PANAMA JOE simply jumps up and plucks them as he goes by. However, if the Inventory Window already contains five items, he cannot collect more jewels - even though jewels are not among the items displayed in the Window.
- To every red, blue and grey door in the pyramids there's a matching key. A door can only be opened with the corresponding colored key, which PANAMA JOE must grab along the way. Keys will be displayed in the Inventory Window until used. YOU GAIN 300 POINTS FOR OPENING A DOOR.
- A SWORD IN THE HAND IS WORTH 50 POINTS - so be sure not to pass up too many of them along the way. More important, a sword enables PANAMA JOE to eliminate spiders and skulls on contact.
- Don't underestimate the value of a torch. As PANAMA JOE travels deeper into the pyramids, he may encounter dark chambers. Only with the torch can he illuminate these hazardous rooms. Once he has a torch, he keeps it throughout the current game level. Without a torch, there is no light at all - and you must rely on your memory to guide PANAMA JOE safely through these chambers. GRABBING A TORCH EARNS YOU 3000 POINTS.
The Treasure Chamber
If PANAMA JOE safely navigates through all the chambers in the pyramids, he'll eventually reach his ultimate goal - the fabulous Treasure Chamber of Emperor Montezuma.
To enter this final chamber, daredevil PANAMA JOE must leap into the void. Once inside, he'll find several ropes - and the legendary jewels - all awaiting his grasp. In a matter of seconds, PANAMA JOE must jump from rope to rope while trying to collect as many jewels as possible. But beware! Montezuma has set a trap to defend his jewels, a set of pointed spears that come out of the floor and the ceiling. If PANAMA JOE touches a single point, YOU LOSE A LIFE -AND ALL THE POINTS YOU ACCUMULATED WHILE IN THE TREASURE ROOM!
END OF GAME
The game ends when you have lost all of PANAMA JOE'S lives — his "original" life and his five "extra" lives. When this happens, he will disappear, and all action on the screen will stop.
If the game ends while you are playing at Difficulty Level #1, simply press Button 1. You'll receive all six PANAMA JOE lives and begin the action (at a score of zero) at the same point at which the game ended. To start a new game, refer to SETTING THE CONSOLE CONTROLS section in the Sega instruction manual.
Collecting Special Tools & Rewards
||50 points each
||50 points each
||100 points each
||1000-5000 points each
||3000 points each
Eliminating Killer Creatures
||2000 points each
||3000 points each
||300 points each
Bonus PANAMA JOE Lives
||Extra PANAMA JOE life for every 10,000 points you score
|Levels 4 & up
||Extra PANAMA JOE life for every 20,000 points you score
In this game there are 11 Difficulty Levels. You may choose any one of the first 6 to begin playing; the remainder must be earned through gameplay. As you advance from one Difficulty Level to the next, the following things happen:
- New barriers may appear, or old ones disappear, changing the best paths to the Treasure Chamber.
- More (and faster-moving!) killer creatures appear in each successive Difficulty Level.
- The number of dark chambers increases.
Each time you successfully complete one Difficulty Level AND have at least ONE life left, you'll automatically advance to the next Difficulty Level.
90-DAY LIMITED WARRANTY
PARKER BROTHERS warrants, subject to the conditions below, that if the components of this product prove defective because of improper workmanship or material during the period of 90 days from the date of original purchase, PARKER BROTHERS will repair the product or replace it with a new or repaired unit, without charge, or will refund the purchase price. CONDITIONS:
- Proof of Purchase: The retail sales receipt or other proof of purchase must be provided.
- Proper Delivery: The product must be shipped prepaid, or delivered, to PARKER BROTHERS (address: 190 Bridge Street, Salem, MA 01970, Attention: Quality Control Dept.) for servicing, either in the original package or in a similar package providing an equal degree of protection.
- Unauthorized Repair, Abuse, etc.: The product must not have been previously altered, repaired or serviced by anyone other than PARKER BROTHERS; the product must not have been subjected to an accident, misuse, or abuse. REPAIRS AFTER EXPIRATION OF WARRANTY: If the product malfunctions after the 90-day warranty period, you may ship the product prepaid and with a check or money order for $10 enclosed, to Parker Brothers. Parker Brothers will, at its option, subject to the conditions above, repair the product or replace it with a new or repaired unit, subject to availability of parts. If replacement units or required parts are not available, the $10 payment will be refunded.
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES MADE BY PARKER BROTHERS IN CONNECTION WITH THE PRODUCT, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, ARE LIMITED IN DURATION TO A PERIOD OF 90 DAYS FROM THE DATE OF ORIGINAL PURCHASE; AND NO WARRANTIES, WHETHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, SHALL APPLY TO THIS PRODUCT AFTER SAID PERIOD. SHOULD THIS PRODUCT PROVE DEFECTIVE IN WORKMANSHIP AND MATERIAL, THE CONSUMER'S SOLE REMEDY SHALL BE SUCH REPAIR, REPLACEMENT OR REFUND AS IS HEREIN ABOVE EXPRESSLY PROVIDED, AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL PARKER BROTHERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE DIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL, ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF, OR INABILITY TO USE, THIS PRODUCT.
SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW LIMITATIONS ON HOW LONG AN IMPLIED WARRANTY LASTS, OR THE EXCLUSIONS OR LIMITATIONS OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC RIGHTS AND YOU MAY ALSO HAVE OTHER RIGHTS WHICH VARY FROM STATE TO STATE.
We will be happy to answer your questions or comments about our MONTEZUMA'S REVENGE® game. Write to: Consumer Relations Department, Parker Brothers, P.O.Box 1012, Beverly, MA 01915.
See the original manual scans at Montezumas Revenge - US - Manual
See the main page for Montezuma's Revenge - Featuring Panama Joe