Sonic Genesis for Master System: v1.0.1
- This hack replaces the Master System Sonic character by the Genesis version.
- Some sacrifices had to be made due to limitations of the Master System. Sonic had to be resized and the number of colors lowered. A lot of time, effort and eye squinting went into optimizing each frame manually, keeping as much detail from the Genesis as possible.
- The palette has been changed to make his shoes red.
How use the patch:
- The ips patch must be applied to the Master System version of Sonic the Hedgehog.
- Unpack both the original rom and this patch.
- Use Lunar IPS to apply the patch to the rom (it will overwrite the original rom).
- Optionally you can use one of these color palette patches. Make sure to apply them to the original rom:
- Game Gear: Lighter red shoes and grey is replaced by light blue (like Game Gear).
- Original: Original Master System color.
- Some frames of the Genesis are very wide and did not fit so parts had to be cut. In a few frames I changed the angle of his foot to make it fit better. In other frames the issue is not that distracting so I did not fix it.
- The jump (jumppad) frame contains one tile for the shoe tip that has not been changed. This tile is stored and loaded in a different way. It requires advanced hacking skills to change.
- The altered palettes have some minor side effects. Most noticeable is his skin color, but it also affects Robotnik, monitors, the signpost and more (?).
Special thanks to:
- tailsnic for his inspiring SMS -> GG Sonic mod and instruction video.
- Maxim for explaining the tile arrangement.
- Kagesan for explaining possibilities with palettes and the jump shoe tip issue.
- And everybody else at smspower.org!
- Master Tile Converter v0.9d
- Meka 0.80-alpha
- GIMP 2.10.24
- HxD 18.104.22.168
- Lunar IPS 1.0.2
- Fixed the checksum
- Red shoes palette is included in main patch
- Other palette patches are full patches to ensure the correct checksum and must be applied to the original rom
- Fixed the shoetip tiles in the jump (jumppad) frame. These tiles are stored in the rom using compression.
See the main page for Sonic The Hedgehog
Return to the hacks index