Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM archive] Zan Gear

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
[VGM archive] Zan Gear
Post Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:09 am
Last edited by Maxim on Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Zan Gear

- I hacked this game for Grass-eatin'me to rip it, so it's safe to assume all tracks are present, there are no unknown ones.
- Grass-eatin'me submitted it in sample-accurate form so I did a quick and dirty re-rip using EmuKon's automatic looping. Because of this, every looped track loops about 0.4s too late - perhaps a bug in EmuKon? So they need to be re-ripped.
- The music hack is:
[mekacrc: 8CE8B1B8A48E3BB6]
ROM[169] = 01 ; change this value
ROM[138] = ff ; increase demo timeout to a huge value
You can use Meka's memory editor in ROM mode to edit the track number at address 0169 (it should start at 1, using the above patch).
- The pack should be co-credited to Grass-eatin'me.
- "Spring of His Life" has a weird problem with the bassline (tone channel 3), starting at 0:33, where it seems to want to play a low note that's impossible on the PSG, so it cuts out. I'd like to confirm that it does this on the real system, but the game seems to require a lot of Japanese to play. Someone with a GG-PRO could help here, by running a patched ROM.
- Title screen image attached below.

Apart from that, I think this is the best-tagged set we have, and the music is extremely good.

[Edit: bolded the things I need help with]
[Edit: clarified the problem track]
zangear.png (1.64 KB)
Zan Gear title screen
zangear.png

Post Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:32 am
Wow..

I just gave this a listen - this is very good soundtrack :) I see no problem at all with the looping/information. I would say this needs to be approved ASAP!

Tafoid
Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:52 pm
hehe, Grass ripping some Wolfteam music. *surprise* ^^
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:33 pm
OK, folks...

This pack needs to be re-ripped.

I have posted the necessary hack, but as stated it's in the wrong format (sample accurate), and on further investigation there are a few more short "tracks" that need to be ripped - I can't remember why they weren't already included.

Can anyone help, please?
Post Posted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:01 am
hey, thanks for ripping this. this is easily the best game gear soundtrack I've encountered so far. it's a shame how the game seems to be shrouded in obscurity.

I've ripped it to mp3 for my blog, here, as well as uploaded all the tracks to youtube.
(/necro-post)
Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:53 pm
Considering all the information available here, it's baffling why this pack wasn't ripped earlier. I suspect the first 7 tracks were redone from scratch sometime after the last post here, but the 7 short tracks were still skipped over. Not sure why. Everything you need to log is literally on this page.

Anyway, to be safe, I relogged everything, even though I originally only intended to add the missing tracks.

Nearly 10 years later, it's complete.

I looked at the soundtrack and the fanfares don't seem to be present there. I have no idea about their in game use, I have no idea how to play this game.

Anyway. Now at 1.10...for the third time?

Enjoy.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!