SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SMS Power Music Competition 2006

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
SMS Power Music Competition 2006
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:46 am
Hello,

Now that 2006 is finally here I think that it would be a good idea to hold a second music competition.

I thought last years competition was quite successful but I would like to see more entries in the competition this year.

Incase you have forgotten the links below show references to discussion on last years competition.

Competition Page: http://www.smspower.org/music/competition/
Discussion Topic: http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=30533
Concept Topic (This kicked the competition off last year): http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6434

I was just wondering if I could get input from others as to weather it would be a good idea to run another competition this year.

Last year I had alot of fun making my two entries for the competition.

Thanks,

Jacko

(PS I am tired from too much celebrating, there may be spelling mistakes)
Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:39 pm
I'll be in it. "Let's get it on" {^_^}
Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:25 pm
I updated the logo and touched up the webpage text:
http://www.update.uu.se/~bjarni/smspower_compo/index.html

I look forward to another competition and have alerted my friends. There may be something cooking...

Bjarni
Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:53 pm
That is what I like to see guys.

All we need to do now is alert Bock and/or Maxim and then devise some dates for the competition then we can get working on our masterpieces.

Thaks Guys,

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:02 pm
Maybe we can set it up to end on March 27 ?
Is that too far away for you guys?
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:42 am
Last year we did something like a month of submissions and then we had to move the deadline one week at the end if I'm not completely mistaken. I think it would be nice to announce the winner on the 27th, as I put in the text, so we should officially open the competition maybe about a month before that, and take submissions until the 21st or so. People can start working now if they want of course, but we start the publicity in mid february so it doesn't seem like a long time to go. I hope we get some interest and have a few more submissions this year. Any way we could advertise?

Bjarni
Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:50 am
Yes I think advertising is an important factor into making a competition successful. What some of us should do is come up with some banner type advertisements that could possible be placed on the main page of SMSPower to "sell" the competition.

I may be able to start working on something although my PC graphic design skills are somewhat lacking.

Thanks,

Jacko
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:15 am
OK, how about this for a banner?
http://www.update.uu.se/~bjarni/smspower_compo/banner.html

The transparency is kind of iffy, but works with the blue background of this site.

Now, you should know that I played through Sonic with a keyboard to dump the ending screen - twice even, as I accidentally reset the emulator at act 1 of Sky Base zone the first time...

Bjarni
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:14 am
*cough*
Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:54 am
Bjarni wrote
OK, how about this for a banner?
http://www.update.uu.se/~bjarni/smspower_compo/banner.html

Bjarni I like your banner very much. I was thinking though maybe you could add some musical notes or something to the animation if that is not too hard.

I have got Sibelius so I could open up some SMS MIDI files and get some scrren shots in which you could use as a guide.

and Bjarni, please take not of Maxims *cough* link after seeing it I feel sorry for you.

Welldone on the banner

Jacko
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:32 am
Maxim wrote
*cough*

Oh for the, why couldn't Google think of giving me that? Anyway, I couldn't have done the finger wagging with those pictures you'll notice. I think there are three mouths, two sets of eyes and three hand gestures in that screen, and I captured all three hand gestures and all three mouths but only one of the eye shapes before he stopped singing, and I used all mouths and the two finger wagging hands. Don't feel sorry for me though Jacko - in a world of starving kids, war, and american gun laws, I can't feel too bad about having to play Sonic the Hedgehog. And I know the game by heart. It took an hour or so to finish I think, and I got all the emeralds.

Where were you thinking the notes should go? I'll see if I can fit some in there. It's not entirely trivial to edit the banner, but almost.

Bjarni
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 am
OK then... *cough cough* :)

When I'm making an animated GIF, I make sure to just save every frame out separately so they can all be easily edited in a proper image editor. In a case like this, I'd also start off with a layered image so it would just be a matter of toggling the right layers each time to get the different frames. You probably did that already, though.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:34 am
Maxim wrote

Maxim at times you are just plain and pure evil.

But what is the fun in playing a game for like 10 seconds to finish it, if you keep at it you may make Bjarni angry now we don't want that do we. Besides isnt this getting a little off topic??
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:08 am
Well, yeah. I have only used these savestates to get to the ending for a game that I hadn't played through before one time - and that was to grab the credits for Alf, so it should be considered entirely sensible. Everyone should play through Sonic 1 regularly and know exactly where all the emeralds are, but sometimes you just want to grab an image and playing Sonic for an hour or two is not really helpful in the banner-creating process, even if it is fun.

Plain and pure evil? Sounds about right :D
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 pm
Maxim wrote

Frickin... Oh well, if I'm not mistaken Meka was one of the emulators I tried before I found one that worked for me. Anyway, as stated this is getting OT now.

When I'm making an animated GIF, I make sure to just save every frame out separately so they can all be easily edited in a proper image editor. In a case like this, I'd also start off with a layered image so it would just be a matter of toggling the right layers each time to get the different frames. You probably did that already, though.

I did, and editing the individual frames is not the problem, but rather getting the antialiasing on the text good with a 1-bit alpha channel. Not really difficult, but annoying, and the result will not work on a background of another colour.

Is there a competition in the works? Will there be a website? Have we set the dates?

Bjarni
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:09 pm
I don't see the benefit of having the image transparent - it'll look awful on any background that isn't SMS Power Blue anyway. You may as well make it solid blue, and maybe add a frame to ease the transition when it's on other backrounds.

It seems we're having a competition, March 21 seems as good a date as any - although we might want to delay an official announcement to avoid making it seem too far away - and the website will almost certainly be the same as last time.

Now we just need another Terebi Oekaki contest...
Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:39 pm
Maxim wrote
I don't see the benefit of having the image transparent - it'll look awful on any background that isn't SMS Power Blue anyway. You may as well make it solid blue, and maybe add a frame to ease the transition when it's on other backrounds.

I would, but I've often found that even the most multicolourific of browsers fail to match the colours. If you like, I can redo it with a solid background with a frame around it; that would take almost no effort. Maybe the colour problem is going away in these modern times.

It seems we're having a competition, March 21 seems as good a date as any - although we might want to delay an official announcement to avoid making it seem too far away - and the website will almost certainly be the same as last time.

Fantastic. Very good, etc.

Bjarni
Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:01 am
OK so its set in concrete, there is a competition, I better get to work then.

Have you got anymore evil moves Maxim (e.g. some terrible Psycho Fox thing)
Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
yep, better get to work!
New banner
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:26 am
Well, as I stated in another thread it's time to contribute to the community.

Seeing the need of a banner for the competition, I had a concept in mind that FLASH helped me implement.

Here it goes:
http://www.impulseinformatica.com.br/vgm/vgm.html

It's in standard size, 468x60, with the optional gif header (cause the concept is big =) )

Bock, Maxim, everyone: I would really appreciate your comments on the subject.

Also about the competition, how about discussing the prize ?
That will sell it to pretenders...
I suggest a GG RW card so we can load games from the PC and play SMS/GG ROMs on the GG. Is there such a thing ?? (* dreaming *)

I would prefer that rather than cartridges... (I don''t even own a SMS anymore)

See ya,
Nilo

Ps: Can u guess the game of the music presented in the score ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:11 am
The banner's cool, I have no idea what 5 noted they are though :) but I'm not sure how useful it is, we aren't going to be paying to have the banner shown all over the internet.

Similarly, we are also unlikely to have much in the way of prizes - last year's prize announcements were (I hope) jokes. We're all too poor :) and $75 for a GG-PRO is quite a lot. The only real prize is global internet fame and the satisfaction of defeating all other competitors.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:03 pm
The banner is great, thanks!
Maxim, I guess we can have it put on the competition page, and interested website referring to the competition can use it at their wish.

I'm not against prizes of some sort, but it's a matter of fund and I would not like competition to be "too" prize driven. Maybe would be a good idea to setup some kind of collective funds for prizes?
Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:44 pm
Bock wrote
The banner is great, thanks!

Glad I could help :-)

Bock wrote

I'm not against prizes of some sort, but it's a matter of fund and I would not like competition to be "too" prize driven. Maybe would be a good idea to setup some kind of collective funds for prizes?

It's a great idea Bock, US$ 5,00 from many generous registered users.
I would contribute for sure. How about PayPal ?

And, man....

This is way too cool !
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:02 am
Nilo, I missed your banner but that is awesome.

The 5 notes are well in E major (key) but have no idea what game its from. It is just an E major chord plus an 8th/1st.

Can I use the banner on my webpage?

Thanks
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:55 am
Jacko wrote
Nilo, I missed your banner but that is awesome.

The 5 notes are well in E major (key) but have no idea what game its from. It is just an E major chord plus an 8th/1st.

Can I use the banner on my webpage?

Thanks

Tip: It's the opening theme of one of the first chars in the line.
And go ahead man, the banner's there for use. Only objection is I think the competition page should be touched before anyone starts announcing.

Nilo

Ps.: Big thanks to fx^, Xor, Johnnyz, DukeNukem, Martin Skog, ZiosPriest, Maxim, Ozy and Cait Sith 2 for providing me high quality background music for my work.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:51 am
Niloctronic wrote

Now I recognise it, its Alex The Kidd, there is an error. You have a top E in the space on the treble clef, that note should not be there.

Also the reason why I did not recognise it at first it because I play the tune in D Major which would make the first chord D F# A whereas you have placed it in E Major which makes the fist chord E G# B.

The second chord is then F Minor which is F Ab C

And I hae just confirmed that your key is incorrect. I have run the tune through Martin Konrads PSG tracker and the first line of the melody is D D F# A, E E Gb B etc

So you may want to fix this error

Thanks

Jacko
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:44 pm
Jacko wrote
Niloctronic wrote

Now I recognise it, its Alex The Kidd, there is an error. You have a top E in the space on the treble clef, that note should not be there.

Also the reason why I did not recognise it at first it because I play the tune in D Major which would make the first chord D F# A whereas you have placed it in E Major which makes the fist chord E G# B.

The second chord is then F Minor which is F Ab C

And I hae just confirmed that your key is incorrect. I have run the tune through Martin Konrads PSG tracker and the first line of the melody is D D F# A, E E Gb B etc

So you may want to fix this error

Thanks

Jacko

Dear Jacko,

Ever heard of transposition ??
The E major key was the key in which most of the opa-opa's would be linked to ONLY ONE thread or sheet line. That's why I've chosen it.

And the top E is intentional, I wanted to put an extra opa at the top of the sheet to balance the load of the sheet removal between opa's (everyone working only in the bottom was odd).

So every detail is there for a reason, and therefore you can call it Variation on an Alex Kidd theme if you will...
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:30 pm
Niloctronic wrote
Dear Jacko,

Ever heard of transposition ??
The E major key was the key in which most of the opa-opa's would be linked to ONLY ONE thread or sheet line. That's why I've chosen it.

Sorry I did not mean to offend you in any way. I apollogise, its just that I am so heavily into jazz and all the music at the moment that its all I think about. I see your reasoning behind why you have transposed it. I really want to record my sax playing for my competition song but it won't be possible as I have no recording gear at all. I believe that using organic sounds makes the music come 'alive' in a sense and that is what makes music sound better.

And this year I will be studying jazz at university so if anyone needs help with any jazz music styles or anything musically technical for the competition just ask.

If you want a cool jazz tune why not use the 14736251 jazz chord progression in martin konrads PSG tracker and make a cool jazz tune for the SMS or something.

Try variations on a piano or a multiphonic instrument and see what you can come up with.

Just some tips for everyone

Jacko
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:42 pm
Buy or borrow a cheap PC mic, it'll do well enough to at least hear you playing. Price about £2 (AU$5) from cheapo sources.
Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:46 pm
Ok dude, no problem.
Try Adobe Audition for recording, they bought Cool Edit Pro and now the enhanced software has 128 channels, weird effects and stuff.
Found it via edonkey.
Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:12 am
Maxim wrote
Buy or borrow a cheap PC mic, it'll do well enough to at least hear you playing. Price about £2 (AU$5) from cheapo sources.

The issue is not getting a cheapo mic its that I don't have a mixing desk. My media teacher at my old school can lend me some nice mics but I need a mixing desk in which I can interface with the PC.

With a mixing desk I will get more precise levels with the mic and I can then use better quality mics. I have a small condencer PC mic that should do the job.

Anyways back to sorting UNI cources (what a mess)
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:54 pm
Jacko wrote

The issue is not getting a cheapo mic its that I don't have a mixing desk.

Have you got Adobe Audition ??
I'm recording in it now and it's totally awesome. Give it a try !
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:05 pm
Personally, I'm still using Cool Edit 2000... I'm wary of the Adobe-isation effect on it. I couldn't care less about multi-track editing, I just want to do useful stuff with WAVs.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:58 am
Yes Maxim, I can get Cool Edit and I also have Reason which is what I will master the song in.

Hint my song is from a game and is not an original compo
Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:08 am
Sorry to bump the topic folks but it is now the 2nd of Feburary so all the appropriate competition pages need updating from last year.

We need to discuss as to weather we need to change any of the rules. I have had an epiphany and my song might actually be moving somewhere, I plan to write some music up and start recording it.

Anyways I am getting excited over this competition I really want to see this happen.
  • Site Admin
SMS Power Music Competition 2006
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:48 pm
Guys. Until we can afford to setup a proper page, to let you know, there will be a competition, deadline being March 27th 2006. Rules should be same as last year. Go on!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:52 pm
Thanks Bock, your help has been greatly appreciated, for the meantime shall we submit the songs via E-Mail to someone or will you have a page up say a week before March 27th (there is no rush, still more than a month to go)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:47 am
We'll have a page up.
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:23 pm
Bock wrote
We'll have a page up.

Hey Bock, what about the PayPal fund idea ?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:52 pm
Niloctronic wrote
Bock wrote
We'll have a page up.

Hey Bock, what about the PayPal fund idea ?

Does anybody else would ok donating money to cover a prize fund?
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:29 pm
I for one am not a big fan of PayPal, I have never used it and I am also not a great believer of transfering any money over the net, its not that I don't want to its that I just don't trust it. I don't think its something I will ever be a great believer in, plus over the years I have heard a few dodge stories about PayPal through friends and stuff
Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:49 pm
Jacko wrote
I for one am not a big fan of PayPal, I have never used it and I am also not a great believer of transfering any money over the net, its not that I don't want to its that I just don't trust it. I don't think its something I will ever be a great believer in, plus over the years I have heard a few dodge stories about PayPal through friends and stuff

Well... I donated to www.deliciousagony.com for 6 months (PP) billed in my credit card with no problem...
As a matter of fact, I NEVER had any problem with CC over the internet neither any of my friends.
Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:42 am
Well,

It is unfortunate to say but I have just started a music performance course and my practice schedule is going to leave me no time to finish the song to a good level. I have a song, (short) that I made in PSG tracker about a month ago, woul I be able to enter this into the competition, if people would like to object then do so.

I just kind of figured I will problably do 8 hours of saxophone practice tomorrow because at the moment uni is kind of more important then well I guess SMS free time.

Thanks for understanding my concerns

Jacko
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:25 am
Might as well get this started sometime. Goody....
Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:08 am
Just understand that the competition closes 3 weeks from tomorrow (2nd March) so you will have to be quick to get an entry completed on time. Trust me it will require more work than you think.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:47 am
Great, now what formats can I send my entry in under?
Also, does anyone have a wave file with white noise on it? Because there's a piece I just whipped up today and it's in MT2 (MadTracker 2) format. I can convert it to XM format though. The problem is, I don't have a white noise sound and so I'm just using drum sounds for now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:55 am
You can submit in the original format, and also rendered to MP3 or OGG so people have a high chance to be able to play it. If you can losslessly convert to a more common MOD format (like XM) then do that too.

For replacing the drums, I suggest you listen to some VGM files and turn off the melody channels - some games (eg. The Flash) use a tone channel to "assist" the noise channel to make drums, most games just use the noise channel. When you find one you like, you can rip it to WAV and do as you wish.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:47 am
Soo, can I make a metal version of a Sega Master System game tune? :P.....
been wanting to do that a long time :D.
and would be cool to at least enter the music comp. (was gonna try and enter the coding comp. but everything went wrong and my "cute" little game ran away....)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:09 am
That would be fine.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:11 pm
Peder Johnsen wrote
(was gonna try and enter the coding comp. but everything went wrong and my "cute" little game ran away....)

The music is my competition entry, it did not run away it jumped away. Other than that I could play you a Dexter Gordon solo in Wartemelon Man but I don't think it will give this competition any justice.

Its the fact that I need to buy a Clarinet and a Flute before I buy any decent recording gear for home.

So my entry is real simple but its all I could get done with 2 jobs, hours of practice and uni study
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!