Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM pack] Streets Of Rage II GG (was: Streets of Rage 2 Master System VGM / MIDIs)

Reply to topic
[VGM pack] Streets Of Rage II GG (was: Streets of Rage 2 Master System VGM / MIDIs)
Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:13 am
[Admin: GG pack is here:
http://www.smspower.org/Music/StreetsOfRageII-GG
SMS pack is here:
http://www.smspower.org/Music/StreetsOfRageII-SMS
]

Hey

Firstly let me assure you this is my one and only request ever, so I hope you guys don't mind me asking.

Please can anyone rip VGM for Streets Of Rage 2 on Master System?

Also does anyone know of any MIDIs of Streets Of Rage 2 for Master System

I am fairly new to emulation but the SMS was actually my first ever console, so I am enjoying playing my old favorites again. I have searched for SMS SOR2 VGMs but all I find is Genesis/Megadrive Music (which just isn't the same!)

I hope someone here can help me, thanks in advance.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:25 am
http://www.smspower.org/music/vgm/unsorted/Grass%20Eatin'%20Me/New/Streets_of_Rage_II/

There are some here, but they have not yet been checked to see if they are correct. A quick looks finds that they aren't noticeably wrong so I will try to check them thoroughly and release them officially ASAP.
I can help if you want
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:03 am
Hi Assassin, Maxim,

I can help with checking the VGM's to take it off your back if you want.

Cheers,

Jacko
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:38 am
Thanks for the replies. Maxim, those are from the Game Gear version. They seem very similar but they are noticeably different. I can't comment on their accuracy having never played the GG version.

Slightly OT, but I'm in the process of gathering a few ROMs from the net and trying emulators and such and one thing I have found with ESMS and MEKA is that ESMS seems to be glitchy and jumpy while MEKA is smooth all the way. However, I am finding with MEKA it seems like the games run approximately 10% faster than I am used to, ESMS seems to be the correct speed.

I first noticed this while playing Streets Of Rage 2 on MEKA, thinking how fast the music was.

Can anyone offer any thought on this? Is it to do with NTSC/PAL?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:48 am
TheAssassin wrote
I first noticed this while playing Streets Of Rage 2 on MEKA, thinking how fast the music was.
Can anyone offer any thought on this? Is it to do with NTSC/PAL?

Yes. Assuming you live in Europe (that's were Streets of Rage 2 for SMS was mainly released, mind you) you're been used to play in PAL/SECAM 50 Hz mode.

In MEKA, press F3/F4 to adjust speed. 60 hz by default, F3 will get you to 50 hz.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:54 am
The same applies to the VGMs - they are ripped from the SMS but are played back at a 60Hz system rate. In the plugin preferences there is an option to play back at 50Hz which will make it sound as you remember. The Game Gear runs at 60Hz even in Europe so that's why it sounds like GG music to you.

It is worth considering that the Japanese composers (Yuzo Koshiro in this case) designed the music using Japanese systems which run at 60Hz so that's the speed the music is "designed" for.
  • Site Admin
Streets of Rage II VGM pack released
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:06 pm
Streets_of_Rage_II.zip

I checked over the pack yesterday, tied myself up with in_vgm updates until now and finally got it released. Some tag cleanups and additions were needed, but the music seems to be trimmed well.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:36 pm
Cool thanks guys, and the MEKA configuration worked great too thanks.

I also found a nifty little program over at zophars domain (www.zophar.net) called VGM2MID that easily converts VGMs to MIDI files, not perfect, but its a lot better than nothing!

May I ask what is that you are using to play VGMs Maxim?

I have been just playing them on ESMS (the emulator) is there a better way? Like can you play them on Windows Media Player or something?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:40 pm
TheAssassin wrote

I have been just playing them on ESMS (the emulator) is there a better way? Like can you play them on Windows Media Player or something?

Sure. Maxim wrote an excellent plugin for WinAMP. Click on the "MUSIC" link on the top right and go to "VGM Software & Instruction" to download it.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:56 pm
Bock wrote
TheAssassin wrote

Sure. Maxim wrote an excellent plugin for WinAMP. Click on the "MUSIC" link on the top right and go to "VGM Software & Instruction" to download it.

Thanks, I just got WinAmp, although my computer has suspiciously filled up with 20 spyware :(. I'm sure they must have come with WinAmp, which kinda sucks. I'm hoping my 4 Anti-Spyware programs can catch it all.

Thanks for everone's help.
Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:59 am
SMS version of streets of rage is up, so the old GG pack and files' names had to be renamed. The page is the same.

http://www.smspower.org/Music/StreetsOfRageII-GG
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!