Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - AntiISDA Warrior ported to the Master System.

Reply to topic
Ventzislav Tzvetkov
AntiISDA Warrior ported to the Master System.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:25 am

Hello,
I am proud to announce that I ported my last year minigame AntiISDA Warrior to the Sega Master System. I am not that experienced with the SMS coding and the z80 coding in general, but I hope it reached decent quality (Thanks to MOD2PSG), and it's not 1K anymore. Will try to do something more serious in the future.
Regards.

Ventzislav Tzvetkov
Post Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:32 am
Ooops, forgot to mention where to get it from:
It's available from my website:
http://drhirudo.foronlinegames.com

cya

Martin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:58 am
> Ooops, forgot to mention where to get it from:
> It's available from my website:
> http://drhirudo.foronlinegames.com

Nice :)

It doesn't run correctly on eSMS or MEKA. I've tested it with AmiMasterGear and it probably ran correctly, but I'm not sure because it was very abstract :D

About the music, I recommend you use Mod2PSG2 next time. Just eMail me if you want to have it.

Ventzislav Tzvetkov
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:44 pm
> > Ooops, forgot to mention where to get it from:
> > It's available from my website:
> > http://drhirudo.foronlinegames.com

> Nice :)

> It doesn't run correctly on eSMS or MEKA. I've tested it with AmiMasterGear and it probably ran correctly, but I'm not sure because it was very abstract :D

> About the music, I recommend you use Mod2PSG2 next time. Just eMail me if you want to have it.

It was developed on Amiga and tested on AmiMasterGear only, so I don't know how it will perform on the real hardware or on PC emulators (I don't have PC). Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't knew about Mod2PSG2 exsistance. Will it work on DOS? Because I used Mod2PSG under PC-Task (with DOS 6.0 hardfile) on Amiga. And the emulated Pentium ~5Mhz performed well with it :)
If Mod2PSG2 is written in C I can easily port it and use it for the MazezaM and WallDefence ports, which I am planning.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:28 pm
> > About the music, I recommend you use Mod2PSG2 next time. Just eMail me if you want to have it.

> It was developed on Amiga and tested on AmiMasterGear only, so I don't know how it will perform on the real hardware or on PC emulators (I don't have PC). Thanks for the feedback.

I was about to report that it didn't work well with MEKA and eSMS, but wanted to test on a real, PAL SMS 1. The bug is here as well. The game goes a bit weird once you fire the first time, the missile sprite disappear and the mapping gets a little damaged. I don't exactly know what's going on.

MasterGear certainly isn't perfectly accurate so there might be a minor bug you have in your program. But it is difficult to say what.

Plus, on a real system there's some palette problem (the title screen background color is sometimes flickering and taking the color you use for your text), but it doesn't happen on emulators I've tried.

I would like to help but it's difficult to say how to fix the bug. Perhaps if you release you sources it'll be easier. Or I might go and debug your code with an emulator here and try to guess what's wrong.
  • Site Admin
VDP Accesses
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:42 pm
> I would like to help but it's difficult to say how to fix the bug. Perhaps if you release you sources it'll be easier. Or I might go and debug your code with an emulator here and try to guess what's wrong.

It seems like you access the VDP in incorrect ways. Accessing the VDP for reading or writing should be done differently.

I suggest to read Charles' excellent Sega Master System VDP documentation, chapter 3.
There's some quirks to know that may not be documented in early documentations. You should not set bit 14 if you want to read from VRAM.
Martin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:05 pm
> MasterGear certainly isn't perfectly accurate so there might be a minor bug you have in your program. But it is difficult to say what.

I don't think AmiMasterGear is a port of MasterGear. Am I right? If not, I hope someone corrects me.

Martin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:20 pm

> It was developed on Amiga and tested on AmiMasterGear only, so I don't know how it will perform on the real hardware or on PC emulators (I don't have PC). Thanks for the feedback.

> I didn't knew about Mod2PSG2 exsistance.

That is because it has not been released yet. It is beta tested by a few very cool people.

>Will it work on DOS? Because I used Mod2PSG under PC-Task (with DOS 6.0 hardfile) on Amiga. And the emulated Pentium ~5Mhz performed well with it :)

LOL.

> If Mod2PSG2 is written in C I can easily port it and use it for the MazezaM and WallDefence ports, which I am planning.

It is a windoze program, written mostly in C++. I don't know how hard it would be to port it (you mean to AmigaOS?). It's interesting cause I thought about porting it to other OSes in the past, too.

Ventzislav Tzvetkov
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:09 am

> Plus, on a real system there's some palette problem (the title screen background color is sometimes flickering and taking the color you use for your text), but it doesn't happen on emulators I've tried.

> I would like to help but it's difficult to say how to fix the bug. Perhaps if you release you sources it'll be easier. Or I might go and debug your code with an emulator here and try to guess what's wrong.

The source is included in the archive but in separate drawer (src), feel free to give it a peek.

AmiMasterGear is not a port of MasterGear and is based mostly on AmiMSX (MSX emulator), and from the docs I read the MasterSystem have cripled version of the same video chip found in the MSX. I used on scanline update of the palette for achieving more colors for the text, and seems that cause problem. And I directly read from the video memory for sprite to background collision, since there is no such hardware feature, and seems that caused the problem. grr....

Ventzislav Tzvetkov
Re: VDP Accesses
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:44 am
> > I would like to help but it's difficult to say how to fix the bug. Perhaps if you release you sources it'll be easier. Or I might go and debug your code with an emulator here and try to guess what's wrong.

> It seems like you access the VDP in incorrect ways. Accessing the VDP for reading or writing should be done differently.

> I suggest to read Charles' excellent Sega Master System VDP documentation, chapter 3.
> There's some quirks to know that may not be documented in early documentations. You should not set bit 14 if you want to read from VRAM.

Just fixed that bug and it now should be at least playable on real systems and PC emulators. The bug with the palette quirks still stays, until I find a way to fix it.

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:38 am
> Just fixed that bug and it now should be at least playable on real systems and PC emulators. The bug with the palette quirks still stays, until I find a way to fix it.

It work a little better but not perfectly: the first shoot works, but starting from the second shoot, the game screw up again.

As for the sources, I truly feel stupid not noticing they were in the distribution package - sorry :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:33 pm
Heh!

It's funny. On SayaRX the screen is completely black. All VDP registers are on it's default state (also video active = 0).
Is this the same problem that you noticed on Meka, Bock?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:34 pm
Heh!

It's funny. On SayaRX the screen is completely black. All VDP registers are on it's default state (also video active = 0).
Again >> VDP Accesses (AntilSDA)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:36 pm
>It seems like you access the VDP in incorrect ways. Accessing
>the VDP for reading or writing should be done differently

Heh!

Ventzislav Tzvetkov
Post Posted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:26 am
I fixed some more bugs and now it works correctly under MEKAW 0.68.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!