Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - 20th anniversary eve: unreleased games, prototypes and rare Taiwanese games

Reply to topic
  • Site Admin
20th anniversary eve: unreleased games, prototypes and rare Taiwanese games
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 pm
Last edited by Bock on Thu May 18, 2017 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Tomorrow March 27, 2017 will mark the 20th anniversary of the site once called "SMS Camp"! The site was founded with the intent of dumping and releasing Master System games. We somehow kept on doing that! We also grew as a small community of hobbyist, programmers, hackers, mappers, musicians. And we miraculously kept every forums posts intact. I hereby nominate us as the most persistent and resilient website ever. Thank you everyone (and our partners/friends/families for coping with us nerds!).

We are running the traditional yearly coding / music competition with the flexible deadline of March 27-ish (any timezone), so you still have time to put an all-nighter and take monday off if you want to submit your entry! Sometimes after that we should start to post entries in the Competitions.

In the meanwhile, I have a handful of new ROM dumps to share.

1. We've got David Robinson's Supreme Court for the Game Gear, which is an unreleased game. It was apparently developed in 1991 by Acme Interactive Inc along with the Megadrive/Genesis version, and somehow the Game Gear version never saw the light of the day/ I've acquired two prototype copies of this a long time ago and it eluded my dodgy dumping hardware and adapters for a long time. Charles McDonald was kind enough to build a new custom adapter for me and finally today I have managed to get a reliable dump for this.

Here's the catch: those specific cartridges were demo versions hardcoded with a stream of scripted inputs data. But the game appears to be quite full featured (near completion), so someone should look into it and try to disable the demo mode. Anyone? *EDIT* See comments for the patch.

2. We've got Street Battle for the Game Gear, also unreleased. This is however none other than another one of Innovation Tech attempt to bring Korean games to the US, and the game is basically Jang Pung II with a new title. That specific build appears to be closer to the Korean Master System release, where one of the character was modified and it is also 512 KB (which mostly redundant data) unlike the more common Game Gear incarnation.

3. Brace yourself, we've got an absurdly rare Taiwanese incarnation of Hudson Soft's classic Star Soldier / Yǔzhòu zhànshì (宇宙戰士) for the SG-1000 which no-one appears to know about. This is a DahJee release on a beautiful green cartridge and it requires their custom adapter (also absurdly rare) to extend the SG-1000 II RAM so that it can run those MSX-1 hacks.

4. We've got Konami's arcade-gardening-shooting game Pippols / Shénqí huāyuán (神奇花園) for the SG-1000, also using the Jumbo/DahJee adapter and also a port from Konami's prolific era of MSX releases. As with every Taiwanese release this was pretty tough to find and it was a surprise that it even existed.

5. We've got a Super Off Road Prototype for the Game Gear, borrowed from an anonymous benefactor. The ROM image appears diff as radically different from the final retail version, and the zip file is 2 kb smaller which is a probable indicator that there's probably unfinished things in this version, but I haven't investigated it further yet.

6. Finally we've got the US version of Battletoads for the Game Gear which is pretty much an unexciting 3-byte header variation of the Japanese/European version, which for completeness I hadn't a chance to obtain until 2014 and the sort went into my unsorted stash for a long time.

That's it for today! See you tomorrow for the competition entries!

• Site Admin
Temporary Transitional Attachment Fairy
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:31 pm
This message will auto destruct itself someday.
battletoads-gg-us.zip (157.85 KB)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:29 pm
Brilliant, thanks for sharing. Street Battle has corrupted graphics on Everdrive, I guess that must be a mapper issue as it runs fine on emulators. You can see the Everdrive issue with Calindro's Everdrive emulation in Emulicious.

I couldn't get Star Soldier or Pippols to run on Meka or Emulicious. Is there an option that I'm missing in Meka for the Dahjee RAM adapter?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:13 pm
BKK wrote
I couldn't get Star Soldier or Pippols to run on Meka or Emulicious. Is there an option that I'm missing in Meka for the Dahjee RAM adapter?

Hmm not sure are you using the latest version the 0.80 branch?
You can grab latest meka.nam here and see if it fixes it?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ocornut/meka/master/meka/meka.nam
I should release newer binary builds more often I suppose.
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:34 pm
That fixed it, thanks :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:57 pm
BKK wrote
Brilliant, thanks for sharing. Street Battle has corrupted graphics on Everdrive, I guess that must be a mapper issue as it runs fine on emulators. You can see the Everdrive issue with Calindro's Everdrive emulation in Emulicious.

They should work in Emulicious now as well. :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:01 pm
Happy anniversary everybody! I think I've been around since 1999/2000 (even though my profile says otherwise).
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm
Calindro wrote
BKK wrote

Yeah, they work now. On Emulicious the Jumbo screen has a black background, where as on MEKA and on an SMS via Everdrive (you can only get as far as the Jumbo screen) it has a white background. I don't know how it displays on an actual SG-1000 + RAM Adapter though.

And happy 20th birthday to SMS Power too!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:12 pm
BKK wrote
Calindro wrote
BKK wrote

Yeah, they work now. On Emulicious the Jumbo screen has a black background, where as on MEKA and on an SMS via Everdrive (you can only get as far as the Jumbo screen) it has a white background. I don't know how it displays on an actual SG-1000 + RAM Adapter though.

And happy 20th birthday to SMS Power too!

The colors should be fixed now.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:34 am
Bock wrote

Here's the catch: those specific cartridges were demo versions hardcoded with a stream of scripted inputs data. But the game appears to be quite full featured (near completion), so someone should look into it and try to disable the demo mode. Anyone?

There you go!
All it does is disable the code that overwrites the inputs coming from the buttons' IO ports with the scripted data.
Don't blame me for oddities / missing features ;P

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:53 am
segmtfault wrote
Bock wrote

Here's the catch: those specific cartridges were demo versions hardcoded with a stream of scripted inputs data. But the game appears to be quite full featured (near completion), so someone should look into it and try to disable the demo mode. Anyone?

There you go!
All it does is disable the code that overwrites the inputs coming from the buttons' IO ports with the scripted data.
Don't blame me for oddities / missing features ;P

Fantastic! Will also post this on the game page and update the news.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 am
Pippols and Star Soldier aren't working in RetroArch Genesis Plus GX core. All other SMS/SG roms dumped here are working fine. (These two games are working fine in MAME. I don't know what's the reasons, maybe the emulator needs the checksum of Jumbo/Dahjee SG rom?)
Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:27 am
LiTaNia wrote
Pippols and Star Soldier aren't working in RetroArch Genesis Plus GX core. All other SMS/SG roms dumped here are working fine. (These two games are working fine in MAME. I don't know what's the reasons, maybe the emulator needs the checksum of Jumbo/Dahjee SG rom?)

Genesis Plus GX libretro was updated and both are playable now.
Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:50 pm
Happy birthday SMSPOWA! :)
Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:25 am
It's been 20 years already? Wow. I've been lurking for these forums for like... I dunno, a year? I had no idea that it's 20 years old! HBD :)
Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:30 am
yay!! thanks for the great update bock. this site is very special and im so happy it has stuck around all these years. i also love it that the forum isnt java heavy like so many others. this site reminds of the golden years of internet and its still kickin!! long live sms powerrr!
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!