Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Voice Pack] The Chessmaster (GG)

Reply to topic
[Voice Pack] The Chessmaster (GG)
Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:42 am
Last edited by sherpa on Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total
http://www.smspower.org/Music/Chessmaster-GG

Voices only. And an effect.

I'm not sure whether this pack fits into the whole VGM concept, but I wanted to work on it some ways back, and now I have.

There are fewer voices than expected. They all seem to load from the same bank. I wanted to make an sgc out of it, but it occurred to me this might not be possible since (besides this being a bit above my skill level) I don't believe voices/psg wave make use of update functions or let the z80 do much of anything. I'm hoping it will be possible, but even the existing Alex kidd sgc doesn't include "Find the Miracle Ball", thought it could just be that as a POC, the attempt just wasn't made.

Anyway here you go. I think theres only one sfx. Some other sounds can be accessed via what looks to be a table, but alot of the values there crash the engine, so I'm not sure they're valid.

The voice function is at 2A5A. The succeeding function seems to stop the sound. If anyone thinks they can make an sgc or offer advice, please do. This game was one of the reasons I had interest in SGC. I wanted to preserve what doesn't fit into the vgm category strictly, and I did not want this game excluded from preservation just because it doesn't have music.

A unique occasion where I had to include the general programmer as composer even though there is no music, and similar individuals are excluded from other packs. For historicity/ preservation I think this pack should be added to the site vgm area.
It might be the only game that doesn't have music but does have a good amount of voices.

Now at 1.00
Enjoy
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:53 am
One of my back burner projects is to extract the raw data from the ROM and render it to MP3 for the various speech samples out there. Some games have the audio stored in higher quality, and some may incorrectly treat the PSG volume as linear and thus a linear rendering would be more audible.

The hard part is figuring out how the data is stored, particularly when it's PWM which is generally harder to deal with them PCM.
Post Posted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:01 am
Neat. That makes me wonder. Would a converted sample from rom be smaller than a vgm? Or does it get larger once you convert it? I saw you mention in another thread that Voices/Wave data are logged into vgms directly as data. I imagine this is actually the commands sent to the chip, but in practice, how does the input size compare to the output? Similarly to converting a vgm to wave/mp3? I imagine it would be smaller if you could have it in its original low quality level, rather than 44100 stereo output. I doubt any wav is stereo in practice. I'm not familiar with how waves are actually created. furrtek released a talking psg tool some ways back. That might be worth looking in if I want to learn a bit more.

Alot of this stuff is over my head though. I'm not particularly good at looking at other people's code.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!