7 9% 9%
8 0% 0%
9 (Excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2015] Move the character! by homsar47
Post Posted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:22 am
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/MoveTheCharacter-SMS

So uh, this little demo thingy is called "Move the character!" and in it, you get to move the character (a white block). Fun, right?

The main obstacle in the game is that I made borders that you can't move past. There's no exceptions. None. Unless, of course, a few changes are done in RAM...;)

Yeah, in general this isn't too much, but I made it in about 2 hours and didn't even find out about the competition until 4 days preceding the deadline. But hey, in my opinion this can be considered quite a nice example what with simply its ability to show how sprites work. The main problem is the source's general lack of comments, but of course that can be helped eventually.

So, uh, enjoy my entry, and MOVE THE CHARACTER!
Post Posted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:04 pm
I should probably fry up a little v1.1 to fix some little "internal" quirks here and there...seems I need to handle interrupts more carefully, as some emulators can't even load the game all the way because of it.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:37 pm
Yeah! Before you know it, this has turned into Snail Maze II :) At least that is my impression. Not a platformer, but some kind of maze game with a one-tile hero being controlled in the same way as that character...
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:46 pm
homsar47 wrote
I should probably fry up a little v1.1 to fix some little "internal" quirks here and there...seems I need to handle interrupts more carefully, as some emulators can't even load the game all the way because of it.

What do you mean by handling interrupts more carefully?
Your interrupt handlers look quite legit to me.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:25 pm
XD Well I guess that's cool, but the thing is, it seems some emulators can't load the sprites at all, ex. DEGA, Emukon.
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:22 pm
UPDATE: Alright, I went ahead and tried to play around with a few things and ended up with "v1.2" due to my lack of skills with the wiki. (I've figured it out some, so don't ask, and don't question) ;)

My head's still spinning as to why some emulators just seem to ignore drawing the sprites though...any help on that?

And also another question, is it allowed to make newer releases of a comp project or does 1.0 have to be considered my entry? XD
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:48 pm
You can make newer releases. Post them here if you are unsure how to edit the wiki. Else look at the history pages of other pages to see how changes are being made.
Post Posted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:23 pm
Update: finally fixed the VDP data, most emulators should be able to properly use the display now.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!