Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Zoop

Reply to topic
[VGM Pack] Zoop
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:41 am
It's been a while since I submitted something, so I probably forgot something. If I did, my sincere apologies.

I also logged the GB version as well which can be found at vgmprips.

I got the names of the composers through the Game Boy version, which only lists the credits in the manual, along with the other ports of this game. It sounds like it was done by the same people though so I attributed the VGM files to them. There doesn't seem to be a scan of the Game Gear version's manual. Also, a couple other songs sound like something Bobby Scumaci did, but the manual only credits him for the title music, so I attributed Mark Davis for the rest of the songs. Also, Eric Swanson didn't actually compose anything, he would have arranged it for the Game Gear.

Also, this one was a bit tricky to rip. Trimming the VGMs were not a problem, but getting them to play without sound was. In the options, you can turn off the SFX and Music, but turning off the SFX disables all sound, and you can't seem to actually turn off the music, so I had to hack the game so that no tiles appear on the field. Even then, a sound effect randomly plays, but after a while, it will stop playing permanently.

Some of the VGMs sound a bit weird when they loop, but it seemed to be the same in the game, so I think the rips are good. Enjoy!

http://www.smspower.org/Music/Zoop-GG
Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm
Last edited by sherpa on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hey Doomaster1994 :) Thanks for the contribution.

Since maxim isn't currently capable of reprocessing your pack, and I know you tend to focus on other systems, I went ahead and fixed the few issues. Here they are in order

1) Your files have an extension of vgz. All files should be renamed .vgm regardless of compression.
2) Even though your files are .vgz only track 4 and 7 are actually compressed. This caused some backtracking when I was repreparing your pack.
3) Uncompressed files, which is what your pack is largely composed of, are meant to be 7zipped into a vgm7z.
4) If your files had been compressed, zip is the proper format. You should ideally submit one of each (compressed vgm>zip. uncompressed >vgm7z.
5) Since your filenames were incorrect the playlist had to be redone to point to the files with a .vgm extension.
~6) not sure how strict this part is, but the screenshot should be square. It should not be cropped. This might not technically be wrong, but just in case, I resized the canvas. There was no need to fiddle with the png in this case. I don't know if you processed it with pngout, but i did in this case according to the standard. This might not be wrong. Maybe it doesn't matter anymore, but it's still up on the guidelines, and it only took me a sec. Hope you don't mind. So this might not be wrong.

Otherwise seems fine. These are moderate issues, largely around compression and naming. Not sure what tool you used, vgmtool r5 usually compresses everything once tagged, but it renames uncompressed vgms to the proper extension. If you compress a compressed vgm, it will not be recognized. Had this issue pop up in tracks 4 and 7. Alerted me to the issue.

As stated, Maxim hasn't been able to reprocess archives lately, so you might want to pay a little more attention to the standards.

http://www.smspower.org/Music/Help-VGMPackStandards

Otherwise, I have been lurking here recently, and I don't mind redoing your future submissions if there's something off about them. Or I can happily leave it up to you so you get some practice. Submissions aren't exactly pouring in, so I don't mind either way. Of course, it would be nice not to have a mix of compressed/uncompressed files and to have the proper extension. Takes away some of the guesswork.

Take care

[Attachments removed]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:39 pm
My vgmify script clears up most of this automatically, when it doesn't delete all the files for you :) I'd like to have it update the txt too but that's pretty difficult.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!