SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [VGM Pack] Alien Syndrome

Reply to topic
[VGM Pack] Alien Syndrome
Post Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:11 pm
Last edited by sherpa on Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
I didn't play this much back in the day, but I didn't remember it being this hard. Action is relentless, so I Used a code to grant invincibility. There might be other places, but the fourth level boss (if i remember correctly) literally follows you around, but if you're still, there is no sound..great place for memory trigger work. I logged all the songs then beat the game normally. Worked on this a while back, looped one song, finally got back to it today.

A few tunes I did not come across in game. Either I didn't notice, or they are unused. The loops for this pack in many cases are not "real" loops. Track 02 seems to have at least one voice (likely the drone) doing its own thing, and the last boss theme foiled all the loop finders. A quick comparison at the selected loop point indicated differences in the lsb, msb were identical for the section checked. This might also have some rogue element. But I am assuming all the pitch shifting to be the cause. It's tempo is probably not in phase with the other voices. I've learned from experience not to try to calculate the true loop point when we have different voices in different tempos (not necessarily the case here-but things don't line up as neatly as other songs do)

Also artificially extended the drone, to 8 beats...otherwise it would be over in 2. It keeps going longer than that.

The ending was recoded as a trigger, and actual endgame sound. I prefer the nostalgic experience, so the actual in game version was retained in favor of the other. (only mild differences in the fadeout)

http://www.smspower.org/Music/AlienSyndrome-SMS-PSG
Post Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:12 pm
This track is starting to drag near the bottom, so new post.

Tagged with extras 1.00

[Attachments removed]
PSG Version 1.01 and FM Version 1.00
Post Posted: Sun May 21, 2023 6:03 pm
I've done up the FM version of the soundtrack, and while I was at it cleaned up the PSG version a bit- identifying the songs from the Arcade version, one of the unknown songs (which plays when all hostages are collected), and stripped the YM2413 from the VGMs.

https://www.smspower.org/Music/AlienSyndrome-SMS-FM
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!