Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Coding competition 2014] Colossal Cave Adventure SAM Edition by haroldoop

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (poor) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 6% 6%
5 13% 13%
6 26% 26%
7 46% 46%
8 6% 6%
9 (excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2014] Colossal Cave Adventure SAM Edition by haroldoop
Post Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/ColossalCaveAdventureSAMEdition-SMS

This is my entry for the context: it's called Colossal Cave Adventure SAM Edition. As the name says, it's basically an adaptation of the classic Colossal Cave Adventure for Twee2SAM. So far, the base layout of the cave is already there; it was semi-automatically converted from the source code of the Inform version (http://ifarchive.org/indexes/if-archiveXgamesXsourceXinform.html) and then manually cleaned up. Currently, almost all of the obstacles and puzzles are missing; I intend to add them later. Just for kicks, I have also added a few images, hand sketched by someone with zero artistic talent (me) :P
Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 am
After you get into the cave, the black tiles in the text box become... not black. I think you're accidentally over-writing tile data instead of background data later in the game.

Still, I like old-school text adventure games. I could have played this even without the pictures. :)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:09 am
I'm not a too big fan of such games, but the way you made it happen deserves looots of bonus points !
Post Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:21 pm
Lovely.

I did experience the same bug as dragonfeet, but apart from that, it's very nice. I even think that the art matches the old school gameplay quite nicely.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:38 am
Thanks, everyone, for the comments!

Even though it is currently unfinished, the game was pretty fun to program. The pictures also turned out slightly 'less bad' than I expected; I think they gave the game an unique art style. ;)

Anyway, I've also noticed the bug where the screen gets randomly corrupted; I gotta take a look at this; maybe the maximum tile count is being exceeded somewhere, or maybe it could be a more insidious bug. There's also a bug where the game engine seems to be adding an extra invisible menu option after the last one, that's also glitching out the game sometimes; this one may be due to incorrect handling of trailing line breaks.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 am
This is cool! Thanks for making this.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:45 pm
I've tried both versions of this game and each time the text is all garbled. I'm playing it through a Master Everdrive, anybody else had similar problems?!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:04 pm
Phil wrote
I've tried both versions of this game and each time the text is all garbled. I'm playing it through a Master Everdrive, anybody else had similar problems?!

Mmm... I've never tested it on real hardware, so it doesn't come as a complete surprise... maybe it could be a VDP write timing issue?
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!