Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - New homebrew game - Bread and Butter!

Reply to topic
New homebrew game - Bread and Butter!
Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:46 am
I wrote a home brew game for the sega master system - Bread and Butter!

Bread is a girl who dreams of becoming the world's greatest baker. Butter is just a fat boy who loves to eat. Together, they search the most dangerous places in the world to find the super-sized ingredients to bake the "Bread of Legend". The game is an arcade style action game. I've attached it to the post so you can check it out. Enjoy!

The .zip file contains the .sms file (game) and README.TXT.
bread_and_butter_v1.zip (53.12 KB)
ROM for bread and butter game.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:02 am
It's a cute game; good luck with your development! Things I would improve are to make the character move 1.5 or 2x faster, and the enemies as well. Also, the character's jump arc is just a triangle. You should make it arc-like for more familiarity with gamers. You may not even need the "hold down jump for a higher jump" mechanic. A fixed jumping height and duration may be exactly what oldskool arcade games have in common and which add to the challenge of this genre of games.
Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:59 pm
The game's palette, sound effects and jump physics remind me of some early IBM PC games; basically, this adds a nice nostalgic retro charm to the game.

Its a very nice game, good job!
Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:55 pm
I really like it, great work! Congrats!
Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:16 pm
As said above its very reminiscent of early EGA PC games, with its limited palette, and the bleepy sounds that a PC without a sound card and just an internal speaker would make. Was this an intentional decision? I would be tempted to make more use of the SMS colour palette, as the first two levels (thats as far as my gaming skills got me) only use 11 colours for both sprites and tiles. Not that there is really a need though, looking like an early Public Domain type computer game gives it a charm of its own for a SMS game.

Is there a level select cheat for poor players like me? I'd like to see what the rest of the game is like. I'm impressed with how different the second level is to the first, so am intrigued what else you have created. If there isn't a cheat then perhaps some screenshots to show off more of the game?

Its very cool to see a two player homebrew game, I've not had a chance to try it with someone else yet though. Its nice to see something so fully fleshed out, as most homebrew efforts never seem to get past the early demo stage. Do you plan to keep working on it?
Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:10 pm
playgeneration wrote
As said above its very reminiscent of early EGA PC games, with its limited palette, and the bleepy sounds that a PC without a sound card and just an internal speaker would make. Was this an intentional decision? I would be tempted to make more use of the SMS colour palette, as the first two levels (thats as far as my gaming skills got me) only use 11 colours for both sprites and tiles. Not that there is really a need though, looking like an early Public Domain type computer game gives it a charm of its own for a SMS game.

Is there a level select cheat for poor players like me? I'd like to see what the rest of the game is like. I'm impressed with how different the second level is to the first, so am intrigued what else you have created. If there isn't a cheat then perhaps some screenshots to show off more of the game?

Its very cool to see a two player homebrew game, I've not had a chance to try it with someone else yet though. Its nice to see something so fully fleshed out, as most homebrew efforts never seem to get past the early demo stage. Do you plan to keep working on it?

My skills are somewhat limited. I'm an excellent programmer but I'm not an artist and I'm not a musician. This isn't my first game for an old-school console, but it is my first game for the SMS. I kinda just took the default color palette from a 16 color bitmap file and just went with it. I'll get more capable and push boundaries a bit more as I write new programs.

Everyone, Thanks for the compliments! Yeah, now that you mention it it does look like an old EGA PC game... I used to love those things though.

I may speed the game up, as suggested above, but I don't plan to do anything else with it. Once I finish and release a file, I tend to start on an completely new project. It's just a personality quirk of mine or something.

Want cheats? Read closely!

If you're playing with the MEKA emulator there are two cheats that you can user with the memory editor:

$C014 = number of lives for player 1. Max is 9.
$C01D = number of lives for player 2. Max is 9.
$C015 = number of items collected per stage. Set this to 09. When this value equals 09, the stage ends and "GOAL!" appears on the screen. Use this to advance stages.

Be careful as changing other values may cause the game to malfunction.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 am
When doing graphics I like to work with this image of the complete 64 colour palette open:

I didn't realize you could walk off the edge of the screen on level 2 to reach the other side, that makes getting past a couple of those pesky spiders a lot more manageable. Nor did I expect to see the levels be totally different on the second play through, I love to see variety in a game and you've definitely achieved that. If you're not keen on making much more changes to this game, then I hope you'll think about making another SMS game in the future.
palette.png (1.95 KB)
palette.png

Post Posted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:00 pm
Very nice homebrew !
i'd like to see more stuff like this ^^
Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:32 am
Tough work.

It reminds me of Bobby's going home.
Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:43 am
Thanks for the color palette picture. I'll definitely be making more homebrew master system games, but these things take quite a bit of time to develop. I think I spent 80 hours over 2 & 1/2 months coding Bread and Butter, and that doesn't count the time I spent brainstorming and planning beforehand.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:04 pm
I have now created a page for the game:
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/BreadAndButter-SMS
Post Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:09 pm
Congratulations!

Nice to see this new game (yes I'm a bit late)!
I certainly hope to see more in the future.
Game is sped up, 48kb version
Post Posted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:43 am
Hello. For those of you who requested the game be sped up, here it is.

This is a 48kb version of the game, so it only contains levels 1, 2 and 3 with a simplified title screen. This version also contains 4 "challenge" modes - handicaps to promote 2 player competition.
bread_and_butter_v1_01.zip (17.67 KB)
ROM for 48kb version of bread and butter game.

Bread and Butter 1.026 works on a console.
Post Posted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm
Hello,

So I finally get an SMS cart circuit board made and load the 48k version of the game onto chip, plug it in... and I get a blank screen. Several revisions later, I finally get the game to work bug-free on an Master System and a Genesis with the power-base converter. The working and tested revision (1.026) is attached to this message.
bread_and_butter_v1p02_6.zip (15.26 KB)
ROM for 48k version, works on an SMS and a Genesis with power base converter.

last update
Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:12 am
I've broken Bread and Butter into two 48k games.

Version 1.026 "On a Roll" contains levels 1-3 with sped up game play and challenge modes.

Version 1.032 "A Second Helping" contains levels 4-6 with sped up game play and challenge modes. These levels are much more difficult than 1-3.

Both games have been tested on real hardware (SMS and Genesis with power base converter). This is should be the last update. I'll be working on a new game after this.
Bread_and_Butter_1p026_1p032.zip (30.1 KB)
ROM for both versions of Bread and Butter

Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am
Why not merge them together to just one larger ROM?
my hw skill is not good
Post Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm
Version 1.00 has all 8 levels in a 256kb ROM.

I've never designed a sega cartridge before. So, I thought I'd start small and make a cart without the mapper, so only 48kb is available. Creating a circuit that mimics the mapper is not simple, and may be beyond my ability, as I'm primarily a programmer. I broke the game into two pieces so that it would fit on the hardware I have available to me now.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 am
Is any of the data compressed? I think you could get it all in 48KB with a little squeezing.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 am
The data is not compressed. Sorry, this my first effort on the SMS. I've learned quite a bit, so things should be much more efficient the next time around.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:00 am
dragonfeet wrote
The data is not compressed. Sorry, this my first effort on the SMS. I've learned quite a bit, so things should be much more efficient the next time around.

Yes. You came further than many other who tried.
Good luck on your next project. Remember that there probably will be another anual coding competition ending around March this year. B&B would have been a great entry for it.
Post Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:22 am
I'm pleased to see another homebrew for the Master System too. Please keep working on this underrated platform. I think you have lots of potential here. :)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:38 pm
I´ve sent you a PM mate.
Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:34 am
Hey friends,

in cooperation with Dragonfeet, I am proud to present an article about Bread and Butter!

http://www.gordmansgametreasure.com/report-bread-and-butter.htm?nocache=1379190302

Have fun by reading!
Version update
Post Posted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:22 am
The version released for online sale is 1.027. It only contains fixes for bugs found by gordman in his game report. Here's the version history:

--------------------------------------------------------
Version Differences

Version 1.00 - 256kb game, all 8 stages are included.

Version 1.01 - 48kb game, for a cartridge without mapping logic
Contains levels 1, 2 and 3 only.
Adds 4 challenge modes selectable by player 1.

Version 1.026 - Same features as version 1.01, but now it
works on real hardware.
*** TooManyGames 2013 Convention Release ***

Version 1.027 - Two bug fixes:
* In level 1, player could respawn below first
platform. That is now fixed.
* If a player gets item, item respawns where other
player is, and item count goes 8->9->10, then
the level doesn't end for another 255 item
collections. This is fixed.
*** Online Sale Release ***

Version 1.034 - 48kb game, for a cartridge without mapping logic
Contains levels 4, 5 and 6 only.
Works on real hardware. Too hard to be fun though.
Bread_and_Butter_1p027.zip (17.69 KB)
Bread and Butter 1.027

Post Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:47 am
dragonfeet wrote
I wrote a home brew game for the sega master system - Bread and Butter!

Bread is a girl who dreams of becoming the world's greatest baker. Butter is just a fat boy who loves to eat. Together, they search the most dangerous places in the world to find the super-sized ingredients to bake the "Bread of Legend". The game is an arcade style action game. I've attached it to the post so you can check it out. Enjoy!

The .zip file contains the .sms file (game) and README.TXT.

http://www.smspower.org/forums/17452-GetYourSMSHomebrewPublished
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!