9 (excellent) 0% 0%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2012] Radical Rat SMS by TmEE
Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:31 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/RadicalRatSMS-SMS

TmEE wrote
This is Radical Rat, which unfortunately is nowhere near the level of completion I intended due to Real Life (TM) getting in the way...
Right now there is nothing but some pretty graphics, coarse FM sound effect (that fails on real hardware due to ignoring YM timings), a cool options screen that shows the graphics of the controller you have attached (currently only SMS, MD3 and MD6 buttoner). Options don't make a difference yet.
Gameplay part is not worked out yet nor the cutscenes. There is only forward scrolling with realtime stage data decompression, and basic multipart sprite you can move around a bit. On real hardware you can see flickering lines on bottom of screen showing how long do some parts of code take.
There is also a PSG envelope generator but it is not in functional state anymore when I began adding FM stuff to the sound framework.
Graphics is drawn in MS-Paint and converted for use on SMS with my GFX converter and optimizer. Stages are created with my stage editor and music would be made with SMStrk which I am slowly working on. It makes sound but does not make music...
Game has a story but it is not so nice :
You and your family find something new to eat but it turns out to be poison left by a orange colored exterminator. Your family dies and you suffer brain damage but survive, only thing going through your mind is revenge, in most radical way possible. You take a gun and you blast yourself thorugh the world to find the orange exterminator and avenge your family !

RadicalRatSMS-SMS-0.1.zip (21.77 KB)
Original entry
RATSMS.zip (21.86 KB)
v0.2 update

Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:57 am
This looks VERY promising.
The options screen looks really good and it's not something you get very often on SMS.

If this is finished, i can see myself playing it a lot.
A good platformer always has a place in my gaming.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:00 pm
Side scrolling run and gun games are one area where the Master System doesn't have too many stand out games. I'd certainly like to see what you can come up with for this game in the future.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:25 pm
It eventually ends up as something like Contra is, except with different thematic and other quirks

I got plans to get the game available on cartridge in future. I would release an emulator compatible demo with some levels and a boss before that. Cart game cheats a bit and uses DMA for massive animation capabilities ^^

EDIT: attached update as christuserloeser suggested

[Admin: now in the first post and on the site]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:43 pm
I'm looking forward to the finished version. It seems to be a bit incompatible right now, SMSPlus GX doesn't like it :) But the presentation is great and I can understand about being sidetracked by the tools :)
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:26 am
It works perfectly on a real SMS1 and SMS2 without any glitches, I wonder what it might do to upset that emulator...? I mostly use Kega Fusion, Emukon and Meka for testing (and real hardware too).
I got proper hot-spot based ground detection, and I will proceed to add walls detection after displacing decompression buffer so I can no longer jump on objects that appear on far right on the left side of the screen...
Real jumping is easy stuff in my implementation, I just got to add a counter to stop giving player more acceleration and thus limiting the jump height while giving variable jump height based on how many frames was the button held ^^
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:10 pm
TmEE wrote
It works perfectly on a real SMS1 and SMS2 without any glitches

I'm sorry TmEE but I must tell you that it doesn't work very well on my PAL-SMS2 through my Everdrive : the background tiles are just garbage on my TV screen...
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:23 pm
interesting... I have no everdrive, I just use a gutted original cart... I wonder if other people have issues on everdrive aswell ?
I've not had problems on Sonic BIOS SMS2 or Alex Kidd SMS2 or v2.4 SMS1 (hang on + safari hunt)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:55 pm
Maybe padding to a 'normal' size might help?
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:29 pm
TmEE wrote
interesting... I have no everdrive, I just use a gutted original cart... I wonder if other people have issues on everdrive aswell ?

I can confirm that I have the same issue when running the game through my Everdrive.

Interestingly, I have noticed the Everdrive being odd (corruption of tiles) with another of my ROMs - one which works perfectly when burnt to an EPROM.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:33 pm
I attached a padded version of the ROM (along with some other enhancements).

Reason I don't pad is that it shaves off precious seconds when flashing the file :P
RAT.zip (21.19 KB)
version 0.3, with padding

Post Posted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 am
Nice addition. Looking forward to the releases.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!