Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Video Poker: My first SMS Project (WIP)

Reply to topic
Video Poker: My first SMS Project (WIP)
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:31 pm
Last edited by Sket on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi All

Well I thought it was about time I posted something about my first SMS project - so here goes:

I started the project about 10 days ago, and I'm quite pleased with how far I have progressed in that time considering I'm new to the SMS and still learning z80 too.

One word of warning - if the "Games" or "Bank" reaches 0 it will most likely crash :p.

Hopefully I can get some feedback at this early stage to help shape the final release.

Instructions:
-----------------
Use UP/Down to adjust the amount to bet (1 - 5) - note the payout table will change accordingly.

Press START (1) to place bet and show your cards.

At the moment an "X" is displayed over the currently selected card.

Use LEFT/RIGHT to select a card UP/DOWN to toggle "HOLD" on and off.

Once you have decided which card(s) you would like to hold - press "START" to continue and you will be dealt replacement card(s) for each one you did not hold.

At this point a number will be displayed in lower left corner 0 - 9:

0 - Lose
1 - 9 = Winner - matched the payout table 1 at the bottom going upwards ie 1 = "Pair of Jacks or Better" / 9 = "Royal Flush".

Press Button 2 to start a new hand.

Planned Todo list:

1) Replace "X" over current selected card to something nice
2) Replace "0 - 9" with meaningful text prompts
3) Implement Game over routines if Bank or Games reaches 0
4) General Graphics overhaul - god forbid the cards "JQK" /cry - I suck a drawing.
5) Animated dealing of cards from deck to the hand.
6) Sound FX :o
7) Nice splash screen instead of the boring text.
8) Splash screen music - heeeeeeelp - lol
9) Games mode(s) likely based on 25 / 50 / 75 games - or something like that.
10) High score table(s) for each mode with name entry and save to cart backup ram.

Any feedback/input/bug reports are always appreciated.

Well that's all for now folks.

Regards

Richard
vpoker-01.png (3.26 KB)
Video Poker Screenshot 1
vpoker-01.png
vpoker-02.png (3.65 KB)
Video Poker Screenshot 2
vpoker-02.png
vpoker.zip (3.7 KB)
Video Poker SMS ROM Image (WIP)

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 pm
Great work for starting only ten days ago!

I think first of all you'd want to make the input really reactive so that pressing a button update the display fast. Right now pressing the button to draw cards seems sluggish which makes a bit frustrating. I believe only that fix would make a lot of different in improving the feel of the game. :)

PS: I got a straight and didn't get counted :/
vpoker-01.png (6.23 KB)
vpoker-01.png

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:35 pm
Bock wrote
Great work for starting only ten days ago!

I think first of all you'd want to make the input really reactive so that pressing a button update the display fast. Right now pressing the button to draw cards seems sluggish which makes a bit frustrating. I believe only that fix would make a lot of different in improving the feel of the game. :)

PS: I got a straight and didn't get counted :/

Thanks for the reply Bock.

I think I have sorted out the bug you got with the straight (low straight would of got picked up - my fault trying to kill two birds with one stone - lol) - testing it now - will post an update and re-attach the new build shortly.

**Update** I have uploaded the new ROM with the straight bug fix. **

Regards

Richard
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:38 am
Very nice project!
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:46 am
Two new homebrew games in a week, awesome! Keep it up!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:40 am
Added to the site:

http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/VideoPoker-SMS

You're more than welcome to add to that page as you release new versions (and maybe even the source). You should see an "edit" link at the top-right.

Using U/D for toggling stuff when L/R perform selection is a bit annoying on a real system, where it's easy to hit diagonals by accident. Better to change that toggling to a button?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:50 am
Maxim wrote
Added to the site:

http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/VideoPoker-SMS

You're more than welcome to add to that page as you release new versions (and maybe even the source). You should see an "edit" link at the top-right.

Using U/D for toggling stuff when L/R perform selection is a bit annoying on a real system, where it's easy to hit diagonals by accident. Better to change that toggling to a button?

Thanks for adding it Maxim - I'll post updates there as and when they are ready.

As for the control issue - with not having a real SMS to test it on, this type of issue can slip by unnoticed - so always nice to get feedback from people trying it on the real thing - I shall switch the "Toggle" over to button 2.

Regards

Richard
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm
I have uploaded new version 0.4 into the Homebrew area, and amended the notes (hope I haven't cocked anything up).

One query for you Maxim when you have a spare moment:-

I took 3 new screen shots and replaced the existing 2 with 2 of them and uploaded the 3rd one as new, but the old ones are still displayed - not sure if I did something wrong here or need to carry out an additional step to get them to display.

TBH - I was frightened to death in there editing - thought I might screw things up especially somebody else entry by accident - lol.

***Edit*** I just noticed that the screenshots have updated - don't know if you intervened at all Maxim.

Thanks

Richard/Sket
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 pm
The screenshots may not change right away if your browser cached them, hit Ctrl+refresh to be doubly sure. Change the number of screenshots in the page to get more. You can't break anything more than the game's page, and even in the worst case we can restore the page from the history. So don't worry :)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm
Maxim wrote
The screenshots may not change right away if your browser cached them, hit Ctrl+refresh to be doubly sure. Change the number of screenshots in the page to get more. You can't break anything more than the game's page, and even in the worst case we can restore the page from the history. So don't worry :)

I had a feeling it might of been something like that, also good to know that I can't break things not related to my page.

Thanks

Richard/Sket
Post Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:41 pm
I have uploaded new version 0.5 into the Homebrew area, and amended the notes.

Main update in this version is the animation of the cards being dealt from the pack - any feedback on this would be most appreciated - particularly the speed/smoothness of it along with the sequencing.

Regards

Richard
Post Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:41 pm
Version 0.6 uploaded to Homebrew section.

Updated all card graphics - particularly JQK with images.

As usual any feedback is appreciated - not had much to-date - so if you have a few spare minutes free perhaps you could download it and give it a try :)

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 am
Its good I like it :-)

One thing I did accidentally a few times was pressed Continue at the point when I should be choosing what cards to Hold.

I think the only way around that would be needing to scroll over to something before pressing 1 would continue. Perhaps Down to select Continue, then 1 to continue, as opposed to pressing 1 whenever to continue.

But that's just my experience, I might just be really bad at pressing the wrong number button, or maybe its because it's just late :-D

I like the JQK images :-)
Post Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:56 am
paul_ wrote
Its good I like it :-)

One thing I did accidentally a few times was pressed Continue at the point when I should be choosing what cards to Hold.

I think the only way around that would be needing to scroll over to something before pressing 1 would continue. Perhaps Down to select Continue, then 1 to continue, as opposed to pressing 1 whenever to continue.

But that's just my experience, I might just be really bad at pressing the wrong number button, or maybe its because it's just late :-D

I like the JQK images :-)

Hi Paul

Thanks for the feedback.

I see your point about the Hold/Continue button scenario - I have done it myself, though after a while you get into the correct routine (least I did).

I originally had the Hold toggle on up/down but again some user(s) found that they could hit diagonal by accident and toggle/move at the same time.

I guess I shall sit on this for now and see how it pans out in the long run - thanks for the suggestion.

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:57 am
Version 0.7 uploaded to Homebrew section.

Added a "High Score" to the game - only a single/no name entry job ATM (but it's a start).

Also modified the card dealing animation routine slightly.

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:26 am
Looks good! I found a few bugs though.

The victory arrows sometimes don't disappear:

The 5♣ looks like a 4 (or the 4♣ looks like 5, whatever is right):

Also: I've seen other videopokers that allow you to change the bet after the first deal (e.g. when you decide the cards to hold), but I couldn't do this in your version. Is this deliberate?

Last: too bad I'm not an artist, but I think it would be great to use Sega characters such as Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy, Sonic, Alis, ... for the J-Q-K cards (unless you want to keep this copyright-free, of course)
vpoker_000.png (2.09 KB)
vpoker_000.png
vpoker_001.png (1.96 KB)
vpoker_001.png
vpoker_002.png (1.87 KB)
vpoker_002.png
vpoker_003.png (1.86 KB)
vpoker_003.png

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:38 am
I think the current characters looks very cool already, no need to change them to Sega characters :)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am
I agree, they look cool. I was just having a nostalgia attack :)
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:04 pm
Hi Tom

Thanks for the feedback :)

1) The 5♣ looks like a 4 (or the 4♣ looks like 5, whatever is right):

Well spotted - I was supposed to go through and re-check all the card graphics after I had recently changed them - but forgot - I have amended this one and will check the others in due course.

2) The victory arrows sometimes don't disappear:

Hmm - not had this one myself - can you let me know how you where playing the game - on a real SMS or emulator (if so which emulator) - might help me get to the bottom of this one - also which version of the game 0.6/0.7?

3) Also: I've seen other videopokers that allow you to change the bet after the first deal (e.g. when you decide the cards to hold), but I couldn't do this in your version. Is this deliberate?

Yes this is deliberate - it's based on the standard arcade Video poker - you bet upfront once only - there may be other version that allow you bet a second time - but I have never played one like that.

4) Last: too bad I'm not an artist, but I think it would be great to use Sega characters such as Alex Kidd, Wonder Boy, Sonic, Alis, ... for the J-Q-K cards (unless you want to keep this copyright-free, of course)

I'm no artist either unfortunately - the JQK images are some old emote icons that I found - I had to resize / chop and change / re-colour them somewhat - so not really my own creation.

The thought of using some SEGA in-game characters to represent cards has crossed my mind too.

I'm trying to make this as much my own work as possible but in the graphics / sound fx & music departments I'm struggling - chances are if I stick to my own work the game will have no music or soundfx - due to lack of skill/experience in those areas.

I would love it to have a nice funky title screen tune - but for that to happen in the near future would involve asking a 3rd party to compose something for me.

Still I'm very pleased with what I have produced considering only getting into SMS homebrew a few weeks ago.

Thanks once again for the feedback Tom - always appreciated.

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:16 pm
2: version 0.7 in Dega 1.09
3: I see. I remember I used to play a "winpoker.exe" on my old computer at least one decade ago which allowed that, I'd check it right now but my old computer doesn't seem to want to turn on at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure about this.
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:51 pm
Tom wrote
2: version 0.7 in Dega 1.09
3: I see. I remember I used to play a "winpoker.exe" on my old computer at least one decade ago which allowed that, I'd check it right now but my old computer doesn't seem to want to turn on at the moment, so I can't be 100% sure about this.

Thanks for the Emu info.

Was Winpoker a poker game where you played against opponents? If so then yes it would let you make a bet after the discard process.

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:26 pm
Since I didn't want to give you wrong details I just spent the last hour and a half looking all over my house for a backup cd I made back in the day (since my old computer still don't feel like turning on), and fortunately I found it, so I could upload that old Winpoker to my webspace. As you can see it gives you two chances to alter your bet, so you can bet X and win Y. Now that I look at it again two decades later I am inclined to believe it was an oversight by the original programmers, something that my 6-years-old self couldn't really know :P
Post Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:29 am
Uploaded new version 0.8 to the homebrew area.

Added a better Intro screen and tweaked a few bits and pieces, though ATM the high score routine may have a bug as it doesn't appear to work when run under MEKA - though it does work under Fusion - so the jury is out on this one for now.

**Edit** --> Uploaded fixed v0.8 = High score save problem in MEKA fixed after feedback from Bock :-)

Richard / Sket
Post Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:18 pm
Has this game been tested on a real system? I see this when I try it in RetroCopy ...
vpoker-ss00.jpg (56.18 KB)
vpoker-ss00.jpg

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:45 pm
tommy1983 wrote
Has this game been tested on a real system? I see this when I try it in RetroCopy ...

I personally don't have the resources to try it on a real SMS - I used MEKA and Fusion emulators whilst developing it - works fine on both.
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:09 pm
I tried VPoker (0.8) on a SMS 2 with my Everdrive and took photographs of it on my CRT TV (the picture's shift to the left is caused by my hardware).
photo 1.jpg (93.31 KB)
(1st session)
photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg (125.93 KB)
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg (139.44 KB)
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg (125.22 KB)
photo 4.jpg
photo a.jpg (111.16 KB)
(2nd session)
photo a.jpg
photo b.jpg (117.71 KB)
photo b.jpg
photo c.jpg (119.25 KB)
photo c.jpg
photo d.jpg (111.31 KB)
photo d.jpg

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:24 pm
Actually, the left shift is expected - games shouldn't use the leftmost 8 pixels, the other 248 are roughly centred on-screen. There's also this for which I don't know the SMS equivalents.
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:02 pm
Isn't it because he's using an RGB cable? I've got the same problem on my CRT. The sync outputs from the old consoles was optimized for Composite Video, and therefore a "raw" RGB monitor displays the picture shifted. It can be fixed with a right shifting circuit. I need to buy/build one soon :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 pm
The kind of error patterns on the screen suggest that you are writing to VRAM outside of VBlank without the required delays between write. Assuming you are not CPU bound it should be a matter of adding eg: PUSH IX POP IX between writes, or else make sure to write to VRAM during VBlank.
Post Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm
Killer Bean 2 wrote
Isn't it because he's using an RGB cable? I've got the same problem on my CRT. The sync outputs from the old consoles was optimized for Composite Video, and therefore a "raw" RGB monitor displays the picture shifted. It can be fixed with a right shifting circuit. I need to buy/build one soon :)

I use what we call a "câble PERITEL" in France, which is also known as a "SCART cable".
Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:18 pm
In this case that probably means RGB :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:19 pm
No, in France it's a "cable RVB" :)
Post Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:13 pm
tommy1983 wrote

Forget this message. There is an error in RetroCopy 0.960 which affects some SMS games. When I try this game in RetroCopy 0.945 I see this.

Like you can see, there are some graphical glitches. The reason why you see three cursors above the cards is because I have moved it, but it doesn't always disappear when you move it.
vpoker-ss04.jpg (51.77 KB)
vpoker-ss04.jpg

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!