Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - OVERSEA BUYERS MUST READ MY LAST POST! (16 Oct 2008)

Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next
FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - OVERSEA BUYERS MUST READ MY LAST POST! (16 Oct 2008)
Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:22 pm
Last edited by mr0919 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:36 am; edited 128 times in total
Hi!
SEGA revealed a new SEGA AGES (for PS2) introduction page on their official website and some of webzines in Japan are currently reporting of it. The title is Fantasy Zone Complete Collection which is renamed from Fantasy Zone II DX, the tentative title once. I'm a hardcore fan of FZ series(Especially FZ2) and have waited for it for about TWO years.
I write this for some fans who haven't read this news and I'll modify and add more on this thread whenever SEGA or others update. The game will be released in 11th Sep, 2008.
Here is translated scripts of the related pages in English.

Note: I'll call the "New Fantasy Zone II for System 16" "Fantasy Zone II DX", the tentative title, on this thread. I feel better on this name. Don't confuse!

Contents

I. Main Page Translation
    II. Promotion Video for FZCC
    III. The Three Major Shooting Games Festival(3大シューティング祭り)
    IV. Video for Fantasy Zone Neo Classic
    V. Fantasy Zone II DX Introduction Page Translation
    VI. DOWNLOADABLE Fantasy Zone II DX's Trial Version for Windows
    VII. Main Developers for Fantasy Zone II DX
    VIII. Free Order Page for FZCC
    IX. My Play Videos
    X. Secrets
    XI. Translated IKa's Toons
    XII. Next SEGA AGES 2500
    XIII. Sources

I. Main Page Translation

A Dreamful Collection with the Masterpieces 6 + α of the Colorful Pop Shooting Series
    Fantasy Zone, A representative and popular shooting game! With including all the four series after the first one for Arcade and two related titles more and more we added a new remade game.

SEGA AGES 2500 Series Vol.33: Fantasy Zone Complete Collection
      Platform: Sony PlayStation 2
      Media: CD-ROM x 1
      Genre: Shooting
      Release Date: 11th Sep, 2008
      Price: 2,500 Yen (2,625 Yen with Tax)
      Playable Numbers: 1-2
      CERO: All
      Supported Controllers: Dual Shock, Dual Shock 2, SEGA Saturn Controller for PS2 and SEGA Saturn Virtual Stick for PS2
      Product Number: SLPM-62780
      ©SEGA / "FANTASY ZONE GEAR" REPROGRAMMED BY SANRITSU 1991 / "SUPER FANTASY ZONE" ©1992 SUNSOFT

What is Fantasy Zone?
    SEGA's early side scroll shooter! There was no game like FZ with pastel color graphics and novel shopping system in 80s so this game charmed many people. After the first Arcade one released many series were released for various consoles. Especially Opa-Opa, the hero in the game, was casted in an Japanese anime known as Red Photon Zillion.

A Complete Collection including All the Series
    From the first FZ for Arcade to Super FZ for Mega Drive and additional 2 related titles with converted games, over 10 games are included in this SEGA AGES 2500. All the FZ series are included in this.

Included Games on FZCC (in detail)
      1) Fantasy Zone(ファンタジーゾーン) for System 16: Total 4 Versions
      2) Fantasy Zone(ファンタジーゾーン) for SEGA Mark III: OLD and NEW2, Total 2 Versions
      3) Fantasy Zone II DX(ファンタジーゾーンII リメイク) for System 16: This one is why I'm waiting for the game!
      4) Fantasy Zone II(ファンタジーゾーンII) for SEGA Mark III
      5) Fantasy Zone II(ファンタジーゾーンII) for System E
      6) Fantasy Zone Gear(ファンタジーゾーンギア オパオパJr.の冒険) for Game Gear
      7) Super Fantasy Zone(スーパーファンタジーゾーン) for Mega Drive: The game is not released in the US. I don't know whether they omit the European Version of SFZ or not. If it omitted you should play it with Japanese opening and ending.
      8) Opa-Opa(オパオパ) for System E
      9) Opa-Opa(オパオパ) for SEGA Mark III: Japanese and Oversea(Fantasy Zone - The Maze), Total 2 Versions
      10) Galactic Protector(ギャラクティックプロテクター) for SEGA Mark III

A New Fantasy Zone II included
    "Why don't we try to recreate Fantasy Zone II for SMS on a popular arcade board in 80s?" With this concept SEGA is developing and releasing a new game for System 16 after 20 and more years passed from 1987, the original FZ2 released in. Many elements and analysisses added and still keeping 80s game's own nature. We stongly recommend it to old arcade gamers especially. In 2008, Fantasy Zone, a shooting game for Arcade, reborned with the state-of-the-art technology! 80s Gamers' dreamed the game would be re-manufactured and this one was made as an "IF" of the Game History. We sealed the game in System 16, an 80s mediocre arcade board.(The game was created in System 16 Emulation Environment and this means PS2 is just an emulator for System 16.) Let's try to enjoy a missing game.

New Functions Available
    We also added the following functions on FZCC.

[Replay Saving Function Added and Expert Players' Replays Included]
      You can preserve your game plays on every game by saving replays and we added Expert Players' replays of FZ1, a "High-Speed Shot Shooter", and FZ2, a "No Mercy Shooter", for Arcade on FZCC.

[Achieve Mode with Precious Datas]
      You can read and see precious promotion datas, packages and manuals on Gallery Mode and listen to the Game BGMs on Sound Test Mode.

[The Manual Makes You More Fun!]
      From the staffs of the first FZ we printed the articles about the famous developers for FZ series and FZ2 DX on the game manual.

Related Screenshots

II. Promotion Video for FZCC

III. The Three Major Shooting Games Festival(3大シューティング祭り)

I'd like to write this article on this thread. A festival known as the Three Major Shooting Games Festival(3大シューティング祭り) was held at Ikebukuro GiGo, Tokyo, Japan in 30th Aug, 2008. There were the trial booth for three major shooters - FZCC, Raiden IV and Thunder Force VI - also public interviews with developers for those games were on the festival's schedule.

IV. Video for Fantasy Zone Neo Classic

SEGA updated Fantasy Zone Neo Classic's info on SEGA AGES 2500 Homepage 4th Sep, 2008. The game mentioned by the developers on the Three Major Shooting Games Festival was directly arranged SUNSOFT's FZ1 for FC(Not TENGEN's for NES) by SEGA and would be a hidden game in FZCC. You can watch FZNC's video on the following link.

V. Fantasy Zone II DX Introduction Page Translation

In 2008, Fantasy Zone, a shooting game for Arcade, reborned with the state-of-the-art technology! 80s Gamers' dreamed the game would be re-manufactured and this one was made as an "IF" of the Game History. We sealed the game in System 16, an 80s mediocre arcade board.(The game was created in System 16 Emulation Environment and this means PS2 is just an emulator for System 16.) Let's try to enjoy a missing game.

● Story
    In BG1432, 10 years have elapsed after Opa-Opa restored peace to the Fantasy Zone. With leaving the whereabouts of his father after the battle and the identity of the invaders' mastermind the Fantasy Zone was recovering the prosperity. One day a new panic visited the Fantasy Zone. The mastermind sent unknown invaders and they are constructing new huge fortresses. With the unforgotable memories 10 years ago the hero, Opa-Opa promptly takes off for the Fantasy Zone where...

● Systems
    Move Opa-Opa with direction buttons and attack the enemies with two buttons. All 10 generators are destroyed in each round the boss will appear. Once the boss beated it dropped coins. You can purchase Opa-Opa's parts for your coins in shops. If Opa-Opa is dead all of the parts you bought would be gone. The number of rounds is eight and in Round 8 the mastermind is waiting for you.

● Features
    We added some new features which are not available in the original FZ to FZ2 DX for System 16

1) The Warp System
      A Warpgate appears when you destroyed certain generators. Once you enter it Opa-Opa will warp to the Dark Side. In the Dark Side enemies would be stronger than before but this means you can earn more money easily to buy items. You can return to the Bright Side through the warpgates in the Dark Side.(The warpgates will disappear when you enter.) You can find where the revealed warpgate is with the radar.

2) The Parts

ㆍThe Shot-Type Power-Up Items
        In the original system shot-type items have limited time but once Opa-Opa hitted by an enemy when the timer is available. You will lose the shot-type item instantly but will not be dead.(I think this system replaced to the power meter of FZ2 for SMS.)

ㆍThe Bomb-Type Power-Up Items
        You could only use the limited number of Power-Up Bombs which you purchased. However, in the new FZ2 you can use the bombs anytime when the BAR on the screen is fully charged by pressing the bomb button.

3) The Shops

ㆍThe Normal Shops
        Familar shops is also available in other FZ series but in FZ2 DX the items are diffrent in each round and the normal shops are only available on the Bright Side.

ㆍThe Engine Shops
        These shops will appear when you was killed by a boss so you can revenge Opa-Opa upon the boss with boosted speed.

ㆍThe Secret Shops
        These shops will appear only on specific condition. The shops sell special items which are not available in the normal shops. Find how to enter it yourself!

Related Screenshots

Old Screenshots revealed in 2007

VI. DOWNLOADABLE Fantasy Zone II DX's Trial Version for Windows

Finally SEGA released the pre-order page for FZCC on their official webstore. You know? There are two additional related items SEGA made for old gamers. They are an ORGEL and an OST.

Product List
      SEGA AGES 2500シリーズ Vol.33 Fantasy Zone Complete Collection(SEGA AGES 2500シリーズ Vol.33 ファンタジーゾーン コンプリートコレクション): The game for PS2.
      Original Orgel(オリヅナルオルゴール): 90 x 80 x 60 mm The product might be sold out due to limited quantities and its design can be changed.
      Fantasy Zone Ultra Super Big Maximum Great Strong Complete Album(ファンタジーゾーン ウルトラスーパービッグマキシムグレートストロング・コンプリートアルバム): Its POWERFUL(?) naming from 4th boss of FZ1 for SMS! Aka OST including BGMs from the following titles - Fantasy Zone, Fantasy Zone II, Fantasy Zone Gear, Super Fantasy Zone, Opa-Opa, Galactic Protector, Fantasy Zone II DX and SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.3 Fantasy Zone(The game is in SEGA Classics Collection in US and Europe).

Pre-Order Links
      DX Pak & OST includes FZCC, Orgel and OST: http://ebten.jp/sega/p/8000000000007/
      DX Pak includes FZCC and Orgel: http://ebten.jp/sega/p/8000000000008/
      OST Set includes FZCC and OST: http://ebten.jp/sega/p/8000000000009/
      Soft Only includes FZCC only: http://ebten.jp/sega/p/4974365832070/
      OST Only includes OST only: http://ebten.jp/sega/p/4571164389653/

Note 1: Due to production and quality problems it will be sent in early October. SEGA sent FZCC with a written apology. I don't know if you got the letter or not from Play-Asia. Perhaps you guys should request Play-Asia to re-send the music box(aka "orgel") and spend more fees for delivering. =( Read nazca88's post at http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11207&start=37.
    Note 2: According to Yahoo Japan's Auction the Orgel was sent recently and I got its picture. If you ordered this item on Play-Asia or some other malls try to contact with its admin to ask for re-delivering.

IX. My Play Videos

X. Secrets

How To Unlock "Fantasy Zone Neo Classic"
    Choose "FANTASY ZONE in "CLASSIC GAMES" and put the cursor on "MACHINE" on System Menu. Hold down "RIGHT BUTTON" until a beep comes. "NEO CLASSIC" will be available on the place next to "SEGA MARK III".

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "SEGA SOUND TREASUREBOX"
    Press "START BUTTON" while holding down "RIGHT BUTTON" on game title. You will see a new menu then. If one of these SEGA AGES 2500 game saves are in your memory card the game's sound test would be available on the TRESUREBOX.

Supported Games
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.20: Space Harrier II - Space Harrier Complete Collection
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.21: SDI & Quartet - SEGA System 16 Collection
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.25: GunStar Heroes - Treasurebox
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.28: Tetris Collection
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.29: Monster World Complete Collection
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.30: Galaxy Force II Special Extend Edition
      SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.32: Phantasy Star Complete Collection

Control Buttons
      ○: Play
      □: Stop
      LEFT and RIGHT Buttons: Select Game (a unit)
      UP and DOWN Buttons: Select BGM
      L1 and R1 Buttons: Select Game (5 Units)
      SELECT Button: NORMAL/AUTO/RANDOM
      ×: Quit

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "TIME ATTACK" MODE on FZ1
    Choose "OPTIONS" on SYSTEM MENU of FANTASY ZONE for SYSTEM16 and put down the cursor "VERSION" then hold down "RIGHT BUTTON" for 3 secs. "TIME ATTACK" will be available on the place next to "NEW(US rev.A)".

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "BGM TYPE" on FZ1 for System 16
    Complete any version of FZ1 for System 16 one time then the menu will be available. "OLD" means "Japanese Version" and "NEW" means "Oversea Version".

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "???" on FZ1 for System 16
    Complete any version(except "TIME ATTACK") of FZ1 for System 16 one time then "???" will change into "LIBRARY". You can see early concept arts and various datas for FZ1 there.

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "???" on FZ2 for SEGA MARK III
    Complete FZ2 DX for System 16 one time then "???" will change into "LIBRARY". You can see various datas including draft proposals and planning papers for FZ2 there.

Related Screenshots

How To Unlock "PLAYERS: 240" on FZ1 for System 16
    Choose "OPTIONS" on SYSTEM MENU of FANTASY ZONE for SYSTEM16 and put down the cursor "PLAYERS" then hold down "RIGHT BUTTON" for 3 secs. "240" will be available on the place next to "5".

Related Screenshots

"FOUR" Hidden Entry Musics on FZ2DX for System 16
    There are hidden entry musics which are arranged from old SEGA games on FZ2DX but SEGA didn't unveil how to unlock them in detail. According to their hints on the official homepage the hidden entry musics are "FOUR" and you should try certain command that we already know to hear them while "GAME OVER" screen is displaying. Also they mentioned this - Don't forget to "SAVE SYSTEM FILE" after you unlock at least one. Once you unlock at least one music you would be able to choose them on "SOUND TEST" or "SEGA SOUND TREASUREBOX".

Related Screenshots

These are IKa's cartoons which are available on http://ages.sega.jp/vol33/extra.html. According to her(or his) blog SEGA requested her to draw some anniversary toons for "FZCC" and she gladly accepted. I translated them for FZ fans, but who can't read Japanese.

Note: Hida●ri Sketch(ひだ●りスケッチ) means TBS's anime known as "Hidamari Sketch(ひだまりスケッチ/aka Sunshine Sketch)" and Yuno(ゆの) is the primary character wearing cross hairpins on her hair in that anime. You may find her silhouette wearing the cross hairpines on 3rd cut.

XII. Next SEGA AGES 2500

According to http://ages.sega.jp/vol33/ex_staff.html The SEGA AGES 2500 Development Team will have have a break for a while. It seems they have no plan to choose next SEGA AGES right now or the series ends in Vol.33.

XIII. Sources

01.jpg (49.77 KB)
01.jpg
02.jpg (215.9 KB)
02.jpg
03.jpg (177.06 KB)
03.jpg
04.jpg (88.75 KB)
04.jpg
05.jpg (195.13 KB)
05.jpg
06.jpg (238.52 KB)
06.jpg
07.jpg (358.16 KB)
07.jpg
08.jpg (343.98 KB)
08.jpg
09.jpg (349.53 KB)
09.jpg
10.jpg (430.81 KB)
10.jpg
11.jpg (426.92 KB)
11.jpg
12.jpg (403.67 KB)
12.jpg
13.jpg (219.23 KB)
13.jpg
14.jpg (398.37 KB)
14.jpg
15.jpg (202.26 KB)
15.jpg
16.jpg (366.99 KB)
16.jpg
17.jpg (179.57 KB)
17.jpg
18.jpg (195.02 KB)
18.jpg
19.jpg (395.15 KB)
19.jpg
20.jpg (208.14 KB)
20.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Thats awesome, I've recently become a fan of this series.. just a pity its on the sucky PS2 :P
Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:57 pm
excuse the spelling errors as I am currently on the floor.

Thanks for the news!!!!!!!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:39 pm
This new Fantasy Zone II is just.. awesome.
Even more if they actually coded it recently for the System 16 board.
Post Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:21 pm
That was pretty nice...
Hope that one day i'll get it along with "Monster World Collection"....
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:19 am
djbass wrote
Thats awesome, I've recently become a fan of this series.. just a pity its on the sucky PS2 :P

Can you even get this series out here?? I mean I got a chip in my PS2 so getting hold of them via other means isnt an issue :P
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:47 am
You can always import games from sites such as Play-Asia.
Your chip will be fine to play an ORIGINAL Japanese version.
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:12 am
Bock wrote
You can always import games from sites such as Play-Asia.
Your chip will be fine to play an ORIGINAL Japanese version.

If I were to get it through Play-Asia would the game be in English?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:19 am
No.
Why would you need to read text to play Fantasy Zone?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:20 am
Bock wrote
No.
Why would you need to read text to play Fantasy Zone?

So they emulate every facet including a sega ages menu that launches you into the fantasy zone game menu? or is it just straight into the game?
Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:35 am
Last edited by mr0919 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:08 pm; edited 3 times in total
Jacko wrote
If I were to get it through Play-Asia would the game be in English?
It would keep in Japanese. I'm not sure but due to a traditional reason I don't think SEGA is writing the scripts which are using in its opening and ending in Japanese because they NEVER used Japanese in any FZ series except "Super Fantasy Zone" which was created by SUNSOFT, not SEGA. If they write Japanese scripts in the game the scripts would only be used in the limited places such as tool-tips in "Options" menu.

Jacko wrote
So they emulate every facet including a sega ages menu that launches you into the fantasy zone game menu? or is it just straight into the game?
SEGA didn't reveal the game's info in detail so I can say nothing about it. If you want to get the fastest informations about the game refresh http://ages.sega.jp/vol33/ everyday. The link would be the official homepage of FZCC, SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.33 and would release in a few months or weeks. Of course the homepage will be written in Japanese so you'll need a web translation engine without Japanese skills. I'll write translated scripts of the homepage on this thread when the page releases. Perhaps SEGA would officially pronounce all the infos you want to know on the homepage.
21.jpg (198.57 KB)
21.jpg
22.jpg (230.1 KB)
22.jpg
23.jpg (149.4 KB)
23.jpg
24.jpg (384.36 KB)
24.jpg
25.jpg (209.3 KB)
25.jpg
26.jpg (386.09 KB)
26.jpg
27.jpg (139.14 KB)
27.jpg
28.jpg (184.59 KB)
28.jpg
29.jpg (178.36 KB)
29.jpg
30.jpg (43.71 KB)
30.jpg
31.jpg (43.91 KB)
31.jpg
32.jpg (37.08 KB)
32.jpg
33.jpg (56.54 KB)
33.jpg
34.jpg (232.25 KB)
34.jpg
35.jpg (32.93 KB)
35.jpg
36.jpg (35.3 KB)
36.jpg
37.jpg (232.58 KB)
37.jpg
38.jpg (214.09 KB)
38.jpg
39.jpg (199.12 KB)
39.jpg
40.jpg (216.62 KB)
40.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:59 pm
djbass wrote

???
Is thou mad?
The Sega Ages games on the ps2 are the best collections ever. With special 240p and 480p modes and a host of options, almost everything is in English!
mr0919, thanks for the great thread!
Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:16 am
Bah.. do not forget your enemy here.. do remember it was PS2 that killed the Dreamcast :P

Anyway, I prefer xbox myself.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:05 pm
Where's Space Fantasy Zone? :p
Post Posted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 4:36 pm
djbass wrote
Bah.. do not forget your enemy here.. do remember it was PS2 that killed the Dreamcast :P
Anyway, I prefer xbox myself.
I'm a sega fanboy myself, but the ps2 did not kill the Dreamcast. Sega did. Too many blunders to go into detail to.
Post Posted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:29 am
Man, I'm an Opa-opa fan, I Wanna this game!!
Post Posted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:04 am
The News on Fami-Tsu(ファミ通) Updated!
Post Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:57 am
Last edited by mr0919 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Updated some screenshots from DenGeki Online
41.jpg (232.71 KB)
41.jpg
42.jpg (241.12 KB)
42.jpg
43.jpg (39.23 KB)
43.jpg
44.jpg (47.56 KB)
44.jpg
45.jpg (57.58 KB)
45.jpg
46.jpg (56.31 KB)
46.jpg
47.jpg (247.25 KB)
47.jpg
48.jpg (34.28 KB)
48.jpg
49.jpg (240.9 KB)
49.jpg
50.jpg (102.52 KB)
50.jpg
51.jpg (22.41 KB)
51.jpg
52.jpg (62.18 KB)
52.jpg
53.jpg (70.05 KB)
53.jpg
54.jpg (65.29 KB)
54.jpg
55.jpg (46.81 KB)
55.jpg
56.jpg (36.9 KB)
56.jpg
57.jpg (240.39 KB)
57.jpg
58.jpg (96.25 KB)
58.jpg
59.jpg (27.78 KB)
59.jpg
60.jpg (68.01 KB)
60.jpg

Re: FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - Added FZ2 Remake's Title Screen in 30th June, 2008
Post Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:33 am
Last edited by mr0919 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Added some screenshots from Gpara.com
61.jpg (56 KB)
61.jpg
62.jpg (65.71 KB)
62.jpg
63.jpg (53.02 KB)
63.jpg
64.jpg (37.72 KB)
64.jpg
65.jpg (198.87 KB)
65.jpg
66.jpg (92.81 KB)
66.jpg
67.jpg (186.92 KB)
67.jpg
68.jpg (75.66 KB)
68.jpg
69.jpg (26.1 KB)
69.jpg
70.jpg (66.4 KB)
70.jpg
71.jpg (34.83 KB)
71.jpg
72.jpg (107.24 KB)
72.jpg
73.jpg (17.48 KB)
73.jpg
74.jpg (49.84 KB)
74.jpg
75.jpg (54.91 KB)
75.jpg
76.jpg (70.21 KB)
76.jpg
77.jpg (51.84 KB)
77.jpg
78.jpg (176.42 KB)
78.jpg
79.jpg (110.11 KB)
79.jpg
80.jpg (136.94 KB)
80.jpg

Re: FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - Added the Pre-Order Page Available in 9th July, 2008
Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:26 am
Added the Pre-Order Page.
Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:42 pm
Good.
´
I´m Fantasy Zone fan and i had the games Fantasy Zone II and Fantasy Zone: The Maze for SMS.

My unique dissapointment is about the lack of Space Fantasy Zone for PC Engine, but i know about the NEC is charged by Sega because the game is unauthorized.
Re: FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - Pre-Order Page Available in 9th July, 2008
Post Posted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:08 pm
Last edited by mr0919 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:21 am; edited 6 times in total
Promotion Movie Added
81.jpg (128.09 KB)
81.jpg
82.jpg (136.71 KB)
82.jpg
83.jpg (107.18 KB)
83.jpg
84.jpg (109.6 KB)
84.jpg
85.jpg (109.86 KB)
85.jpg
86.jpg (76.36 KB)
86.jpg
87.jpg (60.99 KB)
87.jpg
88.jpg (43.42 KB)
88.jpg
89.jpg (164.18 KB)
89.jpg
90.jpg (224.37 KB)
90.jpg
82.gif (26.56 KB)
82.gif
91.jpg (728.46 KB)
91.jpg
92.jpg (102.38 KB)
92.jpg
93.jpg (188.8 KB)
93.jpg
94.jpg (21.81 KB)
94.jpg

Post Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:09 pm
To even think about having this for Dreamcast breaks my heart... >_<

D wrote
I'm a sega fanboy myself, but the ps2 did not kill the Dreamcast. Sega did.

That's definitley correct.

- Anyone got any idea as to why SOA/SOE doesn't bother to release something as awesome as this series in NA/EU ?
Post Posted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 pm
Last edited by mr0919 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Added the Official Homepage Link and Translated Scripts
Re: FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - FZ2 Remake's Trial Version is DOWNLOADABLE in 2nd Sep, 2008
Post Posted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:21 am
Added FZ2 Remake's Trial Version! ENJOY! =]
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:03 am
It's awesome!
The updated animations are great.
In "dark side" mode the boss is much more difficult (almost too, in Fantasy Zone-style stressing).
I can't wait to play the full version.
lCEknight
Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:33 pm
So... is the Fantasy Zone 2 remake really a System 16 game? Or is it just a retro simulation like Megaman 9?

It sure feels like the real deal.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:19 pm
Bock wrote
I can't wait to play the full version.

Me either! =P I have waited for about 2 years!

lCEknight wrote
So... is the Fantasy Zone 2 remake really a System 16 game? Or is it just a retro simulation like Megaman 9?

SEGA made this game on the System 16 emulation environment so it's similar to Megaman 9 which is only for VCs not released as real NES cartridge. However, they showed some equipments which have system 16 board or PS2 inside during the Three Major Shooting Games Festival(3大シューティング祭り). I'm not sure but It is possible they made New FZ2's System 16 Boards for the festival.(Even if they have made of them they won't be for sale of course.) See this picture from the festival.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:04 am
mr0919 wrote
SEGA made this game on the System 16 emulation environment so it's similar to Megaman 9 which is only for VCs not released as real NES cartridge.
Megaman 9 isn't a real NES game, they just simulate how a real NES game could have been, but they'd have to remake everything again to make a NES cartridge out of it (and it might not end up being exactly the same, anyway).

That's why I was wondering if SEGA went for emulation or simulation for this. Either way, I hope they port it to other systems, like Wiiware and such.

PS: Also, it's a bit odd that the copyright at the demos just reads 1987... Are you guys 100% sure that this wasn't just an unreleased arcade?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:50 am
ICEknight wrote
PS: Also, it's a bit odd that the copyright at the demos just reads 1987... Are you guys 100% sure that this wasn't just an unreleased arcade?

Yeah! I read it too while watching non-playable rounds but I'm 100% sure that this was NOT an unreleased game for arcade. I am one who have read most articles and developing screenshots from Japanese webzines since it was chosen as next SEGA AGES 2500 about 2 years ago. Trust me! :P
"Why don't we try to recreate Fantasy Zone II for SMS on a popular arcade board in 80s?" <- I wrote this on top of this thread and this explains why SEGA made this game. The real reason was the result of a "SEGA AGES 2500's ENQUETE". They chose FZ2 for next SEGA AGES 2500 because many old fans in Japan want SEGA to recreate FZ2.
"1987" means the released year of FZ2 for SMS. I think they used the year to reproduce "IF" it was released for System 16 in 1987.
When FZ1 for Arcade was released in 1986 SEGA printed introduction cards to use for it.(Image from http://raccoonlad.topcities.com/fzone/)

And like FZ1's they made cards for FZ2 remake recently. You can find FZ1 and FZ2's introduction cards on these pictures from the Three Major Shooting Games Festival(3大シューティング祭り).

There is another arcade version of FZ2 which was released in 1988 and ported from SMS's FZ2.(I think you know this game.)
pcb2.jpg (62.29 KB)
pcb2.jpg

Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:23 am
Er...You know FZ2 was released on System-E 20 years ago right..?
Of course not so pretty, I'm not talking about this "new release", but since I read people thinking FZ2 never came out in Arcade..
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 am
Adol wrote
Er...You know FZ2 was released on System-E 20 years ago right..?
Of course not so pretty, I'm not talking about this "new release", but since I read people thinking FZ2 never came out in Arcade..

It's just what he said:
There is another arcade version of FZ2 which was released in 1988 and ported from SMS's FZ2.(I think you know this game.)

And the System-E versions of FZ2 and Opa Opa are included in the compilation.

I also have an unreleased Opa Opa arcade board based on the SMS version (NOT System-E).
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:26 pm
ICEknight wrote
That's why I was wondering if SEGA went for emulation or simulation for this. Either way, I hope they port it to other systems, like Wiiware and such.

If this was made for PS2, how did they bring it to Windows (for the trial version)?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:17 pm
CRV wrote
If this was made for PS2, how did they bring it to Windows (for the trial version)?

It is possible because they are using their own emulators for old consoles and arcade boards. They mentioned they're using emulators in some interviews from Japanese webzines and I remember they did similar work when developing "SEGA AGES 2500 Vol.31: Virtual On".(They used their own "MODEL2" emulator for this game.) In FZ2 Remake's trial there is a "readme.txt" which is fully written in Japanese. You can find this sentence from in this file.

本ソフトのWindows版発売予定はありません。

This means "We have no plan to release this game for Windows."
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:28 pm
Someone familiar with System 16 might be able to determine if this is how it works, and maybe even to extract the ROM. (Even if it is compressed, it should be easy to extract it from memory.) Unfortunately, I'm not that person.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:44 pm
M2 is the company developping all emulators for Sega since a while (they are also doing the Virtual Console emulators on the Wii).

PS: I would avoid messing with extracting a ROM image at that early point, rather avoid messing with their effort.
Post Posted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:43 pm
FZ Neo Classic and FZ2 BGM Comparison Videos Added in 5th Sep, 2008
FANTASY ZONE COMPLETE COLLECTION - FZ Neo Classic and FZ2 BGM Comparison Videos Added in 5th Sep
Post Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Because it was a release date of today, it has bought it.
It became a sending out delay in October though the music box was
scheduled to be sent in reality.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:31 am
Last edited by mr0919 on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Play Videos, Secrets and Next SEGA AGES Added in 14 Sep 2008
Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:36 am
This is probably the best thread I have ever seen.
Sega should pay you.
Don't mind my ignorance, but what exactly what do these secrets do?
Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:17 am
D wrote
This is probably the best thread I have ever seen.
Sega should pay you.

Thanks =D

D wrote
Don't mind my ignorance, but what exactly what do these secrets do?

I just wrote them in detail.
Music box from Play-Asia?
Post Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 pm
Hey all,

I just got my DX pack from Play-Asia, and I'm a little confusticated. It was supposed to come with the game, OST, and music box (would that be this "orgel" thing mentioned in the first post?).

Anyway, I didn't see a "music box" or music box-like object. What exactly is this thing?
Re: Music box from Play-Asia?
Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:28 am
Mike Cukan wrote
I didn't see a "music box" or music box-like object. What exactly is this thing?
Due to production and quality problems it will be sent in early October. SEGA sent FZCC with a written apology. I don't know if you got the letter or not from Play-Asia. Read nazca88's post on the previous page.
Perhaps you should request Play-Asia to re-send the music box(aka "orgel") and spend more fees for delivering. =(

***** UPDATED *****

Note about "Music Box"(aka Orgel)

IX. Fantasy Zone II DX's Play Videos

X. Secrets
How To Unlock "TIME ATTACK" MODE on FZ1
How To Unlock "BGM TYPE" on FZ1 for System 16
How To Unlock "???" on FZ1 for System 16
How To Unlock "???" on FZ2 for SEGA MARK III
Post Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:56 pm
I might have missed any information they initially sent, but I did email them and they said that they'll be shipping out the music box once they arrive in October. Good enough for me!
Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:07 pm
Last edited by mr0919 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
***** UPDATED IN 20 SEP 2008 *****

These are IKa's cartoons which are available on http://ages.sega.jp/vol33/extra.html. According to her(or his) blog SEGA requested her to draw some anniversary toons for "FZCC" and she gladly accepted. I translated them for FZ fans, but who can't read Japanese.

Note: Hida●ri Sketch(ひだ●りスケッチ) means TBS's anime known as "Hidamari Sketch(ひだまりスケッチ/aka Sunshine Sketch)" and Yuno(ゆの) is the primary character wearing cross hairpins on her hair in that anime. You may find her silhouette wearing the cross hairpines on 3rd cut.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:42 pm
Heh, cool.

I wonder if Ika is also related to Panel de Pon, somehow.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:10 pm
ICEknight wrote
I wonder if Ika is also related to Panel de Pon, somehow.

I don't know whether she(or he) has worked for some game manufactures or not but according to her profile on the blog she worked on Dojinshi(同人誌) especially related to Mega Drive(Genesis in oversea).
I sense she is a hardcore game fan because she wrote and reflected various knowledges related to games on her blog and cartoons.
Her comic book known as "PS3 San(P.S.すりーさん)", personified PS3, Wii, XB360 and SEGA appearing on, will be published in 30 Sep 2008.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:46 am
Last edited by mr0919 on Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Added These Infos in 26 Sep 2008

IX. My Play Videos

X. Secrets

How To Unlock "PLAYERS: 240" on FZ1 for System 16
    Choose "OPTIONS" on SYSTEM MENU of FANTASY ZONE for SYSTEM16 and put down the cursor "PLAYERS" then hold down "RIGHT BUTTON" for 3 secs. "240" will be available on the place next to "5".

Related Screenshots

"FOUR" Hidden Entry Musics on FZ2DX for System 16
    There are hidden entry musics which are arranged from old SEGA games on FZ2DX but SEGA didn't unveil how to unlock them in detail. According to their hints on the official homepage the hidden entry musics are "FOUR" and you should try certain command that we already know to hear them while "GAME OVER" screen is displaying. Also they mentioned this - Don't forget to "SAVE SYSTEM FILE" after you unlock at least one. Once you unlock at least one music you would be able to choose them on "SOUND TEST" or "SEGA SOUND TREASUREBOX".

Related Screenshots

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:37 am
Maxim wrote
Someone familiar with System 16 might be able to determine if this is how it works, and maybe even to extract the ROM. (Even if it is compressed, it should be easy to extract it from memory.) Unfortunately, I'm not that person.

I can confirm 100% this has now been done - I personally played the extracted ROM on a System 16B Board in an Arcade Cab just last night - it does require the addition of more RAM to the System 16B Board (game needs lots of work ram)

Newest coded game running on the oldest arcade hardware?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:44 am
guest wrote
it does require the addition of more RAM to the System 16B Board (game needs lots of work ram)
Right! Mr. Horii from M2 defined the System 16 Board with extended RAM as "System 16C" on FZCC's manual. They hardly worked for about 2 years to create FZ2 DX.

guest wrote
I can confirm 100% this has now been done - I personally played the extracted ROM on a System 16B Board in an Arcade Cab just last night
The SEGA AGES 2500 Team made a great service to old fans while being in a state of pecuniary embarrassment. The game could be canceled but they tried and finished developing the game to be true to their words with the old fans. I personally hope you won't release it to the public at this point to avoid ruining their efforts.
Reply to topic Goto page 1, 2  Next

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!