SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - VGZ to WMA & VGZ to MP3

Reply to topic
LeRock
VGZ to WMA & VGZ to MP3
Post Posted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 10:44 pm
Is there a way to make an audiocd with vgm files ?
And is it possible to convert vgm to a regular mp3 without needing the plugin anymore?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 6:53 am
> Is there a way to make an audiocd with vgm files ?
> And is it possible to convert vgm to a regular mp3 without needing the plugin anymore?

Yes. Open Winamp and choose either WMA output or MP3 output. Then open a VGM file and press play. Done.

You might need to grab the MP3 output plugin from Winamp.com. The WMA one comes with it I think.

(Although VGMs won't compress well with perceptual encoding like MP3. And a VGM is typically about 0.5kbps. But maybe you need to listen on a hardware MP3 player or a CD.)

Maxim
Post Posted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 4:28 am
> > Is there a way to make an audiocd with vgm files ?
> > And is it possible to convert vgm to a regular mp3 without needing the plugin anymore?

> Yes. Open Winamp and choose either WMA output or MP3 output. Then open a VGM file and press play. Done.

> You might need to grab the MP3 output plugin from Winamp.com. The WMA one comes with it I think.

> (Although VGMs won't compress well with perceptual encoding like MP3. And a VGM is typically about 0.5kbps. But maybe you need to listen on a hardware MP3 player or a CD.)

> Maxim

Just use Wave-Out or Disk-Out in Winamp and set it to .WAV 16bit, 44.1KHz then compress the resulting file with your favorite MP3 encoder.

Two things to remember:

1) WMA is shite - never use it
2) If you're using Windows XP (possibly 2000 even) the default MP3 codec is utter utter rubbish - I suspect as some evil plan by Microsoft to "Rid the world of Tyrrany" - so you'll have to find another codec (I reccomend the Radium pack, even though it's not technically legal) or use an external encoding program - CDex uses the LAME encoder, which is nice, or Cool Edit, which uses the Fraunhofer IIs codec, which is really, really.... really good.
Re: VGZ to WMA & VGZ to MP3 (edited version)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 12:32 am
> > > Is there a way to make an audiocd with vgm files ?
> > > And is it possible to convert vgm to a regular mp3 without needing the plugin anymore?

> > Yes. Open Winamp and choose either WMA output or MP3 output. Then open a VGM file and press play. Done.

> > You might need to grab the MP3 output plugin from Winamp.com. The WMA one comes with it I think.

> > (Although VGMs won't compress well with perceptual encoding like MP3. And a VGM is typically about 0.5kbps. But maybe you need to listen on a hardware MP3 player or a CD.)

> > Maxim

Just use Wave-Out or Disk-Out in Winamp and set it to .WAV 16bit, 44.1KHz then compress the resulting file with your favorite MP3 encoder.

Two things to remember:

1) WMA is shite - never use it
2) If you're using Windows XP (possibly 2000 even) the default MP3 codec is utter utter rubbish - I suspect as some evil plan by Microsoft to "Rid the world of Tyrrany" - so you'll have to find another codec (I reccomend the Radium pack, even though it's not technically legal) or use an external encoding program - CDex uses the LAME encoder, which is nice, or Cool Edit, which uses the Fraunhofer IIs codec (what you'll find in the Radium codec pack), which is really, really... really good.
Bob Chob
Post Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:00 pm
The original post wrote
hmm, iv bin readin this forum thing, jst downloaded winamp (newest one) n now im very confused as im not very good at dooing stuff like converting vgm/vgz to mp3. could any of u sort of give me an idiots guide to it? id be greatfull

I've been reading this forum, and just downloaded Winamp (the newest version). Now I'm very confused as I'm not very good at doing stuff like converting VGM files to MP3s. Could any of you give me an idiot's guide to it? I'd be grateful.

[Admin: provided translation from original post. Please try to use real words, capital letters and punctuation.]

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:32 am
It's got easier recently. Make sure you have a recent version of Winamp. Then go here:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~wdhf2/transcoder/

and download the newest version of Winamp Transcoder. Now, load some VGM files into Winamp (playlist or Media Library), select the ones you want converted, right-click and choose Send to: -> Transcode from the popup menu. You can then choose the format and encoding options, and it's all done for you - extremely easily. It also seems to do some Replay Gain style adjustment (at least for the MP3s I just made) which is quite cool.
Bob Chob
Post Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:40 am
:) hey thanks a lot, it is quite easy actually lol. its just a pain in the arse when your lookin to download a song from a game and nobody has it at all. thanks for your help :)

Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:23 am
I am getting a "Decoder doesn't support new 2.92 methods" failure I'm guessing this doesn't support winamp 5.x are there any ways to fix this outside of installing an earlier version?
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 pm
They changed the way this stuff worked in Winamp 5.something. out_lame is still your best bet, even if it's not so simple. I'll support these method when they're documented - they're the same ones that support Replay Gain - but the Winamp people haven't released the specs yet.
Shaiming Long
Transcode in WinAmp 5.32
Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:02 am
I tried to convert some .vgz to .wav with the intention of converting them to .mp3 for my mp3 player, but for some reason I get the following error:
---------------------------
Transcoding Failed
Input Plugin doesn't support transcoding
OK

The out_lame seems to be incompatible with the latest version of Winamp so using that caused all my music to no longer play, no matter the format.

Is this problem related to just the more recent versions of Winamp? I can downgrade for a while to convert them if that's the case, or is the problem something more technical that can be fixed by other means?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:28 am
See my previous reply.

As I said, out_lame still works, it's just not so easy to use.

1. Download out_lame from http://out-lame.sourceforge.net/

2. Install it (while Winamp is closed)

3. Open Winamp

4. Make a playlist containing the files you want to encode:

5. Have a listen, make sure you're happy with the way it sounds and how each track repeats/fades out etc.

6. Press Ctrl+P to open Winamp's preferences and click on Output, then choose "Lame MP3 Writer"

7. Click on "Configure" to see all the LAME MP3 options (it's up to you to decide what bitrate you want, I recommend not resampling), and choose the output directory.

8. Click OK and then Close to get back to the main window, then click Play. The files will play silently and faster than normal (depending on your CPU). Wait for them to finish.

9. Important! Go back to the preferences (Ctrl+P) and choose DirectSound output, otherwise every file you play in Winamp will silently make an MP3 instead!

10. Go and find the directory you chose in step 7; there are your files.

playlist.png (6.19 KB)
playlist.png
OutputPlugin.png (10.39 KB)
OutputPlugin.png
MP3Options.png (6.14 KB)
MP3Options.png
done.png (4.5 KB)
done.png

Shaiming Long
Post Posted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:16 am
I see now, thank you!
Ah, now not only do I look fool on these forums, I can look like a fool out and about when I'm listening to old classic synth music!

I thank you again, you've made my day and ruined my fathers!
(The game was Phantasy Star, I loved the music even if it was awful, but my Dad hates it)
Sorry if I'm being ambiguous.

That was a great step by step guide.

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!