Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Which Korean exclusives should be seen as "official" or "licensed"?

Reply to topic
Which Korean exclusives should be seen as "official" or "licensed"?
Post Posted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:45 pm
Just like it says in the subject, I'm wondering which Korean-exclusive releases -- if any -- would fall into the category of what we'd normally consider an "official" or "licensed" game, and what criteria we should use for that standard in Korea.

Take, for instance, Gaegujangi Kkachi: is that the Korean equivalent of an officially licensed game? From what I've read the use of the Lee Hyunse character was legit, and HiCom was an (official distributor of the Samsung Gam*Boy, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't be considered just as official as (for example) the Brazilian reskins of various games.

On the other hand a game like Dr. Hello -- excuse me, Dr. HELLO! -- is clearly out, as it's a straight-up ripoff (albeit a very good one) of Dr. Mario.

Thoughts?
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:03 am
What a popular topic this turned out to be! :D
Post Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:24 pm
I'm actually a bit fascinated with the regional differences in consoles and games. I'm trying to have a Korean game expert (friend of a friend) on the podcast soon to talk about a lot of this stuff. I doubt I'll have time to do a video showing the differences, but hopefully it'll be a good discussion and go over at least a few games that are licensed, but intentionally changed.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!