SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sonic 2 review

Reply to topic
Sonic 2 review
Post Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:49 pm
Hi everyone,

This week I reviewed Sonic 2 for the Master System. I definitely hope you'll enjoy the video! :D

Post Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:55 am
Hah, hello! I replied to your topic in the Sega Saturn forums. I thought your name sounded familiar.

As I mentioned there, I have a fondness for Sonic 2 SMS. I actually enjoy it more than the Mega Drive version.

Sonic 2 MD has a great first half and then the latter half is pretty dire - especially Oil Ocean. Seriously, I learnt to speedrun Sonic 2 mainly so I could get through those levels with minimal pain.....

On the other hand, the SMS version starts out pretty bland. The mines are pretty dull and the boss is just silly. After that though, I love every single subsequent level. I also like how Robotnik is saved for the final boss rather than churned out every stage. It's something I really appreciate in the 8 bit Sonic games.

The SMS version also rectifies one of the biggest issues with the GG version - Green Hills 3. In the GG version, you need to get a feeling for how long you hold the direction for. In the SMS version you could just use the trees as a guide, making it a cakewalk.

Still, good review. I always like seeing review channels for SMS and Saturn since both systems are fantastic yet criminally overlooked!
Post Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:01 pm
SpanishAdam wrote

Sonic 2 MD has a great first half and then the latter half is pretty dire - especially Oil Ocean.

Oh wow I thought I was the only one who felt this. I love first half of Sonic 2 on MD but the latter half, I turn the game when I get to Oil Ocean.
Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:20 am
yeah i basically agree w/ all of this! tails not being playable (plus the bad first level) pretty much broke the camels back for me, which sucks because i have a fondness for sonic 2 on the mega drive! i like it better than the original, even

it's one of the games i avoid on mega collection

the sonic warrior factoid is legit, though! i had no idea until you pointed it out

also you got a legit accent, what's your nationality??
Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:57 am
SpanishAdam wrote
Hah, hello! I replied to your topic in the Sega Saturn forums. I thought your name sounded familiar.

As I mentioned there, I have a fondness for Sonic 2 SMS. I actually enjoy it more than the Mega Drive version.

Sonic 2 MD has a great first half and then the latter half is pretty dire - especially Oil Ocean. Seriously, I learnt to speedrun Sonic 2 mainly so I could get through those levels with minimal pain.....

On the other hand, the SMS version starts out pretty bland. The mines are pretty dull and the boss is just silly. After that though, I love every single subsequent level. I also like how Robotnik is saved for the final boss rather than churned out every stage. It's something I really appreciate in the 8 bit Sonic games.

The SMS version also rectifies one of the biggest issues with the GG version - Green Hills 3. In the GG version, you need to get a feeling for how long you hold the direction for. In the SMS version you could just use the trees as a guide, making it a cakewalk.

Still, good review. I always like seeing review channels for SMS and Saturn since both systems are fantastic yet criminally overlooked!

I do think Sonic 2 for the Master System has some strongpoints and that it could have been a great game had the levels been tweaked a bit. But I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of the underwater level either or the cloud level where it's hard to tell which platforms you can stand on and which are just background. It's a shame, there was so much potential.

As for the MD Sonic 2, I'll just go ahead and say it: it's my least favorite MD Sonic game out of the 4 main games. I'm actually terrified to review it because I'm sure if I ever do, I'll incur the wrath of many Sonic and Sega fans. I like the first couple of levels, but I just don't care for that game >.>

psidum wrote
SpanishAdam wrote

Sonic 2 MD has a great first half and then the latter half is pretty dire - especially Oil Ocean.

Oh wow I thought I was the only one who felt this. I love first half of Sonic 2 on MD but the latter half, I turn the game when I get to Oil Ocean.

No no, that's pretty much on point.

lastkeymusic wrote
yeah i basically agree w/ all of this! tails not being playable (plus the bad first level) pretty much broke the camels back for me, which sucks because i have a fondness for sonic 2 on the mega drive! i like it better than the original, even

it's one of the games i avoid on mega collection

the sonic warrior factoid is legit, though! i had no idea until you pointed it out

also you got a legit accent, what's your nationality??

Glad you liked the video and the bit of trivia I threw in! :D

And to answer your question, I'm Portuguese! ^^
Post Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:55 pm
"As for the MD Sonic 2, I'll just go ahead and say it: it's my least favorite MD Sonic game out of the 4 main games. I'm actually terrified to review it because I'm sure if I ever do, I'll incur the wrath of many Sonic and Sega fans. I like the first couple of levels, but I just don't care for that game >.> "

Yeah, Sonic fans are a bit mental so if you do a review I would expect the like/dislike ratio to be iffy for that one. But yeah, I agree with you 100%. Emerald Hill is fine, although it's just a fancier Green Hill. Chemical Plant is awesome. After that, I only really like Hill Top Zone. It's my least favourite of the classic era sonic games. Even more than Sonic CD, which has some questionable level design.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!