SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Sega Megatech Custom - Questions

Reply to topic
Sega Megatech Custom - Questions
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:00 pm
Hello,

I mostly roam in the arcade scene but own a sega megatech.

I have started to make custom (non-existent) games for sega megatech by burning the roms and manually hex creating top menu's for those who want to have them. It's all public on Jamma+ forum.

Now, if I want to create a Sega Master System Megatech conversion, I have to kill/sacrifice a master system game for it's mask rom.

Are there any games that don't have mappers or custom mask rom's with mapper included? Because if not, there is no other way to convert master system games to sega mega tech arcade without killing the master system cart for the maskrom. :(

tnx for any help, I tested with Kung Fu Kid and Wonderboy, transplanting the maskrom makes them work on megatech. Burning them to 27c eproms doesn't.

tnx!
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:17 pm
Last edited by Maxim on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
All 32KB games are mapperless. The games with discrete mapper chips, like After Burner, World Grand Prix, Phantasy Star, Monopoly, ... have regular ROMs. I'm not sure why this is necessary for you? It sounds more like you need the mappers, so you will only be able to burn roms of your choice if you can mix a mapper into the circuit, or can live with a 32KB limit.
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:22 pm
Hello,

tnx for the reply.

Well, from the 32KB games there aren't many "good" titles except 3.

All other games can't be burned without a mapper?
Then I have no choice but to transplant the sms mask roms...
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:32 pm
It's a matter of capacity. The chip only has enough pins for 64KB and some of that is not usable. Either the chip needs to have a mapper or just have little enough data to fit in the usable space. Your EPROMs may have the same number of pins and support more data, but they aren't arranged the same way as the system needs.

Presumably the ideal thing would be to get an Everdrive working in there. I imagine that might not be impossible...
Post Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:46 pm
Ok, tnx for the confirmation, just wanted to make sure I didn't have to sacrifice SMS games for this project.

Too bad I have to :(, I always try to find the ugly loose carts that collectors aren't interested in. The games get a new life as Megatech games so that's a good thing :)

tnx again!
Post Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am
Hi guys

It is now possible to use an Everdrive X3/X5/X7 (albeit with limitations) on the Megatech

Info can be found (along with updated versions of all the old info that was on my site) here:

Please enjoy and pass along. I'm posting to all the top Google searches for Megatech & Everdrive, so hopefully those few of us in the Megatech community can find it

DL link: https://mega.nz#F!5mZGTQZQ!mDAuPaSu1BSt6G0WRXTMqQ

Kind regards,
Nipedley
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!