Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Best games on the Master System?

Reply to topic
Best games on the Master System?
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:55 pm
Im thinking of picking up a few titles for the system but wondered if anyone could recommend any.

Ive got the classics like Wonderboy, Alex Kidd and several others but wondered if anyone could recommend any.

On Sonic Ive got the first 2 but not Chaos and a few RPG's like Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellious so any advice would be great.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:23 pm
[kidding] ESWAT: City Under Siege [/kidding]

On a serous note, though, I'm a big fan of the Streets Of Rage series and the first two Mrtal Kombat games.

Please buy Psycho Fox if you haven't already.

Road Rash, Bubble Bobble and Fire 'n' Ice are prety cool too.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm
Psycho Fox is a fantastic game I remember playing it years ago. Thoroughly enjoyable

Ive got the first MK game will keep a eye out for the second one.
Post Posted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:42 pm
Try also: Lemmings, Fantasy Zone (whole trilogy), R-Type, Rainbow Islands, Aleste/Power Strike (and its sequel, Power Strike II), Castle Of Illusion, Scramble Spirits, American Baseball (AKA Reggie Jackson baseball), Robocop Vs. Terminator, Buggy Run, Ecco The Dolphin, Sega World Tournament Golf, Cool Spot, Bonanza Bros., Masters Of Combat, Astérix, Penguin Land, Parlour Games (but I'm afraid only the billiard games are enjoyable), Shanghai, Pac-Mania, Bomber Raid, Columns, Ms. Pac-Man, Montezuma's Revenge, Double Dragon, Klax, Super Monaco GP (USA version, not the other), Pro-Wrestling, Chase H.Q., Operation Wolf, Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, Sagaia, New Zealand Story, California Games, Hang On, and Lucky Dime Caper.
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:52 am
Alien Syndrome, Space Harrier, Zillion
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:55 am
The first Astérix game.
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am
Wonderboy III & Shinobi.
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:35 pm
Ron_Stard wrote
Super Monaco GP (USA version, not the other)

Didn't know they are different. I haven't found information about this :O
Post Posted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:48 pm
TinchoDJ wrote

Didn't know they are different. I haven't found information about this :O

Visually they look the same, but the controls are WAY easier on the NTSC (i.e., USA) version of the game than on the PAL (European) version.

I you don't believe me, try to control the vehicle in both versions... You'll skid a lot in the Euro game, whereas in the USA version, the car is a lot more manageable.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:00 am
mickey's games.
Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:32 pm
I have got alot of stuff in recently and Im still waiting for Wonderboy 4 in Monster World, Time Soldiers, Thunder Blade, Terminator, Shadow of the Beast & Bonanza Brothers.

Still need to pick up some time Cloud Master & My Hero as enjoyed them when I was younger. Ive taken some pics of my collection but might have to view image to see them properly.

Still if anyone can think of any other games worth adding to my collection that would be great. Yes I know im missing Phantasy Star but out of stock at the moment.

Post Posted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:06 pm
Last edited by TinchoDJ on Fri May 26, 2017 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Oh, I was going to recommend Taz-Mania. Such an underrated game. Beautiful graphics and catchy tunes. But you have it already.
Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 am
Ninja Gaiden as always has good graphics and lots of action. The more acclaimed of Sega's two spinoffs. Master System and Game Gear versions are separate games.
Post Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:46 pm
I have special affection for Sonic and Sonic 2, the forgotten Master of Darkness, Ghouls' n Ghosts, Sagaia and Catle of Illusion
Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:23 pm
@steven1977, you're not messing around! You've already got a pretty big library of SMS games. Looks good.

If I could only have 10 Sega Master System Games it would be the following:

01) Phantasy Star
02) Wonder Boy
03) Wonder Boy in Monster Land
04) Wonder Boy Dragon's Trap
05) Fantasy Zone II
06) Golvellious
07) R-Type
08) Miracle Warriors
09) Quartet
10) Alex Kidd
Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:38 pm
steven1977 wrote
Im thinking of picking up a few titles for the system but wondered if anyone could recommend any.

Ive got the classics like Wonderboy, Alex Kidd and several others but wondered if anyone could recommend any.

On Sonic Ive got the first 2 but not Chaos and a few RPG's like Golden Axe Warrior, Golvellious so any advice would be great.

Do you have Wonderboy 3 yet? That's a must. Wonderboy 2 is really good as well. My other favorites are:

Fantasy Zone 2: This is the only Fantasy Zone you'll need. IMO it's the best of the series. It's not as fancy as the Genesis one, but the weapons are better balanced.

World Grand Prix: Oft-overlooked Pole Position-style game. Plays very well. It's like if F1 Race on Famicom weren't all choppy.

Land of Illusion: Brilliant platformer, very colorful, plays well, has lots of clever ideas, but is a little short.

Rambo: It plays a little slower and is more strategic than the average run n gun, but it's great once you get into the groove

The Ninja: A very good run n gun with lots of variety in the gameplay

Astro Warrior: If you like oldschool shmups, this one I thought played more smoothly than Star Force or Star Soldier. It should be very cheap and easy to find, too.

R-Type: Brilliant port if you like the arcade game. If you have a way to play it with FM, it's even better.

Teddy Boy: Mega underrated game in the vein of Bubble Bobble

Dragon Crystal: One of the most charming Roguelikes ever. I love this one.

Kenseiden: Neat side-scrolling action/adventure that plays a bit differently from your average game in that genre. Worth checking out if you like stuff like Castlevania. Tough as nails. Great FM sound if you have it.

I don't know if you are opposed to flash carts etc, but if you haven't tried Power Strike 2, that is a must to at least check out. It's damn near impossible to find these days, but it is one of the best 8-bit shmups on any system.
Post Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:35 pm
I really like Land of Illusion and Lucky Dime Caper (great disney platformers). The sonic games are obviously classics too.

I would also recommend My Hero and Putt and Putter. My Hero is a little shallow, but it's very addictive. Putt and Putter is a golf game, but it's surprisingly good. I don't like golf or golf games, but I always have fun with P&P.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!