8 31% 31%
9 (Excellent) 42% 42%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Coding competition 2017] Mecha-8 demo by nanochess
Post Posted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:05 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Homebrew/Mecha8Demo-SMS

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:12 pm
How good is the technical component here... from the game logo effect to the size of player, the fact of bosses are made with tiles and the strong explosions of bosses.... also the fm sounds. Have to investigate about this.... how did you do it? Wladx???
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:56 pm
Cool game. The large player sprite makes dodging some of the attacks quite impossible, though. Fortunately, the game dishes out energy capsules like candy.

My only gripe is that the graphics are ported straight from the original, thus not taking advantage of the Master System's better palette. Have you considered doing a "DX" version with redrawn graphics?
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 pm
Good game, quite playable too, although as mentioned you can get squeezed for space sometimes.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:13 pm
eruiz00 wrote
How good is the technical component here... from the game logo effect to the size of player, the fact of bosses are made with tiles and the strong explosions of bosses.... also the fm sounds. Have to investigate about this.... how did you do it? Wladx???

I used the SMS Power development documents, I always code directly in assembler.

The FM chip is the same as in MSX-Music except of course for the ports and memory addresses.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:14 pm
Kagesan wrote
Cool game. The large player sprite makes dodging some of the attacks quite impossible, though. Fortunately, the game dishes out energy capsules like candy.

My only gripe is that the graphics are ported straight from the original, thus not taking advantage of the Master System's better palette. Have you considered doing a "DX" version with redrawn graphics?

I considered asking help to a friend, but he is pretty busy currently and between having it 3 years saved in my hard drive and releasing it right away before regretting, I preferred to release it :)
Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:08 am
Awesome game! Another classic looking 80s retro style SHMUP.
The movement is really smooth and is great being able to Pause the game...!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:04 am
I've been testing this ROM on my setup (I'm using a Master EverDrive on my SMS II fitted with a 50/60Hz switch and connected to a CRT) yesterday evening. Results are very good but let me point out some problems:

- first column: on my CRT (and on many others, I've read) the leftmost column (8 pixels) is almost invisible, in my case there are say 6-7 pixels that don't appear. This greatly affects the texts during the intro - the suggestion here is not to place important stuff (texts, for instance) in that area. See 'safe area' for more details.

- I didn't notice any VRAM corruption in game, but during the attract mode (when you don't press any key, I mean) it happened twice to see the whole screen flashing with different colors and, after that, the game demo run with completely messed up tiles - I suspect somehow these two things are related... the tile loading was messed up and those colors were the side effect (you were probably writing to CRAM instead of to VRAM).

All that said, I still believe this is a wonderful entry and it deserves lots of praises and the higher of the votes!
Thanks for such a great entry! :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:57 pm
sverx wrote
I've been testing this ROM on my setup (I'm using a Master EverDrive on my SMS II fitted with a 50/60Hz switch and connected to a CRT) yesterday evening. Results are very good but let me point out some problems:

- first column: on my CRT (and on many others, I've read) the leftmost column (8 pixels) is almost invisible, in my case there are say 6-7 pixels that don't appear. This greatly affects the texts during the intro - the suggestion here is not to place important stuff (texts, for instance) in that area. See 'safe area' for more details.

- I didn't notice any VRAM corruption in game, but during the attract mode (when you don't press any key, I mean) it happened twice to see the whole screen flashing with different colors and, after that, the game demo run with completely messed up tiles - I suspect somehow these two things are related... the tile loading was messed up and those colors were the side effect (you were probably writing to CRAM instead of to VRAM).

All that said, I still believe this is a wonderful entry and it deserves lots of praises and the higher of the votes!
Thanks for such a great entry! :)

Thanks, I'll give a look when I've time, I like to fix everything for peace of mind.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:44 pm
Great game! I have been playing this over the past couple of days, and must say that I'm very impressed with how everything is so nicely done and polished. Intro and cutscenes setting the mood and outlining the narrative (Thunder - she is a bad ass girl!) while aligning greatly with the music; and in-game action is swift and challenging. I can sometimes weave in and out between waves of enemies now, despite the big mecha I'm flying :). Shot upgrades make you really want to take care not to get hit.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:42 pm
sverx wrote

I'm playing this game on my SMS I connected to a "newer" TV and I also can't see the text on the leftmost column so this is not limited to just CRT TVs unfortunately... still an awesome game however!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 am
What this game lacks in graphics it more than makes up for with gameplay. I thought the large player sprite would be an issue but it works fine. I have played this a few times over last week and a half and will play some more in the future.

Very solid entry!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:15 pm
Very naiss stuff, and I like that FM got used ~
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!