Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - Mecha-8 for Sega Master System.

Reply to topic
Mecha-8 for Sega Master System.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:43 pm
Last edited by nanochess on Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hi guys.

After thinking it a lot... well, 3 years ;)

Now is available for sale the ROM file of Mecha-8 for Sega Master System, it costs USD $9.90

It supports FM sound.

It's available at my digital store http://nanochess.org/store.html, powered by E-junkie, it admits Paypal and most credit cards.

Video of the Sega Master version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIbY4DPWWhQ
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:45 am
Last edited by Bock on Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Nice :)

(If your game comes with a specific license you should probably state the licensing terms before purchase. I think it is odd to release an 8-bit game in 2017 and ask of people to not disassemble or reverse engineer it, especially as it is probably how you have learned your own craft. Sorry to detract from the main topic!)
Revo
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:28 am
Hope to see a video soon ;)

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:32 am
I'd love to see a video of the SMS version :)

As for the licence... you might not be aware that limitations that you put on your products are automatically void if they violate the rights of the buyer, as defined by national/international law. I mean to say that disassembly/studying/reverse engineering is authorized by law almost everywhere on earth, and that's really nothing you can do about it.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:31 pm
The copyright and license is a standard protection method for any game and allows me to enforce my rights when pirate copies appear in eBay, and god knows it has happened a few times.

These days is hard to find a game without a license :)

Anyway I'm not running behind the people that does whatever they want in the privacy of their house for their own use ;) and no license in the world ever has prevented it.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:25 pm
Just updated first post with video of game running in Fusion. Forgot to disable the frame counter.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:31 pm
Very nice work!

It would be great to see a physical release.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 pm
Game is not my cup of tea to be honest , it's just ok , reminds me a bit of power strike but with robots but im not big fan of robot shooters somehow (transbot yuck) , i appreciate you did this for the master system but looks kinda simple and repetitive in a way. I would prefer to see more colors and more graphical work and the bar over the right side is very generic and that's how i feel this game is .

I agree with gallos_11 you should release a physical version of it considering there are many others that grab them roms , make it a physical copy and go sell it for hundreds over ebay.
Keep up the good work nevertheless.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:26 pm
Hi Nanochess, I want to digitally buy Mecha-9 for MSX!!!
Please :) I am a bigggg fan of the first one :) Also, nice for the SMS rel.
"I'm only afraid of 2 people, one is myself and the other is not an alien." :D

best regards,
- dink (fbalpha guy)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:27 pm
gallos_11 wrote
Very nice work!

It would be great to see a physical release.

I've been waiting 3 years for stars to align, and I'm afraid it probably will not happen.

Filipe Santos wrote
Game is not my cup of tea to be honest , it's just ok , reminds me a bit of power strike but with robots but im not big fan of robot shooters somehow (transbot yuck) , i appreciate you did this for the master system but looks kinda simple and repetitive in a way. I would prefer to see more colors and more graphical work and the bar over the right side is very generic and that's how i feel this game is .

I agree with gallos_11 you should release a physical version of it considering there are many others that grab them roms , make it a physical copy and go sell it for hundreds over ebay.
Keep up the good work nevertheless.

Everyone with their own taste ;) don't worry.

dink wrote
Hi Nanochess, I want to digitally buy Mecha-9 for MSX!!!
Please :) I am a bigggg fan of the first one :) Also, nice for the SMS rel.
"I'm only afraid of 2 people, one is myself and the other is not an alien." :D

best regards,
- dink (fbalpha guy)

Mecha-9 should follow shortly now that it's sold out both in MSX and Colecovision. BTW, I was thinking it was a very nice quote when I reminded I wrote it for the game :)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:56 pm
nanochess wrote

:) please keep releasing games for the master system and it would seriously be good if you would make it available on physical (if possible) because as you already aware pirate copies might show up.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm
Filipe Santos wrote
nanochess wrote

:) please keep releasing games for the master system and it would seriously be good if you would make it available on physical (if possible) because as you already aware pirate copies might show up.

I will not release further games for Master System, after a week I only have sold 2 ROM files, this result has turned off the last guy barely interested in publishing in physical format.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:10 pm
This doesn't mean that a physical release would have the same luck. The game looks quite good and I think it just needs a nice presentation. I wouldn't expect to sell hundreds, but probably a few dozens.

Most SMS players prefer the real thing than digital, otherwise we would play PS4. :)

Good luck with your game!
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:13 pm
You need to increase the hype as Watermelon does :)
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:04 pm
gallos_11 wrote
This doesn't mean that a physical release would have the same luck. The game looks quite good and I think it just needs a nice presentation. I wouldn't expect to sell hundreds, but probably a few dozens.

Most SMS players prefer the real thing than digital, otherwise we would play PS4. :)

True , I avoid all emulators and digital stuff as I own a master system and I prefer to play it all there. Thats how it was back in the days anyways and that's why I love it first of all.

Its a shame you won't be making more games for the master system because you feel let down since nobody is buying it.
Personally the game doesn't appeal much to me , maybe other people feel the same. Could be the graphics and the general aesthetic of the game. I think the most important thing in making a game like this is to do it for yourself and not count on anything else. If it sells a dozen that's a nice bonus. Its also nice to have a good connection with the community and see what people think then if the reaction is good that's a very good sign and maybe the game is worth developing some more , if not , too bad maybe next time.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 pm
law81 wrote
You need to increase the hype as Watermelon does :)

Dunno about the hype , I know watermelon for their massive mega drive projects but I never bought anything from them anyways.
They were trying to develop a beat em up like streets of rage I think , god knows if it's out now. It's been up for years. But watermelon puts all their stuff in cartridges I think.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:10 am
How about looking around for a publisher to sell the game for you? There might be someone willing to do the yards in manufacturing physical copies and paying you to do that.
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:47 am
If you were to make a physical release - and you could ask people like ichigobankai if they are interested, I'm sure you'd sell off 100+ copies easily.

People are really not used to purchase digital ROM images for those systems. You are perhaps the first known occurrence of this happening.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:32 pm
Psytronik sells digital downloads for c64 and seem to do well,not sure if that applies to master system though.http://www.psytronik.net/
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:46 pm
OmegaPrime wrote
Psytronik sells digital downloads for c64 and seem to do well,not sure if that applies to master system though.http://www.psytronik.net/

There's a good thing with the c64 tho.
You can download the Rom images in tape format , rec it on a cassette and load it on the real system which is pretty cool. I done it before and its really cool to run stuff from the demoscene and even old games. With the master system it's a totally different case , unfortunately it involves a lot of work around and costs to produce the cartridges , boxes , manuals and more , that is if you don't own an ever drive .
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!