SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [FINISHED] Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition

Reply to topic
[FINISHED] Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 am
Last edited by tailsnic on Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:17 am; edited 6 times in total
I'm glad to announce you the finished project. Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition. Here I made a video showing how I did it and showing the differences. I put english subtitles for you, because I'm from Spain, xD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eX5D6D_NYw

I have to see where to upload it to make sure that the people knows that I made the hack. The ROM will be free to download, but I want my merit, xD.

I have just discovered how to edit end credits in the Game Gear version (the offset is unknown). The final credits have my signature (BehindtheROTO is my most known nick, more than "tailsnic")

OLD POST ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all. I'm entering in this amazing world of hacking SMS-GG roms. I want to do my first hack. This time I want to fix something that hurted my heart long time ago, xD.

That thing is the group of horrible sprites in Sonic the Hedgehog (Game Gear version). The goal is to replicate the Sonic the Hedgehog's (Master System version) sprites in this horrible port.

I have understood the structure of the sprites, and the mapping offsets, so for now, I have only 1 fixed sprite, but it's enough to show the project.

The main problem is the size of the sprites. The "waiting" sprite:

In this case, we have more pixels than the mapper memory (here we can see that the bank memory in the master system is bigger than the game gear version), so in this case the best thing we can do is to "fit" the sprite:

Adapting the sprite, we have this result:

I'm going to do it to every sprite of Sonic in the game. I know that one of the biggest sprite in this game is the "breathing" sprite, so I have even a bigger problem, xD. Well, I'll respect the original sprite style.

Obviously, my first sprite isn't final, I have to fit it better because that width is the maximum I have to use for "running" for example. I'll comment all the news.
ChiJ24yl.jpg (32.73 KB)
Attachment fairy
ChiJ24yl.jpg
HrkaZ7Hl.jpg (28.25 KB)
Attachment fairy
HrkaZ7Hl.jpg
GRc2uqEl.jpg (33.01 KB)
Attachment fairy
GRc2uqEl.jpg
rurOUMNl.jpg (33.4 KB)
Attachment fairy
rurOUMNl.jpg
Captura.PNG (9.15 KB)
Captura.PNG
Captura 2.PNG (8.35 KB)
Captura 2.PNG

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 am
Haha duuudeee!
Glad you're getting some good progress with this!
I couldn't agree with you more. Gg sonic sprites are pretty ugly.
Your sprites already looking good .
It'll be nice to see the proper sonic sprites in the game gear versions which Sega should've done in first place. Truth is as a kid when I seen the gg version I was like what the heck , games the same but Sonics horrible!
Also , kinda weird the game gear has less space to fit in the master system one.
Good luck with this project! :)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm
Last edited by tailsnic on Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filipe Santos wrote
Haha duuudeee!
Glad you're getting some good progress with this!
I couldn't agree with you more. Gg sonic sprites are pretty ugly.
Your sprites already looking good .
It'll be nice to see the proper sonic sprites in the game gear versions which Sega should've done in first place. Truth is as a kid when I seen the gg version I was like what the heck , games the same but Sonics horrible!
Also , kinda weird the game gear has less space to fit in the master system one.
Good luck with this project! :)

Thanks.

I am finally modifying the original sprites, making them to be more similar to the master system's originals, considering that in the Game Gear version, the Sonic's sprites are 8 pixels x 8 squares in vertical, so it is impossible to adapt all the master system's original sprites at 1:1. This is an example:

First is the original of game gear, the second is mine and the third is the original of Master System.
XGKGrKpl.jpg (24.04 KB)
Attachment fairy
XGKGrKpl.jpg

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:31 pm
I'm glad you are working to remade those awful sprites mostly cause the lack of Sonic's nose, it is rare to see this kind of hacks here, keep it up!!! It's looking great so far.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:46 pm
it is looking far better .
can you not grab the sprite of the master system place it on the gg one and resize it ?
Maybe it would fit in that way .
The gg one looks smaller for sure.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:01 pm
Filipe Santos wrote
it is looking far better .
can you not grab the sprite of the master system place it on the gg one and resize it ?
Maybe it would fit in that way .
The gg one looks smaller for sure.

I can't use the same tall of Sonic in Master System, you know...hit-boxes, xD.

Well, after hours of pixeling, I have all the designs ready to be used in the rom, so beware, xD:

Game Gear originals VS Self-created

Amko2zP.png (6.83 KB)
Attachment fairy
Amko2zP.png
MYNYYqF.png (7.31 KB)
Attachment fairy
MYNYYqF.png

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:05 pm
goddamn! for a minute i thought it was yours vs the master system ones !
great work!
Yours look nearly identical to the master system! You should be very happy with this! :)

Tailsnic i was thinking as if you would get the master system sprites and resize them into the game gear sprite space , maybe with photoshop or something i'm not really an expert on this , but maybe doing that will change the ratio of the original and it could look weird or not , it was just an idea that it could help , but yours look really good! :)
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:24 pm
Filipe Santos wrote
great work!
Yours look nearly identical to the master system! You should be very happy with this! :)

Tailsnic i was thinking as if you would get the master system sprites and resize them into the game gear sprite space , maybe with photoshop or something i'm not really an expert on this , but maybe doing that will change the ratio of the original and it could look weird or not , it was just an idea that it could help , but yours look really good! :)

Thanks a lot. I have tried what you say, and the result is awfully weird, xD. I'm entering the new sprites in the rom.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:49 pm
tailsnic wrote
Filipe Santos wrote
great work!

Thanks a lot. I have tried what you say, and the result is awfully weird, xD. I'm entering the new sprites in the rom.

hehe yea thought so , the resizing will probably cut pixels and stuff but least it was worth a try :)
good job with your animation it looks very but very close to the master system :) , post a video when you're done :D
Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:51 pm
Last edited by tailsnic on Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Well, the ROM is fully completed. Tomorrow i'll make the video of the production. 9 fo**ing hours, xD
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:45 am
tailsnic: Nice job! Looking forward to see it.

(PS: please do not post link to imgur but rather use the attachment system. Anything you post on imgur will be deleted by them in few years, leaving forum posts unreadable. This is why we are replacing those links with attachments manually if you don't do it.)
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 am
Bock wrote
tailsnic: Nice job! Looking forward to see it.

(PS: please do not post link to imgur but rather use the attachment system. Anything you post on imgur will be deleted by them in few years, leaving forum posts unreadable. This is why we are replacing those links with attachments manually if you don't do it.)

Alright, I'll take in mind.
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:02 pm
I'm glad to announce you the finished project. Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition. Here I made a video showing how I did it and showing the differences. I put english subtitles for you, because I'm from Spain, xD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eX5D6D_NYw

I have to see where to upload it to make sure that the people knows that I made the hack. The ROM will be free to download, but I want my merit, xD
Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:05 pm
Congratulations and welcome to development rom-hacking world.

In a few months later I tried to convert GG Sonic 1 to GG2SMS Sonic 1, but no space in the rom to allocate my code. If you find some sprite not using or debug sprites then I would convert it so to master system rom, please tell me

I remember game is not exactly same to Master System Version

;) See you
Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:11 am
BcnAbel76 wrote
Congratulations and welcome to development rom-hacking world.

In a few months later I tried to convert GG Sonic 1 to GG2SMS Sonic 1, but no space in the rom to allocate my code. If you find some sprite not using or debug sprites then I would convert it so to master system rom, please tell me

I remember game is not exactly same to Master System Version

;) See you

I'll tell you, don't worry.

I have just discovered how to edit end credits in the Game Gear version (the offset is unknown). The final credits have my sign (BehindtheROTO is my most known nick, more than "tailsnic")
Captura.PNG (9.15 KB)
Captura.PNG
Captura 2.PNG (8.35 KB)
Captura 2.PNG

Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:25 pm
Is it just the Sonic sprite smaller in the Game Gear version?

Playing the converted GG2SMS version, trees and spikes, as well as other objects, seem to be smaller too.

EDIT: This YouTube video probably explains everything, since it's more than 1 hour explaining all the differences between SMS and GG games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXg7Nsfhb6k
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:19 pm
dplc81 wrote

Playing the converted GG2SMS version, trees and spikes, as well as other objects, seem to be smaller too.

EDIT: This YouTube video probably explains everything, since it's more than 1 hour explaining all the differences between SMS and GG games:

The Sonic sprite is smaller, yes, and its hit-box is smaller too. It can't be bigger due to the memory banks assigned to the character.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:52 pm
tailsnic, nice to see your adapted sprites to Sonic 1 Game Gear ;)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 pm
dplc81 wrote

Yea everything seems to be smaller that's why tailsnic had to adapt the sonic sprite because the master system one wouldn't fit.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:29 am
Although I always felt GG Sonic 1's face was a little squished, I liked the size of him better. In the later Sonic's he just felt like he was taking up too much of the screen. Anyway, your new sprite is vast improvement over the original.

Is there anyway to fix Sonic's shield in the GG version? It's too small and it looks ridiculous.

Perhaps as future projects you could also replace Sonic in Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble with the SMS sonic 1 sprite. Those were butt ugly. Come to think of it, all of Sonic Chaos was butt ugly. The whole game should be retiled.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:35 am
The buble size is also fixed in this hack, xD. It has the exact size of sonic ball when jumping.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:34 am
Anonymous Coward wrote

Perhaps as future projects you could also replace Sonic in Sonic Chaos and Triple Trouble with the SMS sonic 1 sprite. Those were butt ugly. Come to think of it, all of Sonic Chaos was butt ugly. The whole game should be retiled.

I totally agree. I hate the look of sonic in sonic chaos and onwards . They are all butt ugly.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:34 pm
Hi all. I gladly announce that the final ROM of Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition is done.

I have uploaded it in 2 versions:

- Version 1.05 - Based on original Game Gear version v1.0
- Version 1.15 - Based on original Game Gear version v1.1

Both versions have many sprites fixed and well adapted. Hope you enjoy them.
Sonic The Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition v1_05.zip (152.56 KB)
Sonic The Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition v1_05
Sonic The Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition v1_15.zip (152.58 KB)
Sonic The Hedgehog Game Gear - SMS Style Edition v1_15

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:44 pm
Great, great work! Could you attach all your sprite edits to this thread? (if the ones above are not all of them) -- I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to put these back into the SMS version (I should be able to fix the collision detection) as this would save some much needed VRAM to pull off other hacks, such as extended screen height.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:11 pm
I told you before... amazing job and result.
Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:37 pm
Sonic The Hedgehog GG - SMS Style Edition V1_15 GG2SMS

- PATCH FOR TO PLAY IN MASTER SYSTEM CONSOLE
- Remember patch V1.1 original Game Gear Rom
- Graphics credits goes to "tailsnic"
- Coded conversion credits goes to "BcnAbel76"
- This is an hybrid patch, mixing Game Gear Sonic 1 Game, with adapted Master System Sonic 1 Sprites
- Fixed checksum
- START/PAUSE is "1" Button

Conversion by "tailsnc" & "BcnAbel76"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:05 pm
Kroc wrote
Great, great work! Could you attach all your sprite edits to this thread? (if the ones above are not all of them) -- I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to put these back into the SMS version (I should be able to fix the collision detection) as this would save some much needed VRAM to pull off other hacks, such as extended screen height.

Sincerely, I think that it's a waste of time to adapt those sprites to SMS original ROM. The Master System's originals are better for size, but I can upload them again (the one's of the first post are outdated). I don't have the bubble one ready on a file, so I have to dump it tomorrow.
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:08 am
Is it possible to make the shield go from Sonic's head to toe like in the master system version, or is memory too tight?
Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:15 am
Anonymous Coward wrote
Is it possible to make the shield go from Sonic's head to toe like in the master system version, or is memory too tight?

The memory, xD.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:03 pm
tailsnic wrote

The memory, xD.

Lol xD
Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:19 pm
Sonic The Hedgehog GG - SMS Style Edition V1_151 GG2SMS

- Fixed SEGA Voice at Init Logo Screen

Conversion by BcnAbel76

Post Posted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:45 pm
Hi, I was waiting for this hack long time ago It's finished now and I'm happy. I have a complaint, found a little saturated the part of the down eyelid and the shoulders I modified these sprites like this one pixel only:
-White X modified down eyelid
-Red X modified shoulder

The eyelid is more faithful compared to the SMS version, and the shoulder part seems to me more natural now.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:13 am
FeRcHuLeS wrote
Hi, I was waiting for this hack long time ago It's finished now and I'm happy. I have a complaint, found a little saturated the part of the down eyelid and the shoulders I modified these sprites like this one pixel only:
-White X modified down eyelid
-Red X modified shoulder

The eyelid is more faithful compared to the SMS version, and the shoulder part seems to me more natural now.

Those sprites are old, xD.I modified a lot of them, but the shoulders and eyes not. I'll take in mind.
Post Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:57 am
I would say good job, But I thought it was a SMS Style Edition with the Level Layout from the SMS version
Post Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:20 pm
KnightWarrior wrote
I would say good job, But I thought it was a SMS Style Edition with the Level Layout from the SMS version

Sorry for that, xD.
Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:15 am
I don't know who has uploaded my rom on Romhacking.net, but I have to thank him. I have registered with my "tailsnic" account, and I have updated the correct images.
Many thanks for that.
Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:31 pm
This is some great work. Well done!

I was wondering if it's remotely possible to combine the SMS version of this hack with the FM sound hack?

I'm guessing that ROM size would be an issue but even an emulator only version would be way past cool (see what I did there?)!.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!