Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - No video on Master system II

Reply to topic
No video on Master system II
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:21 pm
Hi people, new to these forums :)

But to the point

i bought a MS2 a little while back and it never worked, it doesn't display video (completely black screen) but the audio is fine. Today i finally got around to trying to replace the 7805 Voltage regulator, since it had blown up, but that still didn't fix te problem. so now im kinda out of ideas.. so, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:43 pm
Kevin huiskamp wrote

But to the point

i bought a MS2 a little while back and it never worked, it doesn't display video (completely black screen) but the audio is fine. Today i finally got around to trying to replace the 7805 Voltage regulator, since it had blown up, but that still didn't fix te problem. so now im kinda out of ideas.. so, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

As you don't specify the Model. I will post about some of them.
Some models have a fuse between VCC and video encoder CXA 1145P, check if your model has this fuse.
If you have a Tec Toy MS2, then this model has a second regulator circuit using a transistor BD135 (T50), a zener diode(DZ1) of 13V and a resistor (R51) Of 330R.
Sometimes just replacing the coupling capacitor on composite video line connected to pin 20 of CXA1145P after a 75R resistor solve this.
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:25 pm
Neto wrote
Kevin huiskamp wrote

But to the point

Thanks!

Some models have a fuse between VCC and video encoder CXA 1145P, check if your model has this fuse.
If you have a Tec Toy MS2, then this model has a second regulator circuit using a transistor BD135 (T50), a zener diode(DZ1) of 13V and a resistor (R51) Of 330R.
Sometimes just replacing the coupling capacitor on composite video line connected to pin 20 of CXA1145P after a 75R resistor solve this.

Thanks for responding so fast! the model number is 3006-09 it's the PAL version. i really don't know where to find the chips you said since the numbers of the chips don't match up with the ones you mentiond..
bord.PNG (1.81 MB)
bord.PNG

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:47 pm
Kevin huiskamp wrote
Neto wrote
Kevin huiskamp wrote

But to the point

i bought a MS2 a little while back and it never worked, it doesn't display video (completely black screen) but the audio is fine. ....

Thanks!

Some models have a fuse between VCC and video encoder CXA ....

Thanks for responding so fast! the model number is 3006-09 it's the PAL version. i really don't know where to find the chips you said since the numbers of the chips don't match up with the ones you mentiond..

This model does not have composite video output. Using regular AV cable will result in audio only.

This model is RGB only.
Are you connecting this Master System to a RGB monitor or some Type of RGB converter?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:05 pm
Neto wrote
Kevin huiskamp wrote
Neto wrote
Kevin huiskamp wrote

But to the point

i bought a MS2 a little while back and it never worked, it doesn't display video (completely black screen) but the audio is fine. ....

Thanks!

Some models have a fuse between VCC and video encoder CXA ....

This model does not have composite video output. Using regular AV cable will result in audio only.

This model is RGB only.
Are you connecting this Master System to a RGB monitor or some Type of RGB converter?

Oh well crap, i didn't know it was RGB only I was using a Composite lead from a commodore 64 i guess i'll get a SCART lead and try again, Do the sega genesis model 1 scart cables work on the master system 2?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:15 pm
Kevin huiskamp wrote

Oh well crap, i didn't know it was RGB only I was using a Composite lead from a commodore 64 i guess i'll get a SCART lead and try again, Do the sega genesis model 1 scart cables work on the master system 2?

No, this model requires a specific cable adapter:
"Adapteur R.V.B.", Model 3085 -> http://www.smspower.org/Development/AdapteurRVB
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:28 pm
Neto wrote
Kevin huiskamp wrote

No, this model requires a specific cable adapter:
"Adapteur R.V.B.", Model 3085 -> http://www.smspower.org/Development/AdapteurRVB

Is that the only way to get any picture out of this thing?
i dont see that whole adapter thing coming with it in the box... right?
can't i do like a direct mod to the motherboard to get any sort of video straight from there?
Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:07 pm
Kevin huiskamp wrote

Is that the only way to get any picture out of this thing?
i dont see that whole adapter thing coming with it in the box... right?
can't i do like a direct mod to the motherboard to get any sort of video straight from there?

Connecting a Genesis RGB cable direct will result in a Dark Picture because the signal coming from VDP cannot drive a 75 Ohm load.

If you want to use a Genesis RGB cable you can make the RGB buffer inside the Master System. I have added in attachment a schematic which you can build inside the console. You will need three of them one for each RGB component.

Original page with instructions in Portuguese:
http://neto-games.com.br/hardware/sms_tt_rgb.php
sms_tt_rgb_esquema_amplificador[1].png (11.36 KB)
Master System RGB Buffer
sms_tt_rgb_esquema_amplificador[1].png

Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!