SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - SEGA SG-1000/SC-3000 Assembly development

Reply to topic
SEGA SG-1000/SC-3000 Assembly development
Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:04 pm
Hello to All,

It's good to see that this community is growing day by day. It's a long time I don't come here, but now I have a project that may be interesting for the SG-1000/SC-3000 "retro-programmer".

In order to start I have to seriously consider the idea to develop the code in Assembly but honestly I don't know exactly from where to start, I mean I know "more or less" how SG-1000/SC-3000 machines work ;), but I would like to have a better and clear idea on how to setup a development environment in order to program a custom cartridge.

Here there are a couple of questions:
1) What is the best solution Editor/Compiler should I use?
2) Is there a kind of a Cartridge template I can start coding from? Something like: setup the interrupts, setup the memory etc etc...

For now thank you all, have a nice evening/day :)
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:40 pm
You could get started with Maxim's how to program tutorials
http://www.smspower.org/maxim/HowToProgram/Lesson1

They are for the SMS but only the video stuff would be different for SG-1000/SC-3000. For this you can probably refer to MSX centric tutorials if you need help.And I'd recommend using MEKA 0.8x as a debugger.

I was under the impression that you wrote an SC-3000 emulator so I expect you'd get on that very fast. :)
Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:03 pm
Hi Bock,

thank you for the link, I will try that tutorial :) And yes I wrote a SC-3000 emulator in Actionscript3: www.play-sc-3000.com.

In any case, I wrote to you an email with a few more details on the project ;) Let's see what I can do with the Assembly development.

Thanks!
First Test
Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:56 pm
Hello guys,

Well I did my first test starting from the SF-7000 IPL disassembled ROM (thanks to MAXIM for the good work).

I started writing a kind of asm cartridge start template, so I kept the basic routines that initialize the VDP, the PSG, Memory etc. The attached example just shows a simple message, but I will develop a main routine with a state machine that handles a kind of special memory mapper. Let's see what I can do ;)

For now thank you for your suggestions, and by the way MEKA 0.8 is great!
XtremeCart_FirstTest.jpg (14.12 KB)
Snapshot for the first cartridge test
XtremeCart_FirstTest.jpg

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:18 am
Bimbo72 wrote
Hello guys,

Well I did my first test starting from the SF-7000 IPL disassembled ROM (thanks to MAXIM for the good work).

I started writing a kind of asm cartridge start template, so I kept the basic routines that initialize the VDP, the PSG, Memory etc. The attached example just shows a simple message, but I will develop a main routine with a state machine that handles a kind of special memory mapper. Let's see what I can do ;)

For now thank you for your suggestions, and by the way MEKA 0.8 is great!

Hi Bimbo72

Did you ever get a sc3000 cartridge template working?

Am trying to get a hello world example working as a base for further sc3000 dev, and am struggling.

cheers
Daryn
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!