Forums

Sega Master System / Mark III / Game Gear
SG-1000 / SC-3000 / SF-7000 / OMV
Home - Forums - Games - Scans - Maps - Cheats - Credits
Music - Videos - Development - Hacks - Translations - Homebrew

View topic - [Music competition 2016] Nagato Yuki no Kokoro ni Aru mono by sherpa

Reply to topic

Rate this entry!

1 (Poor) 0% 0%
2 0% 0%
3 0% 0%
4 11% 11%
5 22% 22%
6 0% 0%
7 55% 55%
8 0% 0%
9 (Excellent) 11% 11%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Music competition 2016] Nagato Yuki no Kokoro ni Aru mono by sherpa
Post Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:10 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Music/NagatoYukiNoKokoroNiAruMono-Homebrew

sherpa wrote
Hey guys. I figured i'd try participating, even minimally.

This is a bit premature, but i might as well get my feet wet.

If I don't have time to remaster the instruments or do anything original, I thought I'd submit this piece by Keigo Hoashi.

It's largely based on a transcription on Jellynote by Hao-Cheng Miles. I was working on transcribing the song over a year ago and found his score after looking for some time. After all this time, i don't remember what i contributed to the version i have locally, from april last year. I imagine a few edits here and there. I was originally intending to do something with this song and chipmusic, but was pretty busy with other similar projects.

It might be possible to improve the contrast in timbre by creatng a custom instrument, but it may not be enough, and 8 bit music limits us to one such instrument. The choice of FM was partially based on the desire to at least work with something that resembles the original timbre. This is probably inferior to a midi version and it has none of the techniques unique to 8 bit chiptune music or any particular mastery in general. It is my second attempt to explore making such music. I used MML for the eventual control I hope it will give me, but i may have been able to work just as easy on a tracker, which i have become slightly more familiar with. There are advantages to each. In this case, the choice to use 8 bit FM instruments forced my hand. It's possible i might have used VGM Music Maker, but i have no idea how to recreate the sms FM instruments at this time.

This is the kind of music I tend to like and remember. If I have time I may add dynamics, timbre, and pacing. Not sure i'll be skilled enough to add any original material at this point. I'm barely a musician even without the limitations of having to translate musical ideas through unfamiliar software.

I hope someone appreciates this, and if you hear something you like, check out the original source. One of my favorite movies, anime or otherwise, unexpectedly. I'm sure the great music helped.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:14 pm
The volume for me, is very low, so i had to crank the volume up on my speakers. The absence of the noise channel is an interesting stylistic choice, but i do think it works very nicely for orchestral music. The song sound soothing and nice, really cool.
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:36 am
From the standpoint of someone who doesn't create music himself I find it very well done. It has this nice heavyness or sadness to it while being kind of majestic.

-----
formerly known as flippi
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:56 pm
I had to look up the source and can say that I was surprised when I found Haruhi Suzumiya. I haven't really followed the animation, and have only read Melancholy and Sigh, which only hinted at a darker tone for the series, so I hope I didn't ruin any hidden twists or turns by listening to this :P

The track itself is honestly flat, and I understand it was more or less just a transcription to FM. But, it has quite a lot of potential, and I could see it being just as moving as the original. I hope that you get around to adding effects and playing with the sound, because even something as simple as vibrato would give so much more depth and emotion to the synths. Good luck.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 12:57 am
Thank you guys for the generous feedback. I was a bit worried there, when i didn't see other music entries so close to the deadline. I don't have access to a machine atm, but i submitted an entry just to participate and maybe bring some attention to a nice piece.

I think the mp3 has had its noise level increased via plugin so it may not scale as it would on a real system. I don't have access to the mml score atm or the necessary tools, but earlier I did play at modifying the volume levels to approximate a crescendo, but I did not get far enough and did not have time to go through the piece and make the necessary dynamic and tempo changes. So we stayed with what we submitted some weeks back. I still haven't figured out how to apply vibrato (is it pitch envelope?) or anything else, so this piece is really very basic. I wasn't planning on anything beyond participation, so it was either this or nothing in the time i had available.

I've enjoyed listening to the other pieces, particularly those that made use of the chip, though the real instrument covers of existing songs were also pretty nice. Glad to see I wasn't the only one who used MML, though i haven't had time to really experiment or master it.

I haven't been able to test this years' software entries, but we had a great turnout. There seem to be some pretty nice gems in this year's competition. I'll have to try them out, unfortunately it will probably be after the voting window closes.

Keep up the good work guys!
Happy 19th!
Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:43 am
I don't know the source, but I can surely appreciate this tune! :) I imagine the story-starting first screens of a Phantasy Star-like RGP, with this music helping to emphasize how our brave hero must face the overwhelming danger and save the kingdom...
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!