6 0% 0%
7 20% 20%
8 40% 40%
9 (Excellent) 20% 20%
This poll has expired.
  • Site Admin
[Hack competition 2016] Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 by ian
Post Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:53 pm
http://www.smspower.org/Hacks/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld-SMS-AlexKiddInMiracleWorld2...

ian wrote
I came up with the concept for this game back in 2012 when I first started learning how to hack Alex Kidd in Miracle World. I learned how to manually change things in the code, like the level layout, sprites and palettes. However, given my lack of experience and knowledge, I quickly realised that it was going to be too big a job for me.

Fast forward a few years and the brilliant program KiddEd comes along. With that, I was able to realise my vision. I started creating the game in May 2015 and I'd say as of now, it's about 80% complete. I've had fantastic support from Calindro (creator of KiddEd), helping me with fixing bugs and other issues.

The game is a direct sequel to the original Alex Kidd in Miracle World (and ignores the events of Enchanted Castle on MD).

Story
It's been 6 months since Alex defeated Janken the Great and reclaimed 'The Crown'. Alex's brother Egle has taken the throne and oversees the city of Radaxian. There is still unrest on the planet Aries however, as monsters still roam the land. Alex is still greatly concerned by the whereabouts of his missing father. Radaxian's forces have been unable to locate King Thunder, so Alex sets off himself to find him. He retraces his steps and returns to the place where the trail was lost. Perhaps there was something he missed.

The engine is the same as the original game but here are the changes I have made:
- New music (rearranged from the original) by tibone
- Whole new set of levels with lots of secrets and puzzles
- Alex sprite has longer hair (to reflect the time that has passed)
- New title screen
- New map screen (which covers the area east of the original game)
- New characters

The things I need to finish include:
- Finalise design for last 2 levels
- Add last boss
- Possibly redesign enemy sprites
- Possibly redesign Alex sprite (again)
- Possibly redesign tiles for level layout
- Finalise text
- Bug fixes
  • Site Admin
Post Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 pm
Nice work!
The second helicopter stage is too hard and there's no checkpoints, I think I am giving up :)
Post Posted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:10 pm
It's really nice. I like how it picks up where part 1 left off. Unfortunately, the difficulty level picks up there as well, so it's strictly for expert players.
Post Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:29 pm
Awww, i feel bad for not finishing up the music.
You should have pressured me more Ian. (See, i can try to reverse the situation and NOT be blamed for being lazy).

Sorry about it, i am working on finishing it, i promise you.

Also, i just tried the hack and it's really good. The story is well fleshed out and the level designs are really cool. The game is harder than the original, but if the player is (like many of us are) a master on the original game, you can get by.

The lack of checkpoints is something that bothered me a little.

Great work Ian. :)
Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:39 pm
Hello. Long time sporadic lurker and first poster.

Just wanted to express how excited I am to check this mod out. It looks spectacular.
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:17 am
bumtree wrote
Hello. Long time sporadic lurker and first poster.

Likewise! These KiddEd mods are making me so excited as a lifelong Alex Kidd player.

Just finished Alex Kidd 2 - loved it. The last castle was absolutely epic and I loved all the hidden secrets and walls. Great work!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback.

The difficulty level is always a tricky thing to get right. I thought it was fairly reasonable but people seem to be struggling. Like the original, it's not really a game you're meant to complete first time.

The helicopter stage is the same as the original in that there are no checkpoints. Believe it or not, my first design for that level was even harder.

Any further feedbacks/comments are much appreciated!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:58 am
Wow so much work has gone in to this hack.

The levels don't feel hackish at all, feel complete and well layed out. Difficulty is high however it never feels outright cheap. Only issue i felt was difficulty is sporadic rather than curved.

Alex Kidd physics has always made tight platforming difficult. The jungle level without the bike is possible just a little too much in this regard. This level stands out in difficulty in what is already a difficult game.

I feel you made really good use of the game play mechanics in the engine. The game starts to play with your head towards the end with all those puzzle like elements. The dead end room in blue castle had me stumped until i remembered the letter.

A lot of secrets too. I got the letter, did I miss anything else. The room before the dead end room gave me the felling I had missed something.

Very enjoyable, I noticed a few bugs which i list below.

- First castle like stage (mountain like graphics). The first ladder you go up in normal progression, if you go down this ladder game resets to title screen for me.

- Blue castle. Near beginning you need to go in a loop to get access to fish block which opens new passage. Fish block does not open new passage if you have the ring power up. I died and tried again with no ring power up and got through.

- On end text screen there is placeholder text before real end credits begin.

Nice work!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:39 am
I'm playing this since yesterday, liked a lot this "hack", but i thought that the difficult level is high.
With a little training i may be able to get to the end of it soon.
Liked so much that, that now i really want to get a Everdrive or this on a cartridge just for playing it in the real SMS.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:37 pm
Lots of coverage of this in Brazil:

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/2016/04/19/fas-criam-sequencia-nao-ofic...
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:12 pm
Really enjoying this great work.
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:43 pm
psidum wrote
Wow so much work has gone in to this hack.

The levels don't feel hackish at all, feel complete and well layed out. Difficulty is high however it never feels outright cheap. Only issue i felt was difficulty is sporadic rather than curved.

Alex Kidd physics has always made tight platforming difficult. The jungle level without the bike is possible just a little too much in this regard. This level stands out in difficulty in what is already a difficult game.

I feel you made really good use of the game play mechanics in the engine. The game starts to play with your head towards the end with all those puzzle like elements. The dead end room in blue castle had me stumped until i remembered the letter.

A lot of secrets too. I got the letter, did I miss anything else. The room before the dead end room gave me the felling I had missed something.

Very enjoyable, I noticed a few bugs which i list below.

- First castle like stage (mountain like graphics). The first ladder you go up in normal progression, if you go down this ladder game resets to title screen for me.

- Blue castle. Near beginning you need to go in a loop to get access to fish block which opens new passage. Fish block does not open new passage if you have the ring power up. I died and tried again with no ring power up and got through.

- On end text screen there is placeholder text before real end credits begin.

Nice work!

Thanks for the great feedback!

I think I still need to work on some of the level designs. There are definitely some areas that need refining and I should really address the issue of people finding it too difficult.

I'm glad you solved the letter puzzle. I also included a visual clue in the room to try make it a bit easier. The empty room before the dead end is just because I hadn't got around to creating another room layout!

Thanks for pointing out the bugs. I'm not sure why the game resets on the mountain stage at that particular ladder. The fish block in the blue castle is an easy fix. The ending text hasn't been written yet hence the placeholder.

Niloct wrote
Lots of coverage of this in Brazil:

http://jogos.uol.com.br/ultimas-noticias/2016/04/19/fas-criam-sequencia-nao-ofic...

I spotted that one popular Brazilian YouTuber did a gameplay of it and it's received 25k+ views!
Awesome work!
Post Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:27 pm
Last edited by GuitarDreamer on Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Awesome work, dude! Well done, and thank you! I registered an account just to give you congratulations for this magnific work!

I'll stay tuned for the news. I don't want to miss any update. Finished the game same day and I'm playing again and again to find the secrets that you put into the game. Already found the King's Letter at least. :D

I just wonder if someone could bring to us an Alex Kidd in Shinobi World or a Kenseiden editor someday... For a while, it's just a dream. But one of them now is reality. Thanks, again!

Greetings from a brazilian that loves Master System!
Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:33 am
GuitarDreamer wrote
Awesome work, dude! Well done, and thank you! I registered an account just to give you congratulations for this magnific work!

I'll stay tuned for the news. I don't want to miss any update. Finished the game same day and I'm playing again and again to find the secrets that you put into the game. Already found the Hirotta Stone at least. :D

I just wonder if someone could bring to us an Alex Kidd in Shinobi World or a Kenseiden editor someday... For a while, it's just a dream. But one of them now is reality. Thanks, again!

Greetings from a brazilian that loves Master System!

Hey dude, just wanted to say I have been loving your Master System covers on YouTube for years! :D
Post Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:48 am
reno wrote

Hey dude, just wanted to say I have been loving your Master System covers on YouTube for years! :D

Man, it's amazing to read that! Thank you, really! I really love Master System, and find people who like my musical work is always a pleasure, especially in a place that has so much zeal and passion for the Master System as SMS Power. I love the retrogaming culture, but my favorite in all of this is Master System, by far. Thanks again, dude!
Post Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:23 pm
Friends. I would like to thank you for the game development effort. I know that the beta of the game Alex Kid In Miracle World 2 is only 80 % complete. Looking to collaborate report errors inform one possible error that occurred to me. At the stage of fire mountain cave after the forests on a screen that has a ladder and just above it a flame of fire approaching how we advance the screen . Realizing that she was coming back to low screen and the game reset . How was playing directly into the console via Master Everdrive could not test again. Congratulations on the project.
Upload latest version
Post Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:05 pm
I've made a few alterations and bug fixes.
How do I upload the latest version?

• Site Admin
Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:52 am
Right now the forum is the best way, we'll add it to the page soon.

Edit: added, I also gave you edit rights on that page although others have reported the uploads don't work right.
Post Posted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:34 am
ian wrote
Thanks for the feedback.

The difficulty level is always a tricky thing to get right. I thought it was fairly reasonable but people seem to be struggling. Like the original, it's not really a game you're meant to complete first time.

The helicopter stage is the same as the original in that there are no checkpoints. Believe it or not, my first design for that level was even harder.

Any further feedbacks/comments are much appreciated!

Hi Ian! as u can guess from my nickname, I'm an old huge fan of Alex kidd in miracle world, which is by far, to me, the best videogame EVER made in history.
I tried several 'mod versions' before, and I'm so happy I found, some days ago, this GREAT WONDERFUL one.
I want to thank you from the heart Ian, I was looking for this 'level of beautifulness' in a Alex mod for so long!
I haven't competed yet the game because I want to enjoy every single level in every pixel (just completed the volcano/mountain stage.... my God I damn love it!), but, if u can read this, I'd like to humbly give you some little suggestion.
I played miracle world thousand times in my life, so I think I'm qualified enough, at least, to TRY to ask u... Please let me know if you have time :)
Again, thank you Ian, and thank you for existing.
Daniele
Post Posted: Sun May 22, 2016 10:12 pm
Hey, just got to what I assume is the end for now and I thought this was pretty cool; I like the settings, most of the new music and the new graphics are nice overall. It's on the easy side though and kind of repetitive, with too many horizontal left to right levels (also with the same music in them).
As for the puzzles, most of them are good, but a few seem to rely on memorization or trial & error like the hidden path in the mountain right after a few swamp pits (that you had to jump down a pit and push towards the wall to find and it's fairly easy to walk too far for that on your first playthrough) or the extra life at the end of the boat level.

There's also a room in the "cave castle" level where you can easily farm a bunch of lives by entering and exiting via a ladder.

Anyway, nice work and I hope you keep working on it.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:14 pm
Hello,
Can anyone help me to play the game?
I have downloaded ian's patch for the new game, I apply it to a Alex Kidd in Miracle World ROM, I get a successful operation, I start the game but after the map screen, it bugs (screenshot attached).

I've tried through three different emulators, Dega, KFusion and Meka (in which I get an almost different result, a blue screen).
Am I doing anything wrong?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:56 pm
extra skater wrote
Hello,
Can anyone help me to play the game?
I have downloaded ian's patch for the new game, I apply it to a Alex Kidd in Miracle World ROM, I get a successful operation, I start the game but after the map screen, it bugs (screenshot attached).

I've tried through three different emulators, Dega, KFusion and Meka (in which I get an almost different result, a blue screen).
Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi extra skater,

you are using the wrong version of the Alex Kidd in Miracle World ROM. You need v1.1.
Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:51 pm
Calindro wrote

Hi extra skater,

you are using the wrong version of the Alex Kidd in Miracle World ROM. You need v1.1.

Thank you so much, Calindro! I looked for the v1.1 version and indeed it worked!

Greatest experience!
Post Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:38 pm
Oh, I completely missed that thread.

The screenshots look great, please guys take your time to complete this game. After all these efforts, it´s a shame to not finish it at all.

Maybe it´s possible to bringt it on cart in a small run later =) To play this at home on TV would be a great, nostalgic experience.
My ideas - Sorry for my English
Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:35 am
First of all to appear since I am new and come from Spain. My name is Mariano and I am a great enthusiast of Master System. I want to congratulate so much the equipment of the Web as which marvellous game has made this and that for me is the Alex Kidd's best sequel in Miracle World. Knowing that one is working in ending the game and still things are going to be retouched it did not want to stop to spend the opportunity to express my impressions after playing it and to finish it in more than 15 occasions with the only intention of improving it if it fits:
The first thing on that I want to comment to you is that always I end the game with 12 lives of surplus and approximately 4000 in money. Though the game has a good level of difficulty what I see is that many lives can be obtained by excessive facility and money.In the second phase 2 lives can be obtained by the boxes by interrogation and in the secret room three more by what 5 lives in the phase 2 more the 4 of entry it is too much, I think that to obtain a life for finding the secret room is nice; also there are several phases that after completing them can obtain several lives and I would leave it in one as the first phase of helicopter, I am charmed with the phase of the wolf but obtaining 2 lives am very much again, also on the secret screen of the cave in which you have 2 united lives and in the descent to the lake to obtain the letter 3 lives are obtained by many facility. As for the money I think that it is necessary to reduce the quantity to fit a bit to what he needs during the game.
The second question that I would improve is the following thing and is that when you are in the phase of the cave for example and you find the secret screen that before it was mentioning with 2 lives and money if you enter and take everything and then you return to enter the money continues being for what you can take infinite money, in the original game once gather was disappearing as well as the lives eliminate the money it should do it also.
Is the third thing on that I want to comment to you that so much in the cave like the blue castle there are several screens that if you go back you can take the box with? Again and this way to obtain lives of unlimited form, one meets very easy and is in the part of above of the cave already almost coming ultimately, and other one in the blue castle on a screen that there are 2 meetings and that it is possible to return constant, this as the lives and the money I propose you that once gather disappears.
The fourth thing on that I want to comment to you goes of colors and is that in the following phase of the green castle both sky and sea are of the same color and does not differ in spite of travelling on tiles this phase there is done to me that it needs to change a color and another point where the color makes me rare is in the water part just after obtaining the letter since the breakable blocks have a yellow symbol that meets very strident and for it me does not stay well.
And already to finish it wanted to suggest 3 things that to my particularly I would like that it had the game, the first one it is an octopus in someone of the phases of water as it had the first game and better site does not happen to me him to put that defending the entry to the secret chamber where the letter is obtained, the second thing is to add the trick that had the first game and that was allowing to continue, it yes with an economic cost of 1000 instead of the 400 of the first game and the third one is a manual and front page in order that the game is complete.
I wait bear in mind someone of these changes that I comment to you and am sorry to add work to this list that already you have of hanging things for doing:
• Finalise design for last 2 levels
• Add last boss
• Possibly redesign enemy sprites
• Possibly redesign Alex sprite (again)
• Possibly redesign tiles for level layout
• Finalise text
• Bug fixes
In any case to be grateful to you for the great effort and the great work that you have done. A Greeting
Don´t work with real hardware
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:10 am
Today I tried to burn an eprom and run it into my Pal euro Master System II and the tipycall software error.
Donor Cart is an after burner and with mapper chip.
In other console with jap bios mod works without problems.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:00 pm
Wrong checksum in the header. Fix it using some tool like this one to calculate the correct checksum and an hex editor to update it.
Post Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:43 pm
Thanks sverx for the info but please guide me the steps to fix it.
I can´t find how to make it.
This is the information that gives me the program about the rom.
Thanks in advance for your patient with a begginer.
Screen.jpg (61.33 KB)
Screen.jpg

Finally I found the way
Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:39 am
Finally I founf how to do it in you tube.
There is a channel called the sega guru that explain that.
Thanks
Great game!
Post Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:55 pm
Finally my dream come true!!! that's an amazing game. In the beginning schemes are short and easy but, after volcano, game is quite hard and complicated, maybe more than the original one. I like it!
I would make just a few remarks, it seems impossible to buy the life in the shop, but it is ok, even in the original game happened. But after that you can start to collect a huge amount of money which it is not needed (I reached the end of the blue castle and I rarely used money), you can add some shop somewhere.
then, the ring! you can find rings almost in each level, sometime twice in the same level, that's so useless and annoying. In the original game you can find ring maybe just 3 times in the whole game.
You never inserted any boss at the end of schemes, janken game was part of Alex Kidd and now it has disappeared.
Then a technical problem. In the water, If Alex died on the stings it could happens that he reappears on the stings wasting all the lifes.
Congrats for having eliminated the problem of the helicopter, in the original games if Alex died, you cannot have it again and the scheme became impossible, nothing to do but start again from the beginning. now if you died, Alex still has helicopter. thank you.
Just a request, why don't you include somewhere a bonus scheme with a level taken from Alex Kidd BMX? that's would be great!!
I cannot wait to play the game completed.
Thanks for all the work you are doing.
Reply to topic

Back to the top of this page

Back to SMS Power!